collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pressing matters  (Read 9427 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Pressing matters
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »
Well we finished 9th last season. We're certainly not a better side on paper to the one which finished the season so i'm not sure where this improvement is coming from.

The way I see it is we have Bent for the full season that's a major plus.  Zog I feel will contribute as much as Downing if not more, we will miss Young but not the Young of last season.  We will be stronger defensively because that's what AM is good at.  That's where I see and expect improvement.  I also think we might even for the first time in decades have a side/set up that can close out games from a winning position.

I've gotta pick you up on this AM is better at the defensive side theory as i keep hearing it on here from various people What is this based on? Our defence was bobbins last season but it still only let in 1 more goal that AM's Blose side. he plays a more defensive system than GH granted, but i'm not sure he's some sort of defensive genuis.

It's based on the fact he was a defender and knows a bit about defending.  I don't think he's a genius in this department but very good in as much that he got that ramshackled lot defending very well for most of the season.  The major injury to Dann as you know was their undoing. 

One other aspect that AM will bring to the club that was clearly missing last season will be a togetherness in the team, that in itself should yield a few more points.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:40 PM »
I notice that we are allowed to call him Alex. Thank goodness.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
Lower midtable sounds about right. It's a big ask of Albrighton, N'Zogbia and Ireland to replace Young and Downing - especially in terms of consistency. I'm also unconvinced that Dunne and Collins will receive sufficient protection from the midfield, as NRC is gone and Stan is another year older and probably even shorter on breath than last year. I fear that our defensive weaknesses in midfield may cost us too many points against teams that are battling for upper mid-table.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
Our weak midfield will be our undoing.   We were overrun in the midfield many times last season and the defence carried the can for lumping the ball forward.   Without NRC and with a very unproven player in Makoun I think unless there is dramatic improvement to our existing midfield players and Gary Gardner lives up to his billing we will lose too many points to avoid a season much like the one just past.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal