collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mirror: How Alex McLeish is winning over the haters at Aston Villa  (Read 35502 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Mirror: How Alex McLeish is winning over the haters at Aston Villa
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 09:12:11 AM »
I never liked houllier when he was at Liverpool and it got to the point last season where I detested the man.i have no problem with a manager dropping a player based on form but it was obvious that Houllier had personal agendas.There were a number of managers waxing lyrical about Dunne last season when he had his bust up and I don't recall reading any negative press about Warnock before Houllier rolled up either.Doesn't matter whether you're on 200 quid a week or £50k a week.If you don't/can't respect the manager it will affect your performance.
As for McMinge, well I always found him to be a likeable character.I, like many others wasn't pleased when he got the job, with the two relegations rather than the Blues connection being my concern but he's done and said everything right so far to get the fans onboard.Hopefully we'll start the season well and the detractors will be quietened down.
You only have to see how Warnocks performed so far in the 2 friendlies to see that GH was wrong with him

Whilst it is encouraging, it is two friendlies, one of which was against Walsall. He's got to produce in a league environment - it wasn't just about Houllier abandoning him randomly whilst all the time he was excellent. He was rank poor for a long time before that.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
I'd be delighted if Ireland and Warnock proved that GH was wrong to drop them, but we don't always knwo what goes on behinf closed doors, they may have acted like a pair of ******.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:51 AM »
Winning over the haters my arse. The dissent towards him was always going to quieten down before the season started. As ever it will be all about results, and he'll be okay if he gets off to a flyer. If not, then the blose thing will rear its head just like the fickle thing did with DOL and GH's love-in with Liverpool did

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »

the Mirror get more stick on here than any other paper, the reason is because they write about Villa more than any other paper, good and bad.

Villa dont exist for many other publications, at least the Mirror are interested, and just because they dont write positive news all the time they get pelters.

i know there can be an agenda, especially with Oliver Holt, but like i say you cant have it all ways, papers will never be like the 'official Villa site' where every thing is all warm and cosey, and they will write absolute crap sometimes,

but the Mirror are at leat interested in the club, they write about it more than any other paper, so you will always get the Good the Bad and the Ugly

I don't really care if they write positive or negative stuff, the reason they get so much stick is that the majority of what they write is just made up rubbish.  And Oliver Holt, who is a c***.

Did you know his Mother is...........................

:)

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
Oliver Holt and Neil Moxley are two journo's I just can't stand.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 09:58:19 AM »
I wasn't happy when we hired him, but it's done now and we need to just get on with it. He does come across as a good person as well.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
It's been a while since I said anything bad about Oliver Holt.

The smug, bed-wetting, fat-faced, bagpuss-looking, monkey-felching mongoloid!

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
Quote from: hilts_coolerking on Today at 01:07:29 AM
Quote from: usav on Today at 12:43:32 AM
There is talking bollocks and then there is this:

But as Villa clearly do not have much cash to spend this summer (which probably explains why the likes of Roberto Martinez turned them down), McLeish is having to utilise all his assets.What's wrong with that?

The not much cash to spend for one, when we've just agreed a fee of 10m for N'Zogbia.

Roberto Martinez turned us down for lack of cash to stay at Wigan?   Yes, right.

It may not have been the reason he turned us down but I do think we have a lack of cash! We released 11 and sold Young & Downing and we only brought two in and were saying that's it?

poor show if true

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
In regards to winning over the haters, we'll see after the season starts. If we start playing like Blues did then there will be a queue of haters

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 10:55:05 AM »
Winning over the haters my arse. The dissent towards him was always going to quieten down before the season started. As ever it will be all about results, and he'll be okay if he gets off to a flyer. If not, then the blose thing will rear its head just like the fickle thing did with DOL and GH's love-in with Liverpool did

I agree.

He's done o.k so far but watch it all change very quickly if we lose at Craven Cottage and then fail to beat Blackburn at home.

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »

I agree.

He's done o.k so far but watch it all change very quickly if we lose at Craven Cottage and then fail to beat Blackburn at home.

there we have it-mr doom and mr gloom have spoken!

rather than speculate what if we lose to fulham and blackburn ,why not look forward to beating both and getting off to a flier?

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »
In regards to winning over the haters, we'll see after the season starts. If we start playing like Blues did then there will be a queue of haters
But there's no sign of us doing that so far. Granted, the opposition mightn't be the greatest, but we can only judge him on what he's done at the villa so far, and it's positive.

Offline ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 11:42:30 AM »
Sorry to be over-critical of this, but there's something not quite right about this sentence:

"For those outside the Midlands, it is impossible to understate how much a stir McLeish's move from relegated Birmingham to arch-rivals Aston Villa has caused in the region."

Yes indeed, very poor.

I must be an example of declining educational standards as I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
There is talking bollocks and then there is this:
But as Villa clearly do not have much cash to spend this summer (which probably explains why the likes of Roberto Martinez turned them down), McLeish is having to utilise all his assets.
What's wrong with that?

The not much cash to spend for one, when we've just agreed a fee of 10m for N'Zogbia.

Roberto Martinez turned us down for lack of cash to stay at Wigan?   Yes, right.

I was about to reply to Hilts comment and than saw usav post. Yes as you said usav.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
Winning over the fans is a bit premature  comment...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal