collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Questions for Mr. Lerner Sir  (Read 60745 times)

Offline gervilla

Re: Questions for Mr. Lerner Sir
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Some very good points. I have never felt so indifferent towards my beloved club as I do now. I watched yesterday and all I could think was " God theres another 9 months of this"

I don't get this bit. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but I could never feel indifferent to our club.
Indifferent to the Owner, the Board and their policies ( or what we believe are their policies), maybe but not towards our club.
If I'm misreading what you're saying, then apologies.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:16:42 PM »
Some very good points. I have never felt so indifferent towards my beloved club as I do now. I watched yesterday and all I could think was " God theres another 9 months of this"

I don't get this bit. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but I could never feel indifferent to our club.
Indifferent to the Owner, the Board and their policies ( or what we believe are their policies), maybe but not towards our club.
i think a lot of people feel the same, thats why attendancies vary

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
Written by an evictee from here and published on a certain blog...

So people can be banned from here and moderators see fit to use their opinions to provoke response here ?

Offline gervilla

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »

i think a lot of people feel the same, thats why attendancies vary

Fair enough. I only get to 1 game a season. That doesn't fluctuate. Maybe if I was in a position to attend more often then I would hum and haw about attending depending on how things are going.

Offline RunRickyRun

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
Those who use the same level of wit as David Gold should viewed with the same level of contempt.

Offline PhilGibson

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:24 PM »
I just think it is a sad state of affairs entering the season where the hottest of topics is the turnover and costs of the club. In this money dictated world of football it is a sad reflection that the relative turnover of our club versus our peers dictates our ability on the pitch.

The truth is if football is now all about business and wages are the biggest expenditure then we need to cut our cloth accordingly. It appears that some owners are now using the new UEFA rules as a means to pull the plug on spending.

Interestingly Paris St Germain and Malaga have recently had new mega wealthy owners and must be spending more than they bring in, to try and bring success on the pitch, do these fall foul of the new rules and will they be kicked out of europe should they get there?

No chance! just like Man City wont they will find a way round the rules, just like the richest tend to find ways of circumnavigating paying tax.

I back the fact we cannot expect to spend circa 85% of our turnover on wages, and to enable us to invest we must cut the wages to turnover and increase revenue into the club. This is the best way to make us viable.

I cannot help feeling though that Randy has had a change of heart, because whilst I agree that we cannot afford to put uneccesary risks on the club that could jeopardise the future. The problem I have with the new strategy is how quickly we are enacting this change without any thought to how this is going to effect the performance on the pitch, which for a football club is the bread and butter of generating income. It makes no sense to aim to be in the top 20 of the Deloitte rich list, if we do not have the revenue being generated by performances on the pitch.

For me exciting football with quality players will generate income, because if you are on TV more and receive more press exposure, then this will be better for any prospective "corporate partner".

Anyway back to the football, Given had a good game yesterday!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »
I feel quite sorry for the General in all this if I'm honest. He's been hung out to dry. It's obvious by some of his comments such as 'When has Randy not backed the manager?', 'Our ambitions have not changed' that he has been out of the loop RE goings on at B6 since he has taken his new job.

Is that £15million related to the management fees from the accounts last year or something else entirely?

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
Someone at work made an interesting comment today, which the more I think about the more I think is about right.

Villa have about as much chance of winning the league as someone like Port Vale have, but at least supporting the Vale would be more fun.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
If you were in Randy's position (ooh er missus)
what would you do?
a-spunk a load of money away on trying to compete with manc Citie et al
b-encourage more of the likes of Bannan/Albrighton etc and wait to see what effect these financial fair play regs have?

he's had a go at -'a',seemingly got sick of looking at a very lopsided balance sheet and gone for option 'b'

and there is bugger all we can do about it

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
Someone at work made an interesting comment today, which the more I think about the more I think is about right.

Villa have about as much chance of winning the league as someone like Port Vale have, but at least supporting the Vale would be more fun.

Why is it? The last 12 months have seen their fans marching against their owner and all of the stuff that goes with that. It's the same at all clubs, even fans of the most successful team of the last 20 years get preoccupied with protests against the Glaziers.

The fun of going to games comes from your own attitude, I reckon.

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »

Why is it? The last 12 months have seen their fans marching against their owner and all of the stuff that goes with that. It's the same at all clubs, even fans of the most successful team of the last 20 years get preoccupied with protests against the Glaziers.

The fun of going to games comes from your own attitude, I reckon.

Or not going and still having a good old  moan about what should or not be going on within the running of the club.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
If your not a season ticket holder its expensive to go. I went to fulham yesterday, I sent a lot of money and it wasn't that entertaining. I have a feelin that this is what its going to be like! Were gonna be the new blues. Also reading that Randy now sees us a business model hardly fills me with confidence

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »

So people can be banned from here and moderators see fit to use their opinions to provoke response here ?

What are you going on about? It's a post I read elsewhere that I thought deserving of discussion.

Offline pelty

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
If you were losing 20 million pounds this year *after* all the sales, what would you do? I think it is legitimate to ask questions about why tighter controls on the money were not kept early on, but my guess is that it was a real attempt to break into the CL. That did not work and so he began to rein it in during the last year of MON's reign because he did not trust him and was not getting a return on money spent. He is simply trying to reduce the wages to realistic levels. Not sure he should be blamed for it as 20 million is a great deal of money to anyone!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »

What are you going on about? It's a post I read elsewhere that I thought deserving of discussion.

The poster in question isn't banned in any case.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal