collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Wolves post-match thread  (Read 66921 times)

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Re: Aston Villa v Wolves post-match thread
« Reply #270 on: August 28, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »
NZogbia will be great once he gets going. Needs to be further up the field though for me, far too deep much of the time. Indeed, I would be tempted to get Albrighton right and move NZogbia behind Bent.

I think Gabby looks a real threat on the wing. Both are fine to come central and attack the middle when the ball is on the opposite flank, but we’re not stretching sides enough with our width.

I think McLeish will see that and get them pulling ten yards further out than they are. It would also make us a lot more solid defensively too, by keeping a nice bit of shape to cover the full back.

It wasnt the width that was the problem, its the fact that they sat deep and we didnt push on to them, when we did that for 25 minutes in the second half , we put them under pressure.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
Haven't read through the whole thread, but the reaction seems to be a bit overly negative.

We got a draw, with a clean sheet, in a derby game we lost last year and drew the previous year. We can't be too despondent about that.

We have only conceded 1 in 3 games, which suggests that McLeish has gone about sorting out the defence and is succeeding.

Ok, going forward, we were no great shakes, but I think/hope that will improve once N'Zogbia settles in and the Heskey experiment is disposed of. Although in fairness I thought he was quite good in the 1st half.

We should also bear in mind that Wolves are an improved outfit this year, not the relegation battlers of the last couple of years. Players like O'Hara, Hunt and Jarvis will cause most teams problems, yet they didnt cause us much on Saturday.

McLeish is beginning to make us back into a solid, hard to beat outfit like we were under MON. That is his first job. Hopefully, then he can kick on and get us playing better football. Then, maybe we can dream of finishing 7th....

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
Playing better football?

no chance

AM showed on Saturday 100% that he hasn't got a clue tactically

Nzog wide left - Again

bannan as a straight swap rather than getting the uselesss big lump off

We look tighter at the back but look at the quality of the forward lines that we have been up against

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
I was disappointed with the result we should have won I thought we needed Bannan on in place of Heskey because Bent didn't really have any chances created for him apart that header in the second half which just went over I'm also disappointed with the attendance although I can understand people not wanting to go because of money reasons.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
I can understand why AM has chosen the team he has for the opening games and do not have a problem with it.  We did not get stuck into them and play with a high enough tempo in the first half but this was rectified at half time and for the first 20 - 25 minutes of the second half we had then on the ropes, so much so the that they took both wingers off and brought on more defensive minded players.  Unfortunately we did not get a goal and the tempo dropped as players became tired.

That is when I feel AM made his mistakes.  His use of the bench was poor.  Yes, I would have taken N'zog off and bring Bannan on, but he is only of use if played centrally, not wide with instructions to track back.  Heskey should have moved further upfield and Bannan should have played central from coming on. 

Then it was obvious to everyone that Heskey's legs had gone and some fresh impetus was needed but this did not happen.  Instead he brought Marc on instead of Delph, which was fair enough, but he should also have replaced Heskey with fresh legs and gone for it in the last 10 minutes.  To not use his 3rd substitute to my mind was criminal.

With regard to Delph he really has to learn to stay on his feet and not dive into tackles.  Getting a yellow after just 5 minutes meant he was playing scared for the rest of the match.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2011, 01:07:44 PM »
Watching the highlights again this morning I think we did relatively well and were unlucky not to win.
If a couple of the keeper's clearances had fallen kindly and with little more accuracy we could have won comfortably.
For all their hustle and bustle Wolves made very little impression. 

Offline Merv

« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »
It's a reasonable point; they beat us at VP last season - since then they've got a better team with Johnson coming into the defence, and our team has weakened, so let's take the positives out of that and take the result.

Steady from us and AM so far. We've looked okay against modest opposition. Defence has conceded one goal in three league games, so we've tightened up there. I do feel that the players we have who could lift us out of the ordinary and push us on are either not being used regularly (Albrighton, Bannan, Ireland, Makoun) or not effectively (N'Zogbia - should be one of the front three, not the midfield three, which leaves him too deep). Maybe that will change, maybe it won't.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
Managed to catch the game in an Inverness pub, no sound so I didn't have any commentators to sway my opinions. Must say I didn't think we played badly at all, we had something like 17 shots on goal and that's not counting the (at least) three times Hennesey cut out cut-backs from the by-line. On another day something would have fallen to Bent or Gabby, Wolves had a lot of luck in their area.
 Another thing, why are so many people slagging McLeish off for being negative? He played three strikers didn't he? Okay so they aren't gelling as a strike force as yet and Zoggy looks off the pace and isn't creating much for them but I don't see this as a negative formation at all.
 We'll be okay this season, and I think that's all we can hope for given the players we have lost.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #278 on: August 29, 2011, 08:17:46 PM »
Started reading this thread last night and was surprised how negative it was.  Good performances from Chris Herd and Gabby.  Shame we couldn't make our second half dominance pay, and we did lose some momentum when N'Zogbia was taken off.  Having said that it was Bannan's cross that gave Bent his nearest effort to scoring.

One criticism I would have is that you've got to make sure you hit the target.  For all our shots I'm not sure whether we got a single one going where it needs to go to score.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
Gabby was comfortably our best player on saturday.

Can't believe the press seemed to think Heskey was MOTM, he screwed one shot wide in the first half then hardly did anything for the rest of the game.

Disappointed aswell McLeish reacted too late to McCarthy closing down the flanks. I'd have played three centrally and tried to outnumber them there.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
Heskey was MOTM.......................how?

Overall I had this one down for a defeat by a margin of a goal, so 1pt is good IMO, the overall performance is now starting to show a pattern in the way McLiesh sets the side up, we looked the sameish v Fulham, Wolves not a million miles different, I think overall there is more to be concerned about than the breath a sigh of relief about after this, are we the blouses in a different strip.

Carry on like this and the pattern IMO will be that we will be hard to beat, but little achieved, question is did we really expect any difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal