collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Behind Enemy Lines  (Read 11879 times)

Offline Jim Shoes

Re: Behind Enemy Lines
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:32 AM »
My wife's side of the family are noses and although my father-in-law is a die hard nose he has on sometimes joined me at VP and I get along with him fine. One year back in the 80's he had a spare ticket v Blackburn and asked me to join him which reluctantly I did.

Game was utter shite but while watching it I suddenly realised that although I never went looking for trouble I had had several decent run in's with some of their "famed" Zulu's and became a bit concerned that I might be spotted even though I was no Danny Brown or Skinhead Neil etc it just felt that they all knew I wasn't on of their own because I just couldn't join in with their boring song's.

It didn't happen thankfully as I doubt I would have won on that occaison but on the way out I did notice a loud godshite nose that I had the misfortune to work with, luckily for me he was ahead and didn't look back because he would have pointed me out in an instant. I never said anything to him at work because I didn't want him to even know that I had stepped foot in the Sty let alone that I avoided him as I didn't want a slap!

I made a mental note to never attend the Sty again if Villa were not playing, different times but if your mate "gobs off" then don't be surprised if one or two of them take it serious, most would laugh and take the piss but it only takes a few morons and you could both get hurt, good luck.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 06:29:24 AM »
I've been to watch a few Walsall games in the past and Wolves once when they were in Div 3.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:43 AM »
I went with my mate to a Blues game in 1993 when the Villa won 1-0 at Highbury with a Tony Daley header, anyway the Blues played Swindon and managed to throw away a 4-1 lead with 20 minutes to go to lose 4-6! What a great day that was for me ;)

That's when Hoddle was player manager, he put himself on when they were 4-1 down and then dictated the game into a 6-4 win .I went to the Wolves that a season for the Swindon game purely to watch Hoddle.An absolute master.Also been up the Albion a few times and sampled the corporate hospitality.I always believed that anyone who watched from a box was missing the whole point of going to the game.However, sitting there enjoying a pint in my shirt sleeves with people dressed in thick coats and scarves 6 feet away changed my perspective.

Offline spk

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 07:02:36 AM »
Been to a few games in Italy,including cup final Milan vs Parma in a villa shirt,noboby cared apart from a friendly copper who spent most the match talking about english football with me.Also went to see Torquay vs Exeter a few years back,nearly died with laughter when the gulls fans were chanting to exeter fans "you dirty northern bastards"

Offline Simba

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »
Went to a Kaiser Chiefs v Orlando Pirates ( big Soweto derby) game in Johannesburg two weeks after the Soweto riots in '76. Silly. My Villa mate and I were the only Whities there and we were welcomed with humour, respect, handshakes and protection. Even got a cheer when we went to our - sit anywhere- seats. Except when we left the stadium and a bunch of Afrikaaner police arrested us and put us in nick for " inciting a riot" !

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 08:39:09 AM »
I was in the away end at the sty the day that non-league Kiddiminster Harriers beat Blues... just fabulous.

I also stood in the Smevick end at the Ollbeyun a few years back one Boxing day when our game was called off.  I was an away supporter that day following Bristol City. A few odd looks were given our way when they picked up on our local accents but as we were shouting all sorts of abuse at Don Goodman I think it was we had no bother.

I urge anyone if given the opportunity to do a Rangers v Celtic game. Bonkers. 

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
I've always enjoyed the freedom of watching games that don't involve Villa - the freedom from not having your night spoilt by the result. You can even enjoy shit games when it's not your team. If it wasn't for the cost nowadays I'd still do it but it's only when I get a freebie that I go to non-Villa games now.

As a teenager and young player in the mid 70s I'd go down the Blues to watch games (usually Tuesday nights that didn't clash with Villa games) just to watch individual players. You could stand anywhere along the Kop on the side and get a good close up view. It would usually be opposition players I'd follow but they had one or two decent players themselves then too. Just watched the player and his movements, what he did off the ball etc - and not really be bothered about the score, although it did make the night better if they lost of course.

A few years back I watched Chelsea at Leicester and followed Gianfranco Zola from the minute he came out to warm up pre-match and right through the game, whether he was anywhere near the ball or not. It was pure education - I came away wishing I'd been able to watch a player like that when I was younger and learning to play myself. It's something you can't do with a TV game as the camera always follows the ball.

Okay you aren't going to see someone like that at Blues-Millwall... but Millwall aren't a bad side, they might have someone who catches your eye.
Like you as a someone that has played a bit, watching a game is different to those that havent, particularly when you dont really care who wins, what a lot of viewrs dont get is how the players are set up to do specific jobs. no many peope understand the simple concept of movement off the ball

I'd be amazed if many football fans didn't understand the concept of "movement off the ball". It's hardly rocket science.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
Went to Sweden V Denmark in Euro 2004 in Portugal, in my Villa shirt. Had some good banter as Sorensen, Laursen, Mellberg and Allback were all playing (ie 2 Villa players for each side).

However, a massive Swedish Skinhead saw my shirt and shouted "Shit on the Villa" before singing some Blose songs. Bizarre.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
I went with my mate to a Blues game in 1993 when the Villa won 1-0 at Highbury with a Tony Daley header, anyway the Blues played Swindon and managed to throw away a 4-1 lead with 20 minutes to go to lose 4-6! What a great day that was for me ;)

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »
In the late 80's I was in the Everton crowd for a Cup game against the Albion. My mate supported Liverpool at the time and as I worked at the Albion, I got us free tickets.

Ironically, he is now Corporate Albion, but nothing ever swayed me away from the Claret and Blue.

Also watched Liverpool play Albion in the early 80's at Anfield. You see a common denominator in my experience.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 01:07:39 PM »
Was in the Bolton end in about 95/96 when we won 2-0 (Tommy Johnson got both)  Was quite easy to blend in and 'politely applaud' when we scored.  It was the old Supermarket ground and I was on the side where there was still terracing.

Went to Shrewsbury v Kidderminster about 5 years ago in the away end.  Was 3-2 at half time (Kidderminster were 2-0 up!)  Awful facilities but I imagine The New Meadow or whatever it is called hasn't the same charm.

Went to a few Chester games when I lived there.  They were in financial trouble so thought I'd pop along.  Weirdly there were several random football shirts on display on the kop (including Watford).  Crap level of football though and crap chants involving words like 'bluies' and 'city' *shudder*.  Sure they had a drummer as well.

Not been to Wrexham yet....

Offline badluckeric(gates)

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
A mate of mine is a Wolves fan. When they got promoted for first time in yonks (05?) he bought a box for the season to entertain clients.
I got myself invited when it Wolves v Villa. Sat there with about 10 wolves fans.
We won 4-0 and I had to sit on my hands a bit. Topped off by the fact that the betting people came to us in the box rather than having to queue up. I dont bet but put a couple of quid on first goalscorer- Der Hammer! They werent too amused at the score and even less when they realised i was walking away in profit.
Great day.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »
In the late 80's I was in the Everton crowd for a Cup game against the Albion. My mate supported Liverpool at the time and as I worked at the Albion, I got us free tickets.

Ironically, he is now Corporate Albion, but nothing ever swayed me away from the Claret and Blue.

Also watched Liverpool play Albion in the early 80's at Anfield. You see a common denominator in my experience.

To be memorised and brought up at every available opportunity.

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 06:06:18 PM »
I used to live on the south coast and my nickname from my early was 'villa'. When we played Arsenal away I went with a bunch of Arsenal mates and drinking in the Highbury Barn pub with them and all the other Arsenal. My mate went to the packed bar whilst we all stood outside being a lovely day. My mate was struggling with the pints through the crowd and keeping shouting 'Villa' for me to help. Everyone jumped up and starting looking around. I tried to hide but he kept shouting eventually making his through to us. Then stopped in front of me and said 'fucking hell Villa I was shouting for ages'. Then the penny dropped and I was left in the middle of a circle of Arsenal fans. But it was cool and everyone just laughed.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
I sat in with the Chelsea fans when we won there in 98 when Joachim scored the winner. I was straight across from the away supporters. I never openen my mouth, not even when my then girlfriend hit me in the ribs when JJ scored.I dont think I actually spoke untill  i got off the train that I got on at Fulham Broadway. Sweet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal