collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Behind Enemy Lines  (Read 11958 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Behind Enemy Lines
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
I went to the Blues v Carlisle Autoglass trophy final at Wembley in my Villa top.  Still not sure how I made it out alive.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:16 PM »
Out of interest I'd love it if someone could give me some tips on avoiding most of the trouble. I'd be alright but I've never been to Blues and I don't trust my mate.

Take VCTM's advice - get a new mate. Plus try being assertive. Just because he's demanded you go, it doesn't mean you have to go with him.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 10:20:13 PM »
Went to Wolves Albion last year my my Ajax supporting mate. Had a great time.  Got to see Stripy Filth lose and Wolves catch up with Blose.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »
Dont use big words, eat your balti pie with your mouth open and spill bovril down the front of your vest. No-one will know you're not an authentic nose

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
It all makes for a very uncomfortable day. Apart from having to endure the morons who will be very inquisitive as to why you don't clap along with them, especially if they score, your mate will doubtless think it amusing to let them know you are Villa but 'it's alright, cos he's with me'.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:07 PM »
My friend Alan is a Chester City fan, we usually see a couple of away games a season. It has all the edgy threat of National Trust membership. They all know each other by name

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 11:30:47 PM »
I've always enjoyed the freedom of watching games that don't involve Villa - the freedom from not having your night spoilt by the result. You can even enjoy shit games when it's not your team. If it wasn't for the cost nowadays I'd still do it but it's only when I get a freebie that I go to non-Villa games now.

As a teenager and young player in the mid 70s I'd go down the Blues to watch games (usually Tuesday nights that didn't clash with Villa games) just to watch individual players. You could stand anywhere along the Kop on the side and get a good close up view. It would usually be opposition players I'd follow but they had one or two decent players themselves then too. Just watched the player and his movements, what he did off the ball etc - and not really be bothered about the score, although it did make the night better if they lost of course.

A few years back I watched Chelsea at Leicester and followed Gianfranco Zola from the minute he came out to warm up pre-match and right through the game, whether he was anywhere near the ball or not. It was pure education - I came away wishing I'd been able to watch a player like that when I was younger and learning to play myself. It's something you can't do with a TV game as the camera always follows the ball.

Okay you aren't going to see someone like that at Blues-Millwall... but Millwall aren't a bad side, they might have someone who catches your eye.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
. but Millwall aren't a bad side, they might have someone who catches your eye.

Yeah, with a stanley knife or a brick.  :(

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »
I've always enjoyed the freedom of watching games that don't involve Villa - the freedom from not having your night spoilt by the result. You can even enjoy shit games when it's not your team. If it wasn't for the cost nowadays I'd still do it but it's only when I get a freebie that I go to non-Villa games now.

As a teenager and young player in the mid 70s I'd go down the Blues to watch games (usually Tuesday nights that didn't clash with Villa games) just to watch individual players. You could stand anywhere along the Kop on the side and get a good close up view. It would usually be opposition players I'd follow but they had one or two decent players themselves then too. Just watched the player and his movements, what he did off the ball etc - and not really be bothered about the score, although it did make the night better if they lost of course.

A few years back I watched Chelsea at Leicester and followed Gianfranco Zola from the minute he came out to warm up pre-match and right through the game, whether he was anywhere near the ball or not. It was pure education - I came away wishing I'd been able to watch a player like that when I was younger and learning to play myself. It's something you can't do with a TV game as the camera always follows the ball.

Okay you aren't going to see someone like that at Blues-Millwall... but Millwall aren't a bad side, they might have someone who catches your eye.
Like you as a someone that has played a bit, watching a game is different to those that havent, particularly when you dont really care who wins, what a lot of viewrs dont get is how the players are set up to do specific jobs. no many peope understand the simple concept of movement off the ball

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 12:25:50 AM »
Out of interest I'd love it if someone could give me some tips on avoiding most of the trouble. I'd be alright but I've never been to Blues and I don't trust my mate.

Feign illness and stay at home.

Wear claret and blue, small heath will think you are Villa, Millwall will think you are West Ham. Safety guaranteed. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 12:29:52 AM »
The only non Villa, Rovers or England game i've been to was WBA vs Burnley in 92/93.
My best mate is a Baggie so that season we agreed to go a home game with each other, he came to the infamous Cov game. At their place we went in the Brummie Rd and I nearly blew my cover straight away with comments along the lines of "it's a bit empty isn't it" and "fuck me, how small is this compared to the Holte"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:46:01 AM by PeterWithesShin »

Offline Vancouver

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2011, 12:40:19 AM »
I went to a Millwall home game a few ago through work. It was a midweek game against Derby and although there were hardly any fans about, there were a lot of police. Didn't stop the home fans trying to get into the away end, the tons of gypsy kids running around and a mate getting smacked in the mouth for no reason. Lovely fans Millwall

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
i'd say your mate was  ungrateful knob! you do him a favour and he stabs you in the back by making you watch that sh*te!! get a new mate!

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 01:34:35 AM »
My mate dragged me to watch Blues try and get promoted against Preston a few seasons back. Fans around us were primed to invade the pitch, sure that they'd get promotion. Unfortunately (chuckle) Preston scored two screamers at my end (dunno what stand I was in). No pitch invasion that day!

It's odd though, it had to be paranoia, but it did feel as if people knew I was a Villa fan.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 03:36:12 AM »
I went with my mate to a Blues game in 1993 when the Villa won 1-0 at Highbury with a Tony Daley header, anyway the Blues played Swindon and managed to throw away a 4-1 lead with 20 minutes to go to lose 4-6! What a great day that was for me ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal