collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Risso
[Today at 11:34:22 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 11:32:54 AM]

NSWE Investment by eamonn
[Today at 11:25:29 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe Standing Petition.  (Read 32472 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Safe Standing Petition.
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 07:07:49 AM »
No point going backwards- it will not and should not happen.

Offline spk

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 07:13:30 AM »
Let us all dream for a moment,and imagine they made the lower holte and north stand standing terracing.I bet you could get (safely) double the capicity in those areas ,so without any ground expantion you would have a 50k stadium.The atmosphere would be back to days of old and there would be CHOICE for us ,the paying customers.It happened in Germany,and in Denmark.Could it happen here?I hope so.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 07:20:11 AM »
I don't think standing on terraces will ever come back we will just have to accept it.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 07:37:30 AM »

And I don't tell you you can't stand up so stop being so stupidly defensive.

And why do you think more women and children attend games now?  The general consensus found in reports on the matter is because the overall environment at football games is more family friendly than it was.  A big part of that is the absence of terracing where small people (ie many women and children) can feel intimidated by the crowd.  In a seated area every one has their own personal space which women and parents appreciate.

Those women and children currently have their view blocked by people standing in seated areas. (As a woman your argument is a bit lost on me but I'll take it on the basis that many of us are a bit shorter than men, although I'm not). If there were seperate standing areas they could enjoy the match even more.

At the moment people who would prefer to sit are being forced to stand by those who want to stand.

Seperate areas give both those who prefer to sit, and those who prefer to stand, a choice.

More women and children attend games now because society has changed. Women do lots of stuff that used to be the preserve of men. We have our own money and everything!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »
No matter how safe a standing area can be constructed, England would be the last country to ever do it. The events of Hillsborough are too deeply ingrained and changed things forever.   

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 08:09:37 AM »
I'd be happy for standing to come back in some capacity. 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 08:34:22 AM »
No matter how safe a standing area can be constructed, England would be the last country to ever do it. The events of Hillsborough are too deeply ingrained and changed things forever.   

Whilst true, I think the biggest resistance would be from the Police, and they're the ones who have final say on any event taking place or not.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »

Whilst true, I think the biggest resistance would be from the Police, and they're the ones who have final say on any event taking place or not.

Perhaps when the official Hillsboro records are finally released this whole subject will be considered somewhat differently.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »

Perhaps when the official Hillsboro records are finally released this whole subject will be considered somewhat differently.

I'd like to think so, but doubt it.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »

Why not?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

Why not?
Because the primary consideration should be the safety of all supporters, not the personal preferences of some. 

Currently, the authorities believe (and have strong evidence to back it up) that the safest solution for British football is all-seater stadia.  Unless evidence emerges that suggests all-seater stadia is no longer the safest solution, and that a standing area would increase the overall safety, there is no way they will change their minds.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
No one is advocating the return of the terraces in all parts of a ground. Just that as in other parts of Europe one section could be made available for standing and that numbers would be strictly controlled by the sale of tickets as is the custom with all seater stadia. So for instance if the Lower Holte was made a standing area and it was licensed to hold 10,000 then when those ten thousand tickets are sold out you can't gain admission. It's that easy. Could one of you who say it is unsafe to stand please explain where the danger lies?

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
No one is advocating the return of the terraces in all parts of a ground. Just that as in other parts of Europe one section could be made available for standing and that numbers would be strictly controlled by the sale of tickets as is the custom with all seater stadia. So for instance if the Lower Holte was made a standing area and it was licensed to hold 10,000 then when those ten thousand tickets are sold out you can't gain admission. It's that easy. Could one of you who say it is unsafe to stand please explain where the danger lies?
The onus is actually on those who advocate a standing area to demonstrate that, in the context of British football, there would be no negative impact on the overall safety at any given ground.  Before a change is even considered the authorities would have to be convinced that having a standing area would be as safe, if not safer, than keeping that area seated.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
The onus is actually on those who advocate a standing area to demonstrate that, in the context of British football, there would be no negative impact on the overall safety at any given ground.  Before a change is even considered the authorities would have to be convinced that having a standing area would be as safe, if not safer, than keeping that area seated.
Sorry but I don't understand this "context of British football".
If  you mean that British football fans are more badly behaved than our European counterparts then you are sadly mistaken.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »
Sorry but I don't understand this "context of British football".
If  you mean that British football fans are more badly behaved than our European counterparts then you are sadly mistaken.
I think the powers that be will be looking for something more scientific than 'It works in Germany so it will work here.'

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal