collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Wolves post-match thread  (Read 67119 times)

Offline willywombat

Re: Aston Villa v Wolves post-match thread
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
We aren't half the force we have been.

Selling your best players every year and not replacing them = low gates and heading backwards.

We'll miss the two Youngs and Downing so much.

We'll miss Ashley Young as any team would but the other two are easily replaced, one already has been. The crowds will come back when we start winning regularly, they always do

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Looks like the decision to appoint AM has hit the attendance quite hard...any other explanation how we can be 8000 down on last season for the same game?

Poor performance all round apart from Herd.

We have sold two of our three best players and spent the summer saying we're not buying anyone else, and made a desperately uninspiring managerial appointment.

Throw in the current economic situation and it is no surprise. Very depressing.

Let this be a wake up call to Randy Lerner. Invest some dosh....

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
Looks like the decision to appoint AM has hit the attendance quite hard...any other explanation how we can be 8000 down on last season for the same game?

Poor performance all round apart from Herd.

Our two best players leaving hasn't helped.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 02:09:42 PM »
Dull, but we're getting the basics right first. Not much sign of last season's shambolic defending yet, which is about the only positive.

Worryingly low crowd.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 02:09:46 PM »
people paid good money for that.
 If they think people will put money aside for this when they can hardly afford petrol and basic Heating and lighting they might have a wake up call coming.

I agree. As I have just posted, I spent most of the game either contemplating cancelling Sky as I am just getting bored with such over-hyped mediocrity or admiring those people who had paid very hard earned cash to watch and travel to the game....

Offline Cuz

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 02:10:09 PM »
deadful, how could he not make changes Heskey, Petrov stopped after 70mins
A better team would have dicked us, worrying times

Offline Disco01

• AussieDave
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
Had twenty minutes at the start of the second half then went flat. Why Heskey stayed on i do not know.No point in having a forward of Bent's class and then not have the tools to supply him, its like having a big car but being unable to put the petrol in it.

Positive point Herd looked and Gabby is looking sharp.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Just looked like two limited, uninsiring, mid table teams playing out a fairly tame 0-0 draw.

We looked lively for the first 25 mins of the 2nd half but apart from that it was pretty ordinary.
That's exactly where we lacked the delivery of Downing and Young.

On the plus side, they never looked like scoring either and as Dunne and Collins mopped up everything while Herd and Delph looked impressive.

On the downside, Bent is going to get pretty pissed off pretty soon if that's the sort of service he's going to be getting, Heskey and Petrov are both pedestrians and that's a worrying attendance however you look at it.   

Offline Villanation

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
Dull, but we're getting the basics right first. Not much sign of last season's shambolic defending yet, which is about the only positive.

Worryingly low crowd.

The really worrying thing about your summing up is the fact you could have been describing B'ham City last season, good in defence, naff all anywhere else.

Is this a case of the truth always outs.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
We desperately need some craft, Bannan has to start games.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
Tactics were terrible, how he thinks Heskey is better than Bannan in that position is beyond me!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
Pretty unispiring stuff. Turgid atmosphere and turgid performance. Wolves happy to slow the game down. There'll be plenty more of these games to come.

Wasn't absolutely horrific stuff. We did do ok in patches. Gabby played well I thought.

Worried about the real lack of service to Bent. He must be frustrated.

We're crying out for the likes of Bannan or Ireland to come in, but it's a tricky one as you can very easily see us having Bent even more isolated if we do that. Heskey really gives us an easy out ball and his movement is very good at times.

N'Zogbia was just starting to look dangerous when he came off I thought. But not impacting hugely so far.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
Had twenty minutes at the start of the second half then went flat. Why Heskey stayed on i do not know.No point in having a forward of Bent's class and then not have the tools to supply him, its like having a big car but being unable to put the petrol in it.

Positive point Herd looked and Gabby is looking sharp.

Agree, Gabby is looking sharp but he looks tethered to me.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
I hope AM gets some backing next week in bringing in a player or two. We lack the spark that both Downing and Ash gave us, and until N'Zogbia gets up to full speed we're going to be very short in the creativity department. Defensively we'll be fine for the most part, but unless we can score goals, and create more chances for Bent, it will put a lot of pressure on our back four to keep clean sheets.

Today's attendance was very poor indeed, and sometimes fans make a difference to the mood of the home team. McLeish is going to build a solid team that won't lose much, but unless we score we won't win many either. Hopefully the board sees that everyone needs a bit of inspiring right now to get this going again.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
Negatives: we didn't score, we should of won, we didn't go for it in injury time. Emule.

Positives: Herd played very well. I thought Zogbia, Gabby and Delph did well. We dominated the second half and created more. Our defense wasn't threatened.

Overall we should of won, we were close to scoring a few times and Wolves will be more pleased with the point. We didn't play great, but we did look a lot better in the second half. Today was a case of nearly winning but just not actually doing so.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal