collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Behind Enemy Lines  (Read 11951 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Behind Enemy Lines
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »
Went to a Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates ( big Soweto derby) game in Johannesburg two weeks after the Soweto riots in '76. Silly. My Villa mate and I were the only Whities there and we were welcomed with humour, respect, handshakes and protection. Even got a cheer when we went to our - sit anywhere- seats. Except when we left the stadium and a bunch of Afrikaaner police arrested us and put us in nick for " inciting a riot" !

:o Wheally?

Offline eamonn

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »
I sat in with the Chelsea fans when we won there in 98 when Joachim scored the winner. I was straight across from the away supporters. I never openen my mouth, not even when my then girlfriend hit me in the ribs when JJ scored.I dont think I actually spoke untill  i got off the train that I got on at Fulham Broadway. Sweet.

I went to Stamford Bridge for the last game of 2002/03 under GTII when we won 3-1. My brother was with me, a Chelsea fan so I was sat in with them lot. Really had to restrain myself when Vassell and Crouch tore them a new arsehole. Blew my cover when Alan Wright almost cracked the bar with a thunderbolt and Dion nodded in the rebound to make it 3-1. ''YESSSSS!'' A few pissed-off and vaguely threatening looks but as it was an end of season game with nothing riding on it I was left alone.

Offline Simba

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 06:38:22 AM »
Went to a Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates ( big Soweto derby) game in Johannesburg two weeks after the Soweto riots in '76. Silly. My Villa mate and I were the only Whities there and we were welcomed with humour, respect, handshakes and protection. Even got a cheer when we went to our - sit anywhere- seats. Except when we left the stadium and a bunch of Afrikaaner police arrested us and put us in nick for " inciting a riot" !

Sorry Eamon, don't understand.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
I sat in with the Chelsea fans when we won there in 98 when Joachim scored the winner. I was straight across from the away supporters. I never openen my mouth, not even when my then girlfriend hit me in the ribs when JJ scored.I dont think I actually spoke untill  i got off the train that I got on at Fulham Broadway. Sweet.

I went to Stamford Bridge for the last game of 2002/03 under GTII when we won 3-1. My brother was with me, a Chelsea fan so I was sat in with them lot. Really had to restrain myself when Vassell and Crouch tore them a new arsehole. Blew my cover when Alan Wright almost cracked the bar with a thunderbolt and Dion nodded in the rebound to make it 3-1. ''YESSSSS!'' A few pissed-off and vaguely threatening looks but as it was an end of season game with nothing riding on it I was left alone.

I may have been near you, Eamonn. I was in the Upper Matthew Harding Stand for that game as a Chelsea season ticket holding mate had a spare. I clapped the third goal but kept schtum for the first two - people didn't seem too bothered as Chelsea had lost the FA cup final to Arsenal the previous week and I think they were just glad the season was over.

I have been in 3 sides of the ground at Stamford Bridge and the thing that always strikes me is that it feels so much smaller than Villa Park but has the same capacity. Even sat at the back of the Matthew Harding Stand felt closer to the pitch than the back of the Holte Lower.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2011, 04:31:22 PM »

Sorry Eamon, don't understand.

Sorry, I had a Jonathan Ross moment. I meant to say ''Really?!''

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal