collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 3rd Loudest Fans  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
3rd Loudest Fans
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
According to the world renowned Talksport ! - we have the 3rd loudest fans in the Premeirship , only beaten by Man Ure and The Red Scouse  !

http://www.talksport.co.uk/magazine/big-picture/2011-08-25/loudest-fans-premier-league-revealed-where-does-your-club-rank?p=2

Offline The Man With A Stick

Re: 3rd Loudest Fans
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »
Smethwick fans are actually the loudest, the problem is that only dogs are able to hear them.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
These figures appear to have been based on home fans.  Away fans make more noise if measured decibels per fan.  Since when did Manchester United fans make an appreciable noise at Old Trafford.  They are usually drowned by the away end, especially when we are there!

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
Must be back to front.

edit: full list -

1) Liverpool
2) Man Utd
3) Aston Villa
4) Everton
5) Blackpool
6) Stoke
7) Newcastle
8) West Ham
9) Chelsea
10) Sunderland
11) Arsenal
12) Wigan
13) Man City
14) Spurs
15) Blackburn
16) Birmingham
17) Bolton
18) Wolves
19) West Brom
20) Fulham
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:38:03 PM by JJ-AV »

Offline KRS

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »
Last seasons sighs, moans and groans must have been pretty audible on the pitch then!

Offline austin

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
data must be from the 1970's surely.

our lot are mousy quiet most of the time. unless it is when we are booing ::)

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:43:11 PM »
One of the responses to the Talksport article gives a good explanation for just how hopeless the analysis is.

As an aside some of the pictures are priceless.  Check out Geordie Man at No 7, and the tee shirt on one of our erstwhile neighbours at a heady 16th.  Obsessed - nah not too much.

Offline KRS

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
Interesting comment recognising the acoustic issue at Villa Park that we've known ourselves for years:

I work in Nightclubs & it is definately much easier to fill a smaller venue with noise than a larger one.. you need loads less speakers & Amps in a small venue though it's actually staggering how much more power/speakers you need for a slightly larger venue.. Basically space kills volume which is why it's much easier to have a loud volume from a small football stand with a lower roof etc than a big one with a higher roof.. The exception being Old Trafford as it is acoustically better due to the oval shape & lack of gaps between the stands & roof so no surprise it scored high on the decibel reading. The hardest type of stadium to fill with noise would be somewhere like Villa Park due to its size, high roofs, non continuous roofing & gaps in the corners between stands so the decibel reading there is actually quite exceptional. The smaller stadiums should be louder really especially the oval all enclosed types.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
I am surprised by this, did it say what game it's from? Probably the booing after the Wolves games... the only time when all four stands made some noise!

Offline pedro25

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
The wraparound grounds lack atmosphere as the previously noisy fans who sat in their old ground's kop/holte equivalent don't congregate in the same sections and get dispersed throughout the ground.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 02:08:23 PM »
There are no atmospheres these days

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:23 PM »
I don't pay any attention to such survey's as they are so ambiguous it really tells us nothing.  How do we know that it's not the away fans making the majority of the noise (which it most likely is) and therefore not a reflection on the loudness of the home fans at said stadium at all?  Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, the lay out of the ground plays a massive role in the noise levels as does the teams performance.  It's a lot easier to be noisy when you're watching your Man U team winning 18 out of 19 home games than it is watching us struggle to win even half as many.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »
These surveys are completely useless, it's very difficult to assess these things accurately.  I know this because I myself conducted a survey to find out which is the worst, most amateurish radio station in the world with the thickest, most objectionable presenters and the most brain-dead listeners, and the winner - by a country mile - was TalkSport.  This is clearly bollocks, as it would take an improvement of at least 1000% before TalkSport could even compete for that sort of accolade.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:47 AM »
These surveys are completely useless, it's very difficult to assess these things accurately.  I know this because I myself conducted a survey to find out which is the worst, most amateurish radio station in the world with the thickest, most objectionable presenters and the most brain-dead listeners, and the winner - by a country mile - was TalkSport.  This is clearly bollocks, as it would take an improvement of at least 1000% before TalkSport could even compete for that sort of accolade.

I can see you fitting right in here.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »
There are no atmospheres these days

The earth has several.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal