collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 58944 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Fulham vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 14, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »
Back on the football, it did reinforce my thinking that N'Zogbia is more of a forward than a wide midfielder. I think he'd tend to be better in a front 3 than in a 4-4-2 or even 4-2-3-1 as we played yday. He didn't seem to want to go wide and get the ball from LY for some reason.

Offline levico

« Reply #241 on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
I'm quite happy with a point mainly because I expected Fulham to play much better than they did. However, I can't see us scoring many goals or winning games this season. Don't see us losing too many either but this formula got Blouse relegated last season. I think it's AM's forte.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
Well, a draw was quite predicatable, wasn't it?

I didn't like the team AM picked, mainly the inclusion of Heskey and Gabby in deeper roles.  Although they worked hard and had attributes that troubled the opposition, their lack of vision and creativity left us a little blunt and meant Bent was feeding on scraps.  The defence and keeper looked good, although that was to be expected.

Fulham were ahead of us fitness wise die to their Euro games and also had home advantage, so a point is a pretty decent result.  Our ability to turn these sort of performances into wins is what'll speratae us from the pack if Mcleish can do it, which barring any additional signings will be by getting Ireland and Albrighton into the team and playing well.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
Interesting view of the match (and other things) from across the pond.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110813/ZNYT03/108133018/-1/news03?Title=In-Britain-Soccer-Crowds-Are-Welcome-Sights

The guy who wrote that is the usual Villa reporter for the Telegraph - he must have been typing with an american accent.

My own view of Saturday...

Great away day as expected - Fulham and their fans are a club who have my utmost respect. More so than any other club. They deserve huge credit for the neutral section.

A result I would have settled for beforehand, although I'd hoped for a better game.

Far too early to make too many judgements on players, manager or style but Given will surely become a big favourite with the fans. I felt N'Zogbia was kept on about 20 mins too long - he very nearly cost us the game. Hope he learns quickly what's required when he hasn't got the ball.

One thing's for sure - Young, Downing and Walker will be missed and their loss won't easily be covered. Big Eck doesn't have the tools available to him that previous managers have, so I hope we all show a bit of patience.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
I wasn't impressed at the game to be honest but after 48 hours I feel a bit better about it. I have to be realistic in my expectations from here on in as we have sold 2 England attacking  players and replaced them with a half fit player from Wigan. He'll get better hopefully if previous evidence is to go by.

What I would say in praise of AM is that the first time since before DOL I saw evidence of work on the training ground. The defence were extremely well organised.

I am finding the whole idea of paying £76.00 for me and the nipper plus travel costs and the etc's a bit difficult to justify to myself for 90 mins of not brill entertainment but that's footy, we wouldn't go if we knew the result before hand would we. For every 5 'Fulhams' away there is an 'Arsenal'  away.l

As for the day itself, Fulham is a great away game in a super location.

Offline exigo

« Reply #245 on: August 15, 2011, 01:00:02 PM »
What I would say in praise of AM is that the first time since before DOL I saw evidence of work on the training ground. The defence were extremely well organised.

Big plus for me from the game. We actually tried a few different things from free kicks and corners. Made a nice change from Young blasting it into row Z.

Offline Merv

« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
I didn't like the team AM picked, mainly the inclusion of Heskey and Gabby in deeper roles.  Although they worked hard and had attributes that troubled the opposition, their lack of vision and creativity left us a little blunt and meant Bent was feeding on scraps. 

Me neither, John. Arguably our best 'footballers' in Makoun, Ireland and Bannan all on the bench, none of them used at all. I was hoping two of the three would start. AM went for two athletic types in those roles instead - pace and power - so it wasn't surprising we didn't create much.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
Think Mcleish will realise he has to use players who will supply Bent. (Albrighton Bannan Makoun) but a decent start and the defence looked solid. Nzogbia will get better and with Makoun and Albrighton to add to the team think the creativity will be much better .......

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
 I know it's a bit silly but...
I use Barry B in the 'just behind the stikers' role in Fifa11-his astute little passes etc work wonders(seeing as he's too slow to outpace full backs in the LM role)

I thought we were crying out for him to come on against Fulham to unlock the 3 or 4 forwards(depending on your view of  N'z) we had on the pitch

just a thought

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »
It is a bit silly, but I agree about Bannan.

I'd be playing Ireland to try and get the best out of him, but if/when he sticks his underpants on his head, two pencils up his nose and starts saying "Wibble" then I'd then fuck him off and play wee Barry in his position.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #250 on: August 15, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
I know it's a bit silly but...
I use Barry B in the 'just behind the stikers' role in Fifa11-his astute little passes etc work wonders(seeing as he's too slow to outpace full backs in the LM role)

I thought we were crying out for him to come on against Fulham to unlock the 3 or 4 forwards(depending on your view of  N'z) we had on the pitch

just a thought

I think Bannan is a cracking player but the danger on Saturday was in trying to win the game we ran the risk of losing it. I think playing away it's usual to err on the side of caution, particularly when we've turned conceding late goals into an art form.

Offline BILL DE VALL

« Reply #251 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
It is a bit silly, but I agree about Bannan.

I'd be playing Ireland to try and get the best out of him, but if/when he sticks his underpants on his head, two pencils up his nose and starts saying "Wibble" then I'd then fuck him off and play wee Barry in his position.

When Ireland 1st turned up he was trying those little flicks etc-but no-one was reading them so they didn't work-he looked shit for giving the ball away and was dropped.
if he really gets his head down and works with the lads on reading his game/flicks etc he might be a great player for us-but he is a headcase so..for me Barry B is our best bet.
the lad has ability most of us only dream of

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
Did anybody else notice that the shorts were a completely different shade of claret to the shirts? Strange.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal