collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reasons to be Cheerful?  (Read 15523 times)

Offline sonlyme

Reasons to be Cheerful?
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »
It is 3am.  I am sitting at home all alone – work is 36 hours away – my lad is away camping.  My gonads are freshly emptied (thank you Mrs Simpson), I have been fed, and there is nothing on telly, so my mind has turned to the inevitable - AstonVilla and the transfer window.

And after reading all the recycled copy and the endless comments on what the club – Misters McLeish or Lerner, have or have not done – I am troubled by a singular question. What is it with the internet and Villa fans?

Now I can’t say that our bit of last minute transfer window has me sporting a fine erection either, but neither am I contemplating vaulting off the nearest tall building.

My own personal opinion of the merits of our new players aside – what has struck me lies not in the bland media reportage (why do players always ‘hail’ colleagues and ‘eye’ opportunities?) no, what has struck me are the comments underneath these bland reports.

Page upon page of ‘woe is me’ and ‘the sky is falling’ coming from the internet Villans.

Here’s a sample of Villa fans on our final business.

Really... What are they going to offer that we dont/didnt have!! 2 rubbish purchases!! i for one am not happy
Calbeanie

Well a lot of us aint happy about the whole outa pocket scenario we find ourselves in with a depleted squad but to be honest beggers cant be choosers as they say :l
ClivetheVillan

absolute rubbish why has it taken till the last few hours to sign 2 players, since l young and makoun both went on friday and saturday, panic buying at its worse i really think lerner is going to sell up very soon?
banksie

FFS, we really are a laughing stock. More rejects from teams that we were on a par with a few years ago. There's NO marmite, he's just very average who makes more mistakes than chances.
Villan444

Now I don’t want to get into an argument about the worth of the individual players involved here.  I am interested in the reactions to these transfers.  And what I am seeing is a disconnect - a 180 degree difference in how the two sets of fans (on the internet) are reacting.

Here’s some Spurs fans reacting in the Daily Mail

Two players who Redknapp did not give a fair run to, If Jenas plays then I agree he will be instrumental in the midfield, good engine hard worker box to box player, what Tottenham dont now have! And Hutton he looks good going forward as he showed last season when he scored a couple, I'd try him as a right mid / winger, he could be like Gareth Bale, quality crosser of the ball. Our loss your gain, If Redknapp don't like you then your out !

- Mike, Bromley, 01/9/2011 13:00

Jenas is a great signing for Villa. Vastly under rated at Spurs, he'll be back in the England squad by the end of the season with a full season under his belt. Good luck JJ, hopefully you'll get the first team starts you deserve.

- Tony, London, 01/9/2011 08:50

With the money they made at the sales they should have given spurs 8 million and get Jenas on a permanent 4 year deal. He is a good young player and will improve given time on the pitch.

- Tony Blaire, Godalming, 01/9/2011 05:41

Does anyone else notice a distinct difference in the two reactions.

Now I’m not saying these signings will be a success or a failure – I’ll leave that to Mystic Meg and the twats on TalkSport – what I am saying is that 'internet' Villa fans do appear to be significantly more miserable than the average premiership fan.

Is it the Villa?  Or is it the internet?  Or is it the fact that Habib didn't go to Hull after all?  If it's the latter - I'll let it lie, as I am considerably more miserable that yow!

UTV

Offline adrenachrome

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »
Much of our fan base is carrying heavy shopping which is causing shoulders to droop. It must be conceded that events at B6 are doing little to lighten their onerous burden.  If anything, lead bricks are gleefully being added to the load.

Offline eastie

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:21:49 PM »
seems to me you have picked the bad villa comments and the good spurs comments -hardly a cross section of opinion, many spus fans dont rate jenas and hutton and many do but you only show the good comments-similar to many fans who have still support for randy but you only show his critics comments-pointless exercise really unless you show a cross section of views rather than what you want people to see.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »
The answer is simple...

Some of us are getting fed and our Gonads regularly emptied.... as you have put it and, some who might use the internet aren't.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »
Oh come on, surely everyone who uses the internet regularly empties their gonads?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:20:56 PM »
Jenas will come good. I can see him getting into the England squad within the next two months, it's just the way Villa works.. we turn seemingly average talents into internationals. I still can't get over the fact he's 29, still a kid to me.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
Jenas will come good. I can see him getting into the England squad within the next two months, it's just the way Villa works.. we turn seemingly average talents into internationals. I still can't get over the fact he's 29, still a kid to me.

Your not Jermaine Jenas are you?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »

Your not Jermaine Jenas are you?

Ha, surely not. I've browsed H&V for so long but I've only ever been involved on VT.. I figured it was time to expand.

He'll do well.. he needs a new challenge and a new manager to impress.

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 06:48:04 PM »
Today is my last day at work for just over two weeks.  That's good enough for me.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:01:16 PM »
Jenas will come good. I can see him getting into the England squad within the next two months, it's just the way Villa works.. we turn seemingly average talents into internationals.

Er, like who?  We've had some very good players recently like Barry, Milner and Young who have rightly gone onto play regularly for England, but some very average players like Sidwell, NRC and Knight who haven't.  Can't think of many average players who have gone on to blossom at Villa after signing.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »
Jenas will come good. I can see him getting into the England squad within the next two months, it's just the way Villa works.. we turn seemingly average talents into internationals.

Er, like who?  We've had some very good players recently like Barry, Milner and Young who have rightly gone onto play regularly for England, but some very average players like Sidwell, NRC and Knight who haven't.  Can't think of many average players who have gone on to blossom at Villa after signing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, that if Jenas had come to Villa at a young age like Milner, Young or Downing then his England future would have been much different. For some reason, our club has an ability to polish young and somewhat unsettled players into international gems. Jenas's promise in 2003/2004 was arguably higher than that of Young, Downing and Milner. We will see, but I think Jenas will get a call up by December.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
So what you meant to say is that we took good young players, and made them better, which I'd agree with.  Can't think of many turds we've polished.  And I can't see Jenas ever getting in the England squad again, he's hardly played for Spurs in the last two years and it's a good 7 years since he was a promising youngster.

Offline Vanilla

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
It's funny when you think, if you swap the name Jenas in the quotes from Spurs fans for Makoun, they would match completely what Villa fans think of his departure. 

Offline GJH

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 08:03:09 PM »
If Jenas and Hutton were any good then why have spurs let them go?
Hutton is a decent player but Jenas? If he stays fit maybe, but the kid has got glass legs!

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Harry takes talent for granted, there's no doubt about that. He will leave impact players on the bench and not think twice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal