collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers Post-Match Thread/Ratings  (Read 38018 times)

Offline Goldie.7

Re: Aston Villa v Blackburn Rovers Post-Match Thread/Ratings
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Great game and good to see quality link up play from the team even if some of the chances we created went wayward. Hope we can maintain the run!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
Gabby was back to his best first half, back to how he was when he got that hat trick v Man City.

Delph was class, plenty of energy, effort & got stuck in, he just needs to cut down the rash tackles.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
The season is officially up and underway.

4 points from 2 games should ease the pressure somewhat on Big Eck.

Blackburn are dire.

Offline asgpaul

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 05:20:06 PM »
Stating the obvious but you can only beat who's put in front of you, and we did that well.  Was impressed with Delph today, possibly his best game yet.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 05:21:28 PM »
We put away a poor side, as we should have done.  Goals shared around will do the confidence some good.  Need to tighten up at the back because better sides than Blackburn will give us problems.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
Pleased with that. 
Did young go off injured?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
Pleased with that. 
Did young go off injured?
He ran off quite happily, so I can only assume it was a precautionary thing.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
Great result
Bannan has to play next match
Given's groin is fucked-hope he gets better soon

Offline Summers

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
Probably just nursing a pull, so if Collins can take some goalkicks to stop Given potentially making it worse, it's worth it.

Offline Sarunyu

• http://astonvillaforever.multiply.com/
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 05:29:16 PM »
Blackburn is not in the shape for today. Losing Samba is big impact to them in term of defender.

Good to see Gabby score the 1st goal like that. IMO all work quite OK again the poor side.

Anyway the midfield and forward is still have more to do in term of connection. If we face the strong side we need to be more control in the ball.

Cheer,

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
Very satisfactory win and performance. I suppose all it really tells is that we are better than a rather poor Blackburn side, but you can only beat what's put in front of you and we did that comfortably.  I was disappointed with the selection but I suppose the best retort to that is that. on the day at least,  it worked.  And it looks like Eck at least wants to try and play some  passing football, which is encouraging. 

Offline Sarunyu

• http://astonvillaforever.multiply.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
By the way we are TOP of the Table. :-)

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »
Excellent stuff..congrats all round. Let's do the same to, allegedly, better opposition next time

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
A complete contrast compared to the Fulham game. Players looked fit, quick, full of ideas, movement and what really stood out for me...CONFIDENCE! Which must go down to Mcleish.

Given - (7) - Can' t remember him really being tested. Safest hands in the Premiership in my opinion and nothing he could do with the goal.

Young - (7) Solid and reliable, and looking to support N'Zog at all times. Came off for Clarke after knock.

Collins - (8 ) Didn't look Welsh today and oozed confidence. Very similar in regards to Laursen when it comes to headers and always threw his body at the ball.

Dunne - (8 ) I've knocked him in the past but he was very steady today and made some very good tackles. Wish he would stop the long ball all the time though, he can't pass.

Warnock - (7) Gave the ball away twice within the first 4 mins but got more and more into the game and looked solid. Just wish he wouldn't dive into tackles so much.

N'Zog - (8 ) Really good home debut, neat on the ball, nice touches and always wanted to drive forward. I really think once he's settled in we wont miss Downing or Young if this guy keeps it up.

Petrov - (8 ) I really doubted him this season but what a change. His legs looked bionic and he had pace and drive to his play. Didn't do that whole "sit in front of the back four" thing and really wanted to be positive in passing the ball forward quickly to Bent.

Delph- (9 ) Man of the Match in my opinion. A little bit of headless chicken in the first 5 mins but grew and grew. Always wanted to receive the ball from defense and looking to jink past players, passing and moving forward. Made some really good tackles and looks the player we first bought. Hope he stays fit all season as we have a potential gem.

Agbonlahor - ( 9) Would of been my Man of the Match if he continued that in the second half but unfortunately took 2 knocks and came off at half time. Actually looked a real winger today, use of both feet, running with the ball at every opportunity and WOW what a goal. If Rooney scored that then Hansen and co. would be sucking his ginger balls right now. Brilliant stuff Gab.

Heskey - (8 ) I worried with him in the team we we're just going to pump long balls to him all day but he really puts in a shift and did a lot of donkey work which we know he does well. Yea, slight slip with the goal but it was a nice finish in the bottom corner even though Robinson looked like he had a touch of the De Gea's by being a little slow to dive. Fab attitude from Emile though.

Bent - ( 8 ) He looked completely starved of anything against Fulham last week but he kept moving on the shoulder of the last man and maybe could of had 2 or 3. We have one of the most prolific goal scorers in the league and he's literally scoring a goal every 2 opportunities. Full of movement and very happy we have him.

Albrighton on for Agbonlahor. Looked nervous at first and struggled to get into the game but kept trying and done an ok job wide right.

Clarke on for Young. Went to left back with Warnock shifting to right back and looked every inch a full back. Got forward supported N'Zog well.

Bannan on for Heskey. Best of the subs by far. Always after the ball, first touch and gone, moves into space and keeps possession like a Xavi or Iniesta. He really looks a find and surely must play a lot more this season.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:43:15 PM by Tuscans »

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
Agreed Tuscans.  I though Bannan added an extra dimension to villa's play.  Whilst we lost a bit of grunt and athleticism when Heskey went off I though Bannan played that hole role much better.  Much more comfortable dropping deep and receiving the ball making it a bit more of a 433.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal