collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Big Ecks welcome to VP barometer  (Read 31550 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: The Big Ecks welcome to VP barometer
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »
Despite everything said it is clear that where he came from does have a bearing on attitudes for some people. If his previous job had not been at Small Heath there would not be a thread like this after one game.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
He worked for them, he wasn't a die hard fan!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 09:50:47 AM »
Despite everything said it is clear that where he came from does have a bearing on attitudes for some people. If his previous job had not been at Small Heath there would not be a thread like this after one game.

I think it's entirely reasonable to ask what sort of reception a manager who a lot of people see as not being very good is going to get for his first game.  It'd be no different if we'd appointed say, Avram Grant.

Offline Merv

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 09:52:47 AM »
He gets my support, I hope he's a tremendous success.

I've liked both his signings so far but I didn't like his team selection for the Fulham game, chiefly the way he deployed the trio behind Bent. There's a ripple of anxiety for me here, in that I'd hoped these strange tinkerings were a quirk of Houllier's reign.

I don't see any reason why AM wouldn't get a warm reception on Saturday.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 10:15:27 AM »
Him being Blues manager had and has absolutely no bearing on my opinion of him, I think that is largely meedya sensationalism. As Paulie indicated, anyone with half a brain would not let that affect their opinion.  My doubts about him conçern his managerial record and abilities, which I don't consider good enough for the Manager of Aston Villa. But as I said it's too early to judge properly and he deserves a chance.  I genuinely hope he proves my doubts wrong because it will be great for Villa if he does.  As for horses for courses, well that remains to be seen, and the selection against Blackburn will give us more of a clue.  But I somehow expect at least Gabby,if not Heskey,  to be selected again.

Offline russon

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »
Give him a chance! He's barely had chance to take his first dump at Bodymoor Heath. 10 games in then we can measure his progress.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »
By the same token it's too early to condemn him it's surely too early to praise him either. So I have chosen "undecided". I was pleased to see the reception he got at half time at Fulham (missed kick off but presume it was similar)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »
I've gone for 'undecided' though I'll give him a warm reception on Saturday, and give him my full support 'on probation' as there's no point doing otherwise.

I really don't give a shit that he managed Bloose, but I am concerned that he has a mixed record with them in the PL. He brought them up he took them down (twice) as the song goes, but there again he won a cup with a pretty poor team and shit fans.

Realistically we're now miles away from the top 4 and I accept we don't have an oil well to get us there, and I'm not expecting any miracles. But I'm really concerned about the style of football he'll have us playing and that's why I'm undecided.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
I can live with Gabby being used in that wide role, but playing Heskey behind Bent when we have Ireland and Bannan is just plain daft to me.  Actually, it's not daft as I can see the logic of his physical presence for defending set pieces and experience for trying to curtail Murphy a bit, but I just don't agree with it.

As it goes I think he'll get a very good reception and then he'll be judged on the performance, so picking that team at home to Blackburn would be handing the haters a knife and truning his back on them. 

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »
I don't care that he was the Small Heath Manager, I'm more concerned about what he does at Villa.

Different budgets, different players, different infrastructure, different expectations.

Better than Houllier for sure from what I've seen at other clubs, at least he can motivate players !

Back him all day long.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
Too early to judge him properly but he certainly hasn't won me over yet.   So far I like the signings he's made but I haven't liked his playing down of expectations which have a hint of "getting your excuses in early" about them.  Also didn't like his selection on saturday, too much trying to shoehorn experienced players into roles and positions that they aren't suited for (Gabby and Heskey) and not enough creativity.

Same as me

The winning over he has to do with me is just to play half decent football

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
Team selection this Saturday should tell us a lot and will probably have a bearing on most supporters attitude to him. While he is Villa manager he gets my support!

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Same as N'isso, I thought the team selection was poor on Saturday. I'm not against him because he managed the blues, I was against him because the football was shite when he was at Blues.

I haven't seen anything so far to suggest were not going to see Aston Villa 0 a lot this season, I would expect a much more attacking side on Saturday if not I think my patience is going to run out very quickly. I don't like the fornations I've seen so far. Time will tell, at the moment im undecided

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
I'm in the wait and see catagory. Good point against Fulham but speaking as someone who doesn't care where he came from, but has doubts about his abilities he hasn't won anyone over yet. We'll see the strength of the Anyone but Mcliesh mob at Villa Park when we have a bad result at home. Personally i think he'll get a good reception to start with at least

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »
Give him a chance! He's barely had chance to take his first dump at Bodymoor Heath. 10 games in then we can measure his progress.

Well Alex, that last dump was a bit loose, and has left skid marks on the side of the pan.  It's also going to need breaking up with the toilet brush before it flushes.  Must do better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal