collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ?% Villa. Martinez, MON and the pie eaters  (Read 46748 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: ?% Villa. Martinez, MON and the pie eaters
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »
No, makes you think that your average football club owner has a bit more sense and knowledge than your average footy-mag hack.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
Fair assessment I reckon.

Which, the article or the "amazed he could reach the keyboard to type that shite whilst chomping down on MON's cock!"
If it's the latter, then I completely agree with you.

The former. The latter didn't make much sense to me as I would have thought the problem would be seeing the screen rather than reaching the keyboard..

So you've obviously thought about it..

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
Who do you prefer Villa'Zawg, Martin O'Neill or Aston Villa?

I was banned the last time I gave you a straight answer to this type of question, so I'll let you make your own mind up this time.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 11:26:26 PM »

Which, the article or the "amazed he could reach the keyboard to type that shite whilst chomping down on MON's cock!"

The former. The latter didn't make much sense to me as I would have thought the problem would be seeing the screen rather than reaching the keyboard..

You have curious circuitous way of discussing your predilections. It would probably best if we dropped the subject and everyone can go back to ignoring your strange obsession with the ex-manager.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 11:32:34 PM »
Depends if you think the rejuvination was more about the 80m in fees and the same in wages we spent rather than MON's inspiration managership

I think you have to spend money and have a good manager.

How much transfer fees/wages do you are needed to be where you would like to see the club?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
Depends if you think the rejuvination was more about the 80m in fees and the same in wages we spent rather than MON's inspiration managership

How much transfer fees/wages do you are needed to be where you would like to see the club?

Avram Grant got 2nd with enough money so i don't particulary think you need a good manager. If you threw 80m at AM i wouldn't be surprised if we got 5th either

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 12:00:24 AM »

You have curious circuitous way of discussing your predilections. It would probably best if we dropped the subject and everyone can go back to ignoring your strange obsession with the ex-manager.

What's strange is your undying devotion to him despite what's gone on. From what I understand, you think Lerner was wrong to stop giving O'Neill money, whilst I think Lerner lacked the know-how to run the club financially. There's an huge difference.

For me, MON just took the piss, he was always going to be a manager that needed just one more player but in reality he just wasn't that good a manager. What concerns me more is Lerner. Despite his dedication to the club and financial backing, I think we'd struggle to find an owner that would allow things to get so out of hand. I expected more and I pray he's learned his lesson.

Poorly researched tripe like that article are always going to annoy me. It's bullshit but what's more annoying is we've wasted 5 years. You keep on defending MON, blame Lerner for not wasting more millions with him, giving stupid wages to aging players that he never used and whilst I'll still find it comical, it won't stop me being more concerned with why we allowed him to do it.

That for me is the real story.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
Astonishgly, the article doesn't really mention how O'Bottler fucked off five days before the start of the season leaving us with a bunch of highly paid reserves, funny that.

It also fails to mention the wage (to turnover)  bill MON left Villa with.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 12:17:14 AM »

Avram Grant got 2nd with enough money so i don't particulary think you need a good manager. If you threw 80m at AM i wouldn't be surprised if we got 5th either

I don't see the point of getting into a discussion about comparing our transfer fee/wages spend to Chelsea or what might happen if you spent another £80m to build on this squad.

My question was how much transfer fees/wages do you think are needed to be where you would like to see the club? Do you have a view on that?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »

I don't see the point of getting into a discussion about comparing our transfer fee/wages spend to Chelsea or what might happen if you spent another £80m to build on this squad.

My question was how much transfer fees/wages do you think are needed to be where you would like to see the club? Do you have a view on that?

what we spent under MON but with a good manager spending it. The idea probably was that CL Income would offset the initial expenditure. Once it became clear MON wasn't going to do it we have what we have now. End of the day it was a one-off gamble that didn't pay off because of bad judgement calls and the limited tactical ability of the manager. Its dead money now and i don't think we'll ever spend similar to the MON days again.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:33:13 AM by Greg N'Ash »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
Greg, I see you're still banging on about MON's net spend being £80m. Yet the other week you were convinced he sold Milner, meaning his net spend was £54m. So which is it?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41:30 AM »

What's strange is your undying devotion to him despite what's gone on. From what I understand, you think Lerner was wrong to stop giving O'Neill money, whilst I think Lerner lacked the know-how to run the club financially. There's an huge difference.

For me, MON just took the piss, he was always going to be a manager that needed just one more player but in reality he just wasn't that good a manager. What concerns me more is Lerner. Despite his dedication to the club and financial backing, I think we'd struggle to find an owner that would allow things to get so out of hand. I expected more and I pray he's learned his lesson.

Poorly researched tripe like that article are always going to annoy me. It's bullshit but what's more annoying is we've wasted 5 years. You keep on defending MON, blame Lerner for not wasting more millions with him, giving stupid wages to aging players that he never used and whilst I'll still find it comical, it won't stop me being more concerned with why we allowed him to do it.

That for me is the real story.

All you have to do to get me to agree with you is explain to me how we could have done it with less money and without further investment. You won't find any of the clubs that are now vying for top four with a more frugally assembled squad or significantly lower wages than we had. We were and are massively below average in terms of transfer spend and wages for the top six.

We need to stop thinking about the money as Lerner's money and realise that we are talking about the club's revenue and investment.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
Doesn't really matter really does it? by the time he sold milner (or not) the dream was over. He'd built his team, it wasn't good enough or he wasn't

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »

what we spent under MON but with a good manager spending it. The idea probably was that CL Income would offset the initial expenditure. Once it became clear MON wasn't going to do it we have what we have now. End of the day it was a one-off gamble that didn't pay off because of bad judgement calls and the limited tactical ability of the manager. Its dead money now and i don't think we'll ever spend similar to the MON days again.

Why is it dead money when 3/4 of it was returned to the club through the sales of Milner, Young and Downing?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 12:59:23 AM »

Why is it dead money when 3/4 of it was returned to the club through the sales of Milner, Young and Downing?

Dead money because by the time they had been sold any hope of CL football or joining the big boys was over. I don't believe Lerner had a 5 year plan or such but i believe there was a period of time they were willing to stomach massive losses with no end result and that came to an end last summer. MON had longer than any other manager since Saunders i believe to do it in and certainly favourably comparable to other clubs managers who haven't won anything. In fact it seems he would have got last season as well if he'd hadn't walked out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal