collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alex Mcleish - good or average start?  (Read 26360 times)

Offline frank black

Re: Alex Mcleish - good or average start?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:18:35 AM »
I thought taking zog off (just after he skinned that hulk of a wolves sub) and putting bannan on the the right wing was a shocking sub.taking the momentum out of the game. It took Mcleish a further 10 mins to make another sub to finally put bannan in central midfield. Jury's very much still out with me.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
He has done exactly as expected. Sorted the defence, but lacking in attacking ideas and the football is uninspiring. I've heard this somewhere before.

Of course, he should be afforded time but has he got the ability to make the changes we clamour for? I don't think he has and thats why I didn't agree with his appointment.

We'll still be having this argument in May.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 09:21:52 AM »
I Rather lose a few games and win some, than draw shit loads and win the odd one.

If he continues with this policy of just playing every experienced player instead of picking the correct players in there correct positions then we are in for a long season.

People need to remember he has always played boring uninspiring football.

Blues, rangers and Scotland he played with 10 men behind the ball when faced with any decent opposition.

He seems to think because he has 3 strikers on the pitch we will accept it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:25:23 AM by Shrek »

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »
Think its way to early to give a proper assessment, but based on results alone I personally would have been pleased with 7 points given who our first three opponents were as I would have expected us to be beat Wolves at home but last season we took no points from the same fixture, so would that infact be seen as an improvement??  (please don't answer that).  But I'm not overly disappointed with 5.

But the man needs more than the first 3 games to be judged on his ability as to whether he can manage Aston Villa or not and as to whether he's made a good start or not, think we'd be better placed come end September/October by which time he will properly know his squads strengths etc..., and we'll have a better understanding of the man himself, his tactics and ability to change things in games when the need arises.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
Average

Good point at fulham, I'm happy we've tightened up the defence. Worried about attack I think we've created one chance for Bent. I thought Ireland and Bannan were excellent in the week and I think one of them need to play in heskey's role

I'd agree with that, i'd definatley start thinking about playing Ireland or Bannan at home. Away from home, Heskey is fine and he'll do a job, but at home, he's not really needed, although having said that, he's not played that bad so far.

As for McCleish, a reasonable start i think. We look more organised at the back and as a team. Just a bit of tinkering to help us get the best out of Bent will be a big help though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:09:10 AM by N'Clampy »

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »
An 'OK' start for me.

He's getting to know the players and how the team can gel together.

3 points yesterday and this thread wouldn't exist.

Randy investing the Young and Downing money and this thread would not exist.

Any team in the Prem. relying on Heskey to deliver is going nowhere.

Getting the best out of Gabby a joy to watch, but I fear we're in for a very average ( at best) season with some drubbings away and some more of yesterdays type of game where we can't get the right balls into Benty  and Petrov 'shoots' like he does.

I don't buy into 'Small Heath were boring and that's AM's style - he is given what he's given and I'm sure he'll do the best most Managers can with it.

Offline Simba

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
Jury still out for me. 

After a shocking first half we should have won yesterday but they double tapped Gabby, sat on the front and back of Heskey and thus we had nothing. No imagination. They read us like an open book before the game began. Herd was an unexpected revelation and HE actually created and was unlucky.

They were the right substitutions but should have happened at the same time to give wee Barry his rightful role and of course, they were much too late.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »
I Rather lose a few games and win some, than draw shit loads and win the odd one.

Wrong in so many ways............how are you supposed to achieve cohesion without a solid objective.

Once you have a mindset in the team that 'we will not lose', then you can start working on the next stage of 'we can win every game'.

We have not played enough games for the team to have the first mindset, don't run before you can walk.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
Average. In saying that though, there are signs of improvement in some areas (defense) but we have gone backwards in other areas (up front). Also, if you are to compare the results for the same games as last year, we are marginally ahead, which isn't bad considering how far ahead in terms of match preparation Fulham were this year.
You'd also need to be rather myopic to solely blame McLeish for our problems up front when we've lost two of our most influential players this summer. Then again, considering your username I don't think we'll can expect you to be fair in any discussion on the manager, can we?

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »
while we are unbeaten against some pretty uninspiring opponents, its been appalling on the football front and i dont see that changing anytime soon...

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
Average. Wolves have had the same fixtures but 2 away and 1 home and got 7 points, which gives the true difficulty of things into perspective.

There is no comparison between the Fulham side at home and their form away from the Cottage.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »

Wrong in so many ways............how are you supposed to achieve cohesion without a solid objective.

Once you have a mindset in the team that 'we will not lose', then you can start working on the next stage of 'we can win every game'.

We have not played enough games for the team to have the first mindset, don't run before you can walk.

You make a good point, but if you think it's Ok to 'walk' against wolves at home then try and 'Run' against Chelsea at home then your in for a long season.

Yesturday we came out after the break and dominated, then Wolves made changes which stopped us abit, we should then as the home team made an attacking change and try and win the game. Instead he swapped N'Zogbia for Bannan, when he should have took Hesley off instead.

Offline Ads

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
A decent enough start. Plenty to be pleased with and enough gripes too.

My main concern is whether he will be brave enough to put in wee Barry and the like from the start, particularly at home.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
My main concern is whether he will be brave enough to put in wee Barry and the like from the start, particularly at home.

I think he'll have to sooner or later. The Newcastle game would be a good start.

Offline Ads

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »

I think he'll have to sooner or later. The Newcastle game would be a good start.

I was thinking up at Goodison, but then they're a physical bunch too, so I wouldn't be surprised or mind a great deal if he goes with the same side as today.

I think Heskey at home though, is not what is required when the onus is on us to dictate the tempo of the game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal