collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where will we finish?  (Read 54516 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Where will we finish?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
we also have a bonafide top notch forward that will always get goals. None of the teams outside of the top 6 have one as good.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:50 PM »
The consensus already is that we are in the same group as Bolton, Fulham and Albion. How fast a decline has it been for us!

I disagree with that. Despite a bollocks season, we should have won handily at Bolton who were doing well at the time, and gave away 3 leads against Fulham, and led at Albion before losing. Tighten those defensive displays I don't think those teams are as good as us.

I think there's an obvious 5 teams better than us. Liverpool have spent a lot of money, but they have to gel together. Pre-season's been horrendous for them, and if they don't get off to a good start there will be a lot of pressure on Kenny. Everton will start like shit as ever, and you have to think there's only so much Moyes can do with that squad without investment. He'll still find a way to challenge us for 7th. Bruce signed a lot of very average players at Sunderland. Fulham and Stoke will be distracted by the Europa, as will Spurs. It does take a toll on the domestic campaign.

I don't think things are as bad as some are making out. I certainly don't see any of the squads beyond Liverpool who I see as 6th best as that intimidating.

We are back to the ifs, buts and hopefullys again though. We could finish 7th (I afterall went for 8th) but I doubt anyone here would be shocked if we finished below the sides I mentioned. That's what I mean by how we've fallen.

Online KRS

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 11:36:14 PM »
Lets face it...our shocking defence last season needs tightening up, so if we assume thats going to be sorted then the real problem will be getting over run in midfield resulting in loss of possession and persistant pressure on the back four. Fixing the back four is all well and good, but they are going to have their work cut out to keep clean sheets and relying on Bent to nick a goal or two every game. I dont know whether I'm being a miserablist or realistic, but right now, its got the hallmarks of a very very long depressing season.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »
The consensus already is that we are in the same group as Bolton, Fulham and Albion. How fast a decline has it been for us!

I disagree with that. Despite a bollocks season, we should have won handily at Bolton who were doing well at the time, and gave away 3 leads against Fulham, and led at Albion before losing. Tighten those defensive displays I don't think those teams are as good as us.

I think there's an obvious 5 teams better than us. Liverpool have spent a lot of money, but they have to gel together. Pre-season's been horrendous for them, and if they don't get off to a good start there will be a lot of pressure on Kenny. Everton will start like shit as ever, and you have to think there's only so much Moyes can do with that squad without investment. He'll still find a way to challenge us for 7th. Bruce signed a lot of very average players at Sunderland. Fulham and Stoke will be distracted by the Europa, as will Spurs. It does take a toll on the domestic campaign.

I don't think things are as bad as some are making out. I certainly don't see any of the squads beyond Liverpool who I see as 6th best as that intimidating.

We are back to the ifs, buts and hopefullys again though. We could finish 7th (I afterall went for 8th) but I doubt anyone here would be shocked if we finished below the sides I mentioned. That's what I mean by how we've fallen.

Ifs and buts work both ways. I just don't see how the squads at Fulham, Bolton or Albion are better or deeper than us.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »

The most popular votes are seventh and eighth. That;s hardly a concensus sticking us with the three above.

No offense, but if you look at the total number of votes in the poll, there is nothing like enough to start drawing conclusions like that - or any other. You need at least 100 votes before you can look for trends. And 500 would be more like it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »

The most popular votes are seventh and eighth. That;s hardly a concensus sticking us with the three above.

With 3rd and 4th most popular being 11th and 14th, both 1 vote behind 7th place. Which does.

Online KRS

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »
Ifs and buts work both ways. I just don't see how the squads at Fulham, Bolton or Albion are better or deeper than us.
Fulham, Bolton and Albion first XI may not be quite as good on paper but they can change their crap with more crap...the real question is whether or not their crap is better than our crap? Another factor to throw into the equation is hard work, attitude and desire to win...what their crap lacks in talent, is made up by those factors which I dont see in great abundance in our crap. Hope thats makes sense! :D

• Mustang 68
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
With 3rd and 4th most popular being 11th and 14th, both 1 vote behind 7th place. Which does.

Which is more evidence that at this stage the poll results are statistically meaningless.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:32 PM »
Pretty hard to judge really. If we have a bad start i reckon come january re-inforcements will be brought in either under AM or someone else so we could end up higher than this squad looks capable of.  Without injuries and some players improving on last season i'd say 12th. To me it looks a very average side

That's the irony of it all.

If we do really poorly in the first half of the season, Randy will probably end up having to put his hand in his pocket big-style to dig us out of it (see last January) (although, having been told that was just the Milner money, it now transpires it was also the Ashley Young money).

Yeah. to be honest looking at the poll results so far, most of the predictions could be on. We could surprise everyone with a blend of youngsters and an unmental ireland and finish 7th, or we could start really badly, carry on from last season and find there's no money from Randy in Jan and barely stay up. My guess of 12th is probably an average based on some things going right and some wrong.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:48 PM »
Fulham, Bolton and Albion first XI may not be quite as good on paper but they can change their crap with more crap...the real question is whether or not their crap is better than our crap? Another factor to throw into the equation is hard work, attitude and desire to win...what their crap lacks in talent, is made up by those factors which I dont see in great abundance in our crap. Hope thats makes sense! :D

???

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 11:46:22 PM »

Of course they work both ways, I mentioned on another thread that if Ireland, Makoun and Delph do come good, we could have some great stuff to watch.

The other clubs though don't have so many ifs and buts as we do. They may not be as strong on paper as us, but they are probably a lot more settled and performances will be more predictable than we are right now.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:11 PM »
these polls are all very emotional. Had we run this after the Blackburn game, and having signed N'Zogbia it would likely have looked a bit different to the one now having been beaten by Chelsea and Derby. I know paulie said at the start that he'll run this again at the end of the window. That's important because we will have started the season and the window will have shut. It will give us a better idea of what we are by then.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:25 PM »

If third and fourth makes a concensus, what does first and second make?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:54 PM »
Well as far as I know a consensus is a generally accepted opinion. So it could be argued 7th-8th (12 votes) is above those clubs I mentioned as they have the most individual votes. But 9th-16th (17 votes) puts us firmly in with them according to the majority of voters.

Aren't polls fun!

• Mustang 68
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
If third and fourth makes a concensus, what does first and second make?

I gave you the answer to that above.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal