collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:40:18 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:38:03 PM]

Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:23:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wages, wages, wages....  (Read 24896 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Wages, wages, wages....
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
Does anyone know how ST sales are going? Could a noticeable drop make a difference to what they are prepared to outlay each week?

Offline cdward

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
I do feel a bit for AM, he's not going to get the honeymoon period most new managers get and is not exactly being backed (so far).
Nobody forced him to come here, I'm pretty sure AM knew the restrictions regarding the resources available, isn't that how we ended up with him, every other manager didn't fancy it. AM took the job on, knowing the stick he would get and knowing he would have to sell first. Even whisky nose Ferguson knew what AM was coming into.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:48 PM »
Anyhow - I have asked enough questions to kick it off - any other ideas, questions, thoughts most welcome!!! Anyone with answers even better.

I did a rough tally up by putting all the kids on £10k or £20k a week and all the senior players on £40k or £60k a week. It came to just over £40m per year.

That would put us alongside the likes of Fulham and Blackburn.

Would you fancy putting up your list of player/wages to see if people agree with your figures?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 12:19:15 AM »
Anyhow - I have asked enough questions to kick it off - any other ideas, questions, thoughts most welcome!!! Anyone with answers even better.

I did a rough tally up by putting all the kids on £10k or £20k a week and all the senior players on £40k or £60k a week. It came to just over £40m per year.

That would put us alongside the likes of Fulham and Blackburn.

Would you fancy putting up your list of player/wages to see if people agree with your figures?

i can't imagine many of the kids are on 20k! Could be wrong but i'd say allbrighton is the only one in that bracket.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:03:28 AM by Greg N'Ash »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 12:36:03 AM »
Anyone who mentions Spurs in this one gets shot.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:00 AM »

Haha! Poor Villazawg (née 'dawg')...I can imagine you cowering as you typed that.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »
Factor in the new sponsorship deal as well and the wages> turnover ratio should be a lot healthier now.

I don't want to go the Slumberland route and say Big Eck is playing a blinder on this, but after Carson and his cronies made noises about £20, no maybe £30 or maybe even £40 million available for new players, he probably knows the value of keeping schtum.

Lessons learned the hard way, and all that.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 02:57:18 AM »
I then think that the public statement from the General saying that they would back the manager transfer wise has been a farcical one. I agree, not knowing is difficult as you cannot quantify what has gone and what we expect to still go, but to lose the players we have without actually choosing replacements bar 1, being NZogbia for Downing is harsh. Ireland is not a replacement for Jimmy, we never replaced Barry, and Ash is yet to be replaced. 4 England internationals in their prime gone, only 1 replaced and the club saying they will back the new manager. He is a sitting duck at the moment.

In fairness I think Downing and Delph - two left-footers, a winger and a midfielder, one quite proven, one with bags of potential were ''replacements'' for Barry.
Of Milner, Young and Downing you could say N'Zogbia is in for one of Ash or Downing.
Ireland obviously came as part of the Milner deal. Two very different players. And very different attitudes more to the point. But Makoun also came in during January so you could argue that Ireland and Makoun motivated more than compensate for Milner.

That leaves one of Downing or Young which the club would argue that this has been partly covered by the emergence of the likes of Albrighton and the fact that a new manager with a different way of playing means like for like replacements aren't as necessary/valid....cost-cutting of course but I wouldn't say there's no reasoning in it and ultimately it's what we're going to have to get used to due to Randy's hawkeye on the wage-bill going forward.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:59:12 AM by eamonn »

Offline olofmilosevic

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:08:44 AM »
We've got to have cleared a huge chunk off the bill. Nrc, carew, friedel, young, downing, pires.

I think its a case of randy just doesn't want to put up big money which as you say is a piss take considering the general said mcleish would be backed

blah blah blah boring!! Get off Randy's case! He wants the best for the club!

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:57 AM »
Maybe it's McLeish who wants time to properly assess the squad. As has been mentioned on numerous occasions there are a lot of "ifs" within the squad that could not really be promoted/dumped until they've been tested under something like competitive conditions. The no more signings line (largely peddled by Kendrick) could be a smoke screen to get a good deal on other signings. Let's face it, villa under randy have hardly ever courted publicity to get a cheap headline.

At least that is what I hope. But ultimately it's Randy's money and if he cannot afford it there is little we can do.

Offline eastie

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 06:39:08 AM »
i think in comparison to spurs -ohhhhhhhhhh sorry dave  please dont shoot.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 07:30:45 AM »
It was reported that AM said in the 'fans meeting' he needed a keeper but would wait until he assessed the squad before strengthening.  That sounded sensible then and still does.

He's had an opportunity to have a look and after Derby said we need to strengthen.

If there is no money, then why is there all this talk about discussions with or about Parker and Barton?

I think Randy has been asserting himself to get wages under control.  He has mainly achieved that, but probably still wants to get rid of Cuellar and Beye.

Having reduced the size of the squad and achieved a significant reduction in the wage bill, why would he change from his long term approach?

I think we will buy, but if Randy hangs tough, not until Beye and Cuellar have gone.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 07:47:16 AM »
It was reported that AM said in the 'fans meeting' he needed a keeper but would wait until he assessed the squad before strengthening.  That sounded sensible then and still does.

He's had an opportunity to have a look and after Derby said we need to strengthen.

If there is no money, then why is there all this talk about discussions with or about Parker and Barton?

I think Randy has been asserting himself to get wages under control.  He has mainly achieved that, but probably still wants to get rid of Cuellar and Beye.

Having reduced the size of the squad and achieved a significant reduction in the wage bill, why would he change from his long term approach?

I think we will buy, but if Randy hangs tough, not until Beye and Cuellar have gone.

why would he change from his long term approach?
probably has something to do with the fact that the financial crisis has reaped havoc in the last 2 years or so and randys finances have probably taken a battering -far different times no than when randy took over.

Five years ago the top 4 was achievable but now it is out of reach without enormous cash investment, i suppose randy thinks why spend £40m or so to try and finish 6th rather than 8th and get an extre £2m in prize money.

Offline Maradona10

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 08:02:01 AM »
The problem at Villa is we are paying alot of average footballers huge amounts, we simply cannot afford to add more wages, however I don't believe that should stop us strengthening, I honestly think next year is when we'll see the best of our club, we'll clear alot of the deadwood, this season may be similar to MON's first, work with what you have, then the likes of Heskey, Young, Petrov, Cuellar, Beye will all hopefully leave that's potentially 250k a week there in wages, then use scouting to find us better players, like would Nathanial Clyne have been any worse than Beye? He would have been 20k cheaper. That's why I would steer clear of Parker and Barton.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 08:24:22 AM »
as a previous employer nothing bothered me more than seeing me paying for someone sat around doing nothing

they either did something or they left.

I suppose Randy Lerner is just taking the same view of his expensive bench as I did of my managers appointments.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal