collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Make the Step Up  (Read 8598 times)

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
Make the Step Up
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:06:38 AM »
I think that this is worth a new thread:

From today's Times: "Ashley Young. The England forward is making a mockery of those who questioned whether he could make the step up."

Make the step up from what?

Offline nepal_villan

Re: Make the Step Up
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:28:54 AM »
AY had too much freedom here, he is now in a more disciplined environment where his strengths can shine. By freedom, I don't mean tactically, but in terms of antics on the field. The constant flopping and always taking free kicks, being the only creative outlet, etc. I think it took away from his total game. At MUFC he does not need to think about those things and can just play his natural game.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:31 AM »

From today's Times: "Ashley Young. The England forward is making a mockery of those who questioned whether he could make the step up."

From an average team on the slide to a world class one, obviously.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
I don't see that as a sign of stepping up. He's playing with much better players, he hardly needs to step up. When he does it in the Champions League, I'll see that as a step up. I've no doubt he will though.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:04:02 AM »
I cant see what there is to be upset about, he's looking good in a team that will be competing to win all the competitions they enter. I wasn't sure he'd fit in but fair play to him.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 08:06:48 AM »
Where the hell were them 2 goals last year?

Only kidding.  Fair play to Young, hes playing in one of the 2 best teams in the league and has been a shining light so far.

Offline Klaus Katt

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
Enjoyed that. Fed up with comments from star players making star moves describing it as the "challenge" of their lives.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »

From the people on here who set themselves up as experts yet were unable to recognise how good a player Ashley Young is.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
There was no doubt that he was going to step up so to speak. He is playing with players of comparable ability now. And looks brilliant.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 09:50:47 AM »
Nice to see he got booked for moaning at the linesman about the Arsenal penalty, at least one aspect of his game remains the same

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
I'm gutted he's not ours any more but he gave us 5 years and served us well, so I'm happy for the man, he's going to be on his toes for a long time with Giggs, Valencia, Nani and Park all vying for a place ahead of him.

Offline brice jovial

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
When i saw the title of thread i was hoping it would be a start of discussion on CURRENT villa younger players making step up.
I mean to discuss the potential of OUR players would be a nice idea.
So i was someone disappointed to see a thread regarding a now non villa player. With due respect its not worth a thread on a VILLA forum but that just my opinion
Yes regards ashley young making step up no problems there we can also talk about excellence of cleverly wellbeck jones da silva twins smallng and macheda.

However it may be interests of a villa forum to talk about potential of herd ,lichaj , fonz, delph, bannan, clarke, gardener, and what happening with weinmann. Hogg has now left and good luck to him. Be interesting to see other fans and supporters views on the villas young players stepping up   

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:16:26 AM »
Nice to see he got booked for moaning at the linesman about the Arsenal penalty, at least one aspect of his game remains the same
Even that has been re-inforced  by being around people who do it  much better and more incessantly than everyone else.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »
Even that has been re-inforced  by being around people who do it  much better and more incessantly than everyone else.

Lol... it is the one area of his game I expected to improve, they are coached to it at United aren't they?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 10:21:52 AM »
I don't see that as a sign of stepping up. He's playing with much better players, he hardly needs to step up. When he does it in the Champions League, I'll see that as a step up. I've no doubt he will though.

That's it. Last season  he was running us and not concentrating on what he is good at. Number of times when we were desperate to get an equaliser  he was taking free kicks from our own half. No one told him what to do or how to play with the team. Fergie has sorted that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal