collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Petrov not good enough  (Read 24777 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Petrov not good enough
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
I think Petrov has started the season in good form.  I'd just like to see us playing a proper 4-4-2 with Heskey not in the team.

I reckon we'd be in the bottom 6 if we'd tried to play 4-4-2 with the players we have. I'd rather we used Bannan but there's nothing wrong with the formation.

As for Petrov, he's played well in every game so far and we need his knowledge and experience in the side.

Agree entirely. Bannan for Heskey is the only change I would like to see, but Heskey is in for his set piece ability defensively as much as anything else I am sure.

Offline gaucho1966

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
Ireland deserves fuck all. He should take his chances when they come along.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Petrov can take as much credit as anybody for our unbeaten start to the season. He has been consistently good giving the lie to comments I saw on here during the summer such as "He will never manage 90 minutes now" or "His legs have gone". Every team needs its Mr. Reliable, doing much of the spadework, linking play - not necessarily during the spectacular but as soon as they are off the pitch you often find the team can lose its way.

If the internet had been around years ago we would probably have had `Bremner not good enough` and `Carrodus not good enough` threads.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 02:08:46 PM »
I am no fan of Petrov's but he wasn't the problem on Saturday.  Heskey on the other hand.  His total ineffectiveness is summed up by twice not even bothering to react to two crosses that Hennessy spilled in the box, any normal team would have predators on standby to put the ball in the net.  When Bent crossed one of them himself (Dean Saunders anyone), Heskey wasn't even in the box.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
I don't really see it. He's been decent enough so far this season. I'd definitely like a better player (hopefully one will come in) but he has certainly been one of our better performers so far this season.

I don't think a midfield of just Bannan and Delph would work. Both are good players but I can only see both of them together in a 3.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Petrov has had a good start to the season and is more than worth his place.

If Bannan is to get into the starting XI it will be at the expense of N'Zogbia, not Petrov.

Offline villa1

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
Said before the game on Saturday that Petrov seems to add that little bit of stability that we need at the moment.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »
My only complaint about Petrov so far, is his once-a-game obligatory, "blast-it-towards-goal-from-30-yards-out" shot, that always injures somebody in the crowd.  I really don't mind him taking it, but could he at least put on ON TARGET once in awhile?  Even if it's right at the keeper, there's still a chance for a rebound or a flubb.  Blasting it into the crowd does nothing but remove a spectator for next week.  No wonder we're down to only 30,000 a game now.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
Dennis Mortimer used to do exactly the same so now you know why our crowds were so low during the League winning season.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
Have to agree with the majority here, Petrov deserves his place, on current form a midfield of Petrov and Delph behind Nzog, Bannan and Gabby seems to be the way to go with Bent up top on his own.

I think Heskey playing in the role that would be perfect for Bannan is the biggest problem at the minute as wee Barry is looking more and more like the player we've been missing for the last few years and seeing an ageing, non-threatening forward playing in 'the hole' instead of him is a bit galling.

Online FatSam

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
Its all about getting the balance right, but Petrov is not strong enough defensively to play with the attack minded players we have in midfield with him at the moment. Play with 3 in the middle and he'd be a good balance with a Bannan or Delph further forward, and someone doing what Reo Coker used to do, albeit a better version.
We've conceded one goal in three games so far. Admittedly against some fairly blunt attacks, but for the sort of game we're playing at the moment creativity is the issue. We've been defensively fairly solid.

Also, going into Saturday's match Petrov had made more interceptions than any other player in the division. There will be sterner tests during the course of the season, but from what has happened so far, I agree that defending is not the problem.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 04:51:12 PM »
Excellent is a bit strong. Competent perhaps.

Can we compromise on "pretty good" ?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
Step forward the scapegoat for the 2011-12 season.   He's been pretty close on several other occasions.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »
I can't remember the last time that I was happy with the centre of midfield, seems like for the last decade we have been 'soft' in there and teams have always been able to drive through the middle of us.

Petrov has started this season pretty well but I hope we will eventually replace him as captain and in the team.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
Is Heskeys pass rate still under 50% ?
4% and that's being kind.

I am not good at maths but I think that is easily under 50%!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal