collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Villa Park Curse?  (Read 9767 times)

Offline 5ft811st2 Durham

• Durham
Re: The Villa Park Curse?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
Impressive stats - I assume our away form was shocking in 75/76!

I think then playing at home was more of an advantage.  I imagine Anfield has had similar decline in points for Liverpool...i.e it isn't a scary place to go as an opposing player anymore.

Nowadays, for Villa, I suppose we respect the better teams too much and therefore don't win (or cock it up) and the crapper teams who come and defend we struggle to break down and therefore don't win (or cock it up).

It  was, we didn't win away in 75/76.

I think your reasons for our poor results at home are right.  For example I went to 17 home games under MON's leadership before I saw a win (Bolton 08/09)   and most of these were draws against sides who put 10 men behind the ball with the odd defeat thrown in, usually to the bigger clubs.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 05:28:14 PM »
We draw so many games! I'm sure that it reflects the fact that we have not had for ages someone who can put the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis - i.e. 20 league goals in a season. And finally when we do, as in now, the rest of the team is falling apart.

It is so frustrating supporting the Villa!!!!!!

Offline Daholteend

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
From the heading of this thread I thought that someone had posted the truth behind the old legend that a gypsy had cursed the fortunes at Villa Park. I had heard that from my father and grandfather. It was said more in disdain rather than fact. Over the years though I have frequently thought that there might be a possibility of it actually being true because often it is the only way you can explain some of the inexplicable results.

Perhaps Villa Park has been cursed somewhat like the Boston Red Sox fans used to believe in the Curse of the Bambino. Up until 2004, the Red Sox like Aston Villa had it's most impressive era before 1920/1 .

I often expect John Laurie as Private James Frazer to appear at the end of some games crying "We're Doomed ! We're all Doomed!"
Is that just the "Brummie" in me that thinks that way ?

With his red hair, Eck will not be a substitute for Private Frazer and anyway he is far too optimistic. Come to think of it Big Eck seems a much happier chappie than the wee MON.  Perhaps the curse is over ? ........   nahhhhhhhhhhh      why would we want to change the habits of a lifetime ?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 11:20:16 PM »

I think then playing at home was more of an advantage.  I imagine Anfield has had similar decline in points for Liverpool...i.e it isn't a scary place to go as an opposing player anymore.

Nowadays, for Villa, I suppose we respect the better teams too much and therefore don't win (or cock it up) and the crapper teams who come and defend we struggle to break down and therefore don't win (or cock it up).

I think your reasons for our poor results at home are right.  For example I went to 17 home games under MON's leadership before I saw a win (Bolton 08/09)   and most of these were draws against sides who put 10 men behind the ball with the odd defeat thrown in, usually to the bigger clubs.

The thing is, it's not just about MON, it's about games at Villa Park. I'm not sure if there's anything behind it but maybe the players feel more stressed playing there. Maybe we're too quick to jump on their backs. Do we expect them to deliver before we give our vocal support? I'd love to hear from ex-players and their experiences of playing for the Villa at home.

Just to add, how come over the years when we play the top teams, the players seem to raise their game. Coincidence or is it that as fans we're behind the team from the first minute?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
Every year as soon as I read quotes from one of our players or the manager saying "We want to turn Villa Park into a fortress" I know we're in for another run of poor home form. I guarantee we'll see the same thing appear again over the next few days.

The key to good home form is having the creativity and intelligence to unlock well organised defences, but for many years we have tended to be pedestrian and predictable.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 12:19:18 AM »
Every year as soon as I read quotes from one of our players or the manager saying "We want to turn Villa Park into a fortress" I know we're in for another run of poor home form. I guarantee we'll see the same thing appear again over the next few days.

McLeish calls for Fortress Villa Park

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2422320,00.html

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 09:11:27 AM »

The thing is, it's not just about MON, it's about games at Villa Park. I'm not sure if there's anything behind it but maybe the players feel more stressed playing there. Maybe we're too quick to jump on their backs. Do we expect them to deliver before we give our vocal support? I'd love to hear from ex-players and their experiences of playing for the Villa at home.

Just to add, how come over the years when we play the top teams, the players seem to raise their game. Coincidence or is it that as fans we're behind the team from the first minute?

A long time ago I posted on the forum about the access tunnel for the players, it's just too visitor friendly.
When the Trinity was redeveloped, the access tunnel should have been relocated to the Holte, so visiting teams have to endure a mass of claret & blue and then have a long walk too and from the friendly section where their supporters are.
For as long as I remember, the visiting team skips out and goes straight to their supporters, the Holte doesn't come into play until the teams change ends.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Some of you have touched on one of the things that could have a bearing on our home form over recent years.
The lack of atmosphere at Villa Park. Yes I know that the players have to play well to win games, but the crowd has to play it's part.
Mr. Saunders in the match programme always asked for and got a wall of sound. I know times have changed, but back then the Holte would be rocking an hour before kick off. And when we paused for breath those posh people in the Trinity would start up and get us going again. And it went on for the full 90 mins.
The thing that always impresses me when I watch us away on TV or listen on the radio is the continuous singing and chanting of our fans and quite often drowning out the home fans for long periods.
At Villa Park we need to get back to those "wall of noise" times of the 70's and 80's. I'm certain it must give the players a lift to hear it and more importantly put the opposition off.
Hopefully the guys from Brigada 1874 will start to bring back some of that atmosphere. As long as the stewards leave them alone.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
I think, particularly when doing well under MON, that all teams in the league (bar Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal), came to Villa Park not wanting to lose, and so tended to play, as good as, 9 defenders who had no ambition of going out to win the game. This was where we tended to get stuck and run out of ideas of how to beat these sorts of teams. Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal had/have the players to overcome teams like this.

When we play away against the teams who come to defend against us, they have to come out and attack more, which made it easier for us to get a good result.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:56:47 AM by Can Bent Be Bettered!?!? »

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »
I think, particularly when doing well under MON, that all teams in the league (bar Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal), came to Villa Park not wanting to lose, and so tended to play, as good as, 9 defenders who had no ambition of going out to win the game. This was where we tended to get stuck and run out of ideas of how to beat these sorts of teams. Man Utd, Chelsea & Arsenal had/have the players to overcome teams like this.

When we play away against the teams who come to defend against us, they have to come out and attack more, which made it easier for us to get a good result.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:46 AM »

I'd say that's exactly what it is. We joke about it on here, but in reality, much of the VP crowd are just one mislaid pass away from their first "for f**k's sake" of the game. We're a bunch of miserable buggers and get the home results that that attitude deserves.

Contrast that with the excellent away support under O'Neill (which was still much more pro-MON than the home support I'd say in percentage terms) and the results that followed. The players seemed much more up for that fight with the players on their side than the more difficult job of trying to break down defensive teams at home while being criticised for not getting the ball forward quick enough / getting the ball forward too quick.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:39 AM »
Gypsy curse most likely, time to get John Safran to sacrifice another chicken...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Safran

"Safran had gone to Mozambique to have a curse, previously placed on the Australian national football team by a now-deceased witch doctor, lifted. He and former Australian football team captain Johnny Warren were covered in chicken's blood in the process. Subsequently, on 16 November 2005, Australia qualified for the World Cup for the first time since 1974."

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »
2007-8 when we did have more wins at home coincided with a run of more than decent crowds, too. We sold out several times that year, including against the likes of Newcastle, and near sell outs with Derby and West Ham.

Maybe that was also a reflection of our new-found spending power, though.

We had 39,500 down for a mid-week game aginst Boro too.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
You bugger, Kelly. I was going to do an article about our crap home form for the next issue!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
You bugger, Kelly. I was going to do an article about our crap home form for the next issue!

Sorry fella but you should still do it. I get the feeling the fans are so used to us being crap at Villa Park, most don't know or expect anything different. For me, your home games are where you play your more expansive football, where you dominate teams, get the crowd on the feet and leave them happy and wanting to come back in a fortnight for more. Smash and grab away wins are great but our home form is where you measure the team, manager and club. Like the weather over Villa Park, there's been a few sunny days but mainly it's dull and non descript with the occasional break in the clouds. It's about time we had a prolonged Villa summer.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 08:58:31 PM by Mark Kelly »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal