collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

150 celebrations by Risso
[Today at 06:00:21 PM]

NSWE Investment by Bad English
[Today at 05:55:04 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 05:51:14 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by murfee
[Today at 05:44:50 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Caribbeanvillan
[Today at 05:40:22 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by algy
[Today at 05:23:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Smithy
[Today at 05:21:40 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dogtanian
[Today at 05:15:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Questions for Mr. Lerner Sir  (Read 60715 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Questions for Mr. Lerner Sir
« on: August 14, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »
Article written by Villa fan Denis_B:

We have all read a lot of things lately about what we ‘think’ is going on at Villa Park but unfortunately the wall of silence, unlike the Berlin Wall is still intact.

The B6 equivalent of Pravda has recently issued a letter to the valued Season Ticket holders wherein Randy and Paul probably well assisted by Price Waterhouse Cooper or similar have tried to deliver a smoke and mirrors communication straight out of the manual ‘How to run a Football Club and piss off the fans’ first published by Doug Ellis in 1984. But what about the 10′s of thousands of non season ticket holders around the globe, what do they count for?

We read about the Europs top 20 Financial League and how we are going to increase turnover etc etc etc….. bean counter speech all of it. As a non-season ticket holder I am not sure whether I was allowed to read it or whether I should even comment on it.

Simple things actually need answering as far as I am concerned. IF Ged Houllier had not suffered a heart attack we were led to believe he was going to rebuild the squad. Sadly that was not to be so what happened?

We managed to rid the club of 12 players in recent months, replacing them with 2.

We received about £35,000,000 for 2 alone and have spent about £13,000,000. allegedly we have repaid Randy some £15,000,000 in respect of a loan leaving us with at least £7,000,000 left BUT the manager has no money to spend. Bent and Makoun were purchased with the Milner cash in a moment of panic when things did look bad and relegation was a strong possibility.

So what would have happened if the club genuinely offered improved contracts to Ashley Young and Downing? Would that have left us well and truly impoverished and on the verge of significant financial problems?

Or is it likely the club had no intention whatsoever of keeping either of these 2 and just lied to us?

These questions have been asked of the oracle of all good in Randys world, good old Colonel Sanders, sorry General Krulak but on the odd occasion he can drag himself from his 24/7 job at some US seat of learning he manages to sidestep the issues.

The club sent out the Colonel to sell us the brand and the ideas and sow the PR seeds regarding how good Randy was for all things Claret and Blue so what has happened? A man who is supposed to be a non-executive Director, part of the Board running a multi million pound business can’t find more than a few minute a fortnight to speak to the plebs via 3 websites. How on earth can he contribute to the running of the club?

The whole thing is rapidly going pear shaped and I for one cannot see where it is going to go from here. Is he going to sell? Is he going to let things drift and hope the Arabs, Gilletts or Romans all get bored and then hope we can then challenge?

I can certainly accept we are not going to challenge seriously in the short to medium term and any ambition to do so is ridiculous so why not re-introduce yourself to the English language instead of the fluent gibberish in the letter and make some sort of address to ALL fans?

Remember Randy you are privileged to be the custodian of an old English institution, Aston Villa Football Club, the fact you do not like publicity is in all honesty too bad. You have put yourself in this position and you owe it to us the fans to come out and speak. The fact you only managed to attend about 10 games last year doesn’t bode well.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:10:41 AM by Legion »

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
Re: Questions for Mr. Lerner Sir
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:05 PM »
That's the thing I don't get about it all. The board have told us that improved terms were offered to Milner, Ashley and Downing - the latter two looked like signing and then stalled... Then at the end of the season both are gone pretty quickly.

What would have happened had they accepted the contracts on offer and signed?

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
nice one Leeg, have you sent it?
Is it now understood that RL is a lot less wealthy than he was or thought he was 5 years ago?
I dont think that there is much we dont know except for RL long term intention and he is hardly likely to disclose that, particularly if he wants out.
It is pretty obvious that the strategy now is to try to break even whilst maintaining a place in the PL, in fact these are mutually inclusive.

Offline sidcowans10

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
Some very good points. I have never felt so indifferent towards my beloved club as I do now. I watched yesterday and all I could think was " God theres another 9 months of this"

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
nice one Leeg, have you sent it?
Is it now understood that RL is a lot less wealthy than he was or thought he was 5 years ago?
I dont think that there is much we dont know except for RL long term intention and he is hardly likely to disclose that, particularly if he wants out.
It is pretty obvious that the strategy now is to try to break even whilst maintaining a place in the PL, in fact these are mutually inclusive.

Has Leeg written that? I would be surprised as referring to Gen Krulak as Col Saunders is something I wouldn't expect from him, especially as he has met him on several occasions in the Bartons.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
I agree with a lot of it, but the Col Sanders bit is a bit too disrespectful.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:01:48 PM »
So we still need to reduce wages, and we can't afford a loan signing unless we offload players again.  Yet we offered Downing and Young improved terms?  Hmmmmm.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:21 PM »
Missing from the outgoings are the multi millions paid to either release or compensate Lerners managerial appointments.
That probably takes up the remainder.

My question would be simple.
How is Randy using his business accumen to increase revenue at the club ?

Offline Nigel Macdougall

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
Who or what is that a "quote" from ?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:04:15 PM »
''Col Sanders'' and ''Mr Lerner Sir''...not exactly going to win their respect taking the piss out of their names.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
No name/piss taking.

Think we got room to spend on wages after cutting so much back.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »
Typical load of moaning bollocks you read on all sites these days.

The only way we are going to compete is to get a middle eastern sovereign wealth fund to buy the club and pump money in.

Randy is not Abramovich, get over it

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
Written by an evictee from here and published on a certain blog...

Offline VillaZogmariner

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »

The only way we are going to compete is to get a middle eastern sovereign wealth fund to buy the club and pump money in.

Maybe so, but there are still questions that need to be answered.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »

Maybe so, but there are still questions that need to be answered.

Correct, a lot of what has happened of late makes no sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal