collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 01:49:22 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by dave.woodhall
[April 17, 2024, 11:28:11 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Three centre backs anyone?  (Read 6641 times)

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Three centre backs anyone?
« on: August 08, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
Looking at the state of the defence, and the lack of any battlers in midfield, I wonder if it might be worth going back to playering three centre backs ala GT Mk1, Little and Gregory.

If we played Clark in the left of three centre it may work well for him, certainly didn't do Barry any harm. It would probably help Collins and Dunne look more assured, and may be a better way of shoring up the defence than playing people out of position as defensive midfield players (Clark) or relying on naturally attacking players to play a defensive midfield role (Delph / Petrov).

Could go with something like this:

..........................Given.................................

..........Collins.....Dunne.......Clark.................

Young..............................................Warnock

..............Bannan...Delph...Makoun..................

..........................Nzogbia................................

.......................Bent.......................................

or could play Gabby up front with Bent and Bannan for N'Zogbia in midfield.

I know this wasn't the most exciting formation under Gregory, but it may allow us to play our attacking midfielders without the defence creaking under the pressure.

Thoughts?

Offline Irish villain

Re: Three centre backs anyone?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:32:12 PM »
I think that formation has had its day. I don't think Young and Warnock have enough in them to play the wing back role which requries an awful lot of energy.

I wouldn't play N'Zogbia in the hole either. I've seen one or two on here suggest it but I think he should be on the wing, particularly when we yhave players like Ireland and Bannan who can play that role.

Offline rutski

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:36:34 PM »
with a defensive manager now in charge of the club i didnt think we could be more negative! You how ever have achieved it!

Offline noodles_

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
Considering most teams play 4-5-1/4-3-3 its not a very good idea. You're basically wasting 2 players and surrendering any kind of control of the midfield.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »
Neither Young nor Warnock are wing backs and they're essential to making that formation work. What I think will happen in practice is they'll get pushed back and we'll be overrun in midfield

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
I'm still hoping we can pull one more signing out of the hat like Diarra or Palacios. That one single signing could make a huge difference to our season.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »
Neither Young nor Warnock are wing backs and they're essential to making that formation work. What I think will happen in practice is they'll get pushed back and we'll be overrun in midfield

Definitely. We don't have personnel to do it. Neither our full backs or wide players are versatile and/or fit enough to do the job.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »
Unfortunately the wing back system seems to have gone the way of tamagochis and Opal Fruits.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
It was good while it lasted for us. In the late nineties Gareth Barry looked like another Bobby Moore in his position on the left side of a back three. Unfortunately the system got sussed. I can't think of anyone who uses it anymore.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
Liverpool beat Chelsea using it last season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
1996 is on the phone, it wants its formation back.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
Take the point on the full backs not being up to it. There again a flat back four of Young-Collins-Dunne-Warnock scares the shit out of me, especially with a powder puff central midfield in front of them. So you could say we haven't the personnel for that too.

Problem is whatever formation I look at, we just seem very lightweight in the middle of the park. This has been a problem for two or three seasons now, and it puts the defence under a lot of pressure. Minus Reo Coker, and with Petrov seemingly unable to last more than 60 minutes I am more worried than ever about it though.

If we really are not going to get any more players in, then McLeish will have to try and protect that back four somehow. Clark in a back three looks better to me than Clark out of position in midfield, Hogg in midfield, or any combination of our more attacking midfielders.

I suppose N'Zogbia could possibly operate as a wing back, having played left back in the past.

Edit: Clutching at straws really. Haven't felt this nervous about a new season in a long time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:12:03 PM by ASHTONVILLA »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 09:13:57 PM »
No thanks. I want four at the back but with very mobile centre-halves and a quick defensive midfielder to be able to get back and cover at speed to allow our full-backs to go rampaging forwards like Cafu/Roberto Carlos. Sorry Mr Dunne.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
No thanks. I want four at the back but with very mobile centre-halves and a quick defensive midfielder to be able to get back and cover at speed to allow our full-backs to go rampaging forwards like Cafu/Roberto Carlos. Sorry Mr Dunne.

I'd like that too!

Problem is though that we only have one mobile central defender (Clark), our right back is adequate at best, and our solitary left back is on recent showings a complete liability. Oh and we have no defensive midfielder at all and do not appear interested in getting one, even on a free transfer.

With the players we have we need to protect the defence a little, but if we play our best payers (N'Zogbia, Albrighton and maybe if he gets his form back Ireland) in their natural positions then we can't pack the midfield to make up for lack of bite there. The squad is disjointed, whatever formation we play there are critical weaknesses, even though we have some good players available.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:51:45 PM »
Problem with the 5-3-2/3-5-2 formation is that we don't have the personell for it.

Problem with the 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation or the 4-4-2 formation is that we don't have the personell for it.

We need a decent defensive midfielder and no change in formation can paper over that crack, I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal