collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mirror: How Alex McLeish is winning over the haters at Aston Villa  (Read 35524 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Mirror: How Alex McLeish is winning over the haters at Aston Villa
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »
It's an article by James Nursery, it might be factual in some aspects but it's still him and therefore a pinch of salt springs to mind.  He will be twisting the knife at the first opportunity that's for sure.

That's the problem with him is'nt it? At the first sign of trouble, he'll be writing about a 'club in crisis'.

so cynical clampy, nursey will be eager to see mcleish succeed but houlliers reign provided him plenty of stories to expose with all the bust ups behind the scenes and as a reporter he obviously lapped it up.

he has written many positive villa articles in the past ,but its his job to report what he finds out-after all hes employed by the mirror not villas pr department.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
It's an article by James Nursery, it might be factual in some aspects but it's still him and therefore a pinch of salt springs to mind.  He will be twisting the knife at the first opportunity that's for sure.

That's the problem with him is'nt it? At the first sign of trouble, he'll be writing about a 'club in crisis'.

so cynical clampy, nursey will be eager to see mcleish succeed but houlliers reign provided him plenty of stories to expose with all the bust ups behind the scenes and as a reporter he obviously lapped it up.

he has written many positive villa articles in the past ,but its his job to report what he finds out-after all hes employed by the mirror not villas pr department.

Villa's what now?!

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 08:41:03 AM »
I never liked houllier when he was at Liverpool and it got to the point last season where I detested the man.i have no problem with a manager dropping a player based on form but it was obvious that Houllier had personal agendas.There were a number of managers waxing lyrical about Dunne last season when he had his bust up and I don't recall reading any negative press about Warnock before Houllier rolled up either.Doesn't matter whether you're on 200 quid a week or £50k a week.If you don't/can't respect the manager it will affect your performance.
As for McMinge, well I always found him to be a likeable character.I, like many others wasn't pleased when he got the job, with the two relegations rather than the Blues connection being my concern but he's done and said everything right so far to get the fans onboard.Hopefully we'll start the season well and the detractors will be quietened down.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 08:44:26 AM »
Respect is such a key factor and you have to wonder whether Houllier & McAllister ever commanded it from the players - for the majority you would have to conclude not.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
I never liked houllier when he was at Liverpool and it got to the point last season where I detested the man.i have no problem with a manager dropping a player based on form but it was obvious that Houllier had personal agendas.There were a number of managers waxing lyrical about Dunne last season when he had his bust up and I don't recall reading any negative press about Warnock before Houllier rolled up either.Doesn't matter whether you're on 200 quid a week or £50k a week.If you don't/can't respect the manager it will affect your performance.
As for McMinge, well I always found him to be a likeable character.I, like many others wasn't pleased when he got the job, with the two relegations rather than the Blues connection being my concern but he's done and said everything right so far to get the fans onboard.Hopefully we'll start the season well and the detractors will be quietened down.

i liked what houllier was trying to do playing wise but his lack of respect for villa at anfield followed by the disgusting decision to put out such a weak team at man city in the cup were huge errors and he needlessly shot himself in the foot and alienated himself.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »

the Mirror get more stick on here than any other paper, the reason is because they write about Villa more than any other paper, good and bad.

Villa dont exist for many other publications, at least the Mirror are interested, and just because they dont write positive news all the time they get pelters.

i know there can be an agenda, especially with Oliver Holt, but like i say you cant have it all ways, papers will never be like the 'official Villa site' where every thing is all warm and cosey, and they will write absolute crap sometimes,

but the Mirror are at leat interested in the club, they write about it more than any other paper, so you will always get the Good the Bad and the Ugly

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »

i liked what houllier was trying to do playing wise but his lack of respect for villa at anfield followed by the disgusting decision to put out such a weak team at man city in the cup were huge errors and he needlessly shot himself in the foot and alienated himself.

The Anfield debacle was bad enough but following his dealings in the transfer market I was starting to soften my opinion of him.The style of play thing never really sat with me.We'd had three years of being a side which won more than we lost playing some great counter attacking football,though sometimes against the lesser sides at home we struggled with a lack of ideas.However, when he surrendered in the FA Cup that was it for me.It was as if he was doing us a favour being the manager.He never gave the club nor the fans the respect it deserved.Can't accuse McMinge of that,he's pretty much been spot on in that department.

Offline eastie

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
must admit ive never bought the mirror but i do read their football website and agree with your comments john e.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »
"the players clearly never took Houllier seriously"

Something like this was reported elsewhere recently and it could explain why Randy was so keen to get rid. 

I said something like that yesterday.  Houllier may have been trying to change things like the style of play for the better, but in any job it's impossible to achieve change if you alienate the people who you need to be on your side to get the job done.  I think Lerner probably saw that for Houllier to have a chance of succeeding he'd have to replace pretty well the whole squad, and obviously wans't going to sanction that.

Offline Risso

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »

the Mirror get more stick on here than any other paper, the reason is because they write about Villa more than any other paper, good and bad.

Villa dont exist for many other publications, at least the Mirror are interested, and just because they dont write positive news all the time they get pelters.

i know there can be an agenda, especially with Oliver Holt, but like i say you cant have it all ways, papers will never be like the 'official Villa site' where every thing is all warm and cosey, and they will write absolute crap sometimes,

but the Mirror are at leat interested in the club, they write about it more than any other paper, so you will always get the Good the Bad and the Ugly

I don't really care if they write positive or negative stuff, the reason they get so much stick is that the majority of what they write is just made up rubbish.  And Oliver Holt, who is a ******.

Offline Klaus Katt

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Respect is such a key factor and you have to wonder whether Houllier & McAllister ever commanded it from the players - for the majority you would have to conclude not.
The commandments were "Progress, Pleasure and Performance". Something you could see written on a youth camp banner.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »
Sorry to be over-critical of this, but there's something not quite right about this sentence:

"For those outside the Midlands, it is impossible to understate how much a stir McLeish's move from relegated Birmingham to arch-rivals Aston Villa has caused in the region."

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
Nursey seemed to undergo some kind of personality transplant in about December last year. Prior to that, he never had a single positive thing to say about anyone at the club.

Then he got invited to meet Houllier, I recall, and following that pretty much every single thing he has written has been positive.

Offline Risso

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
Sorry to be over-critical of this, but there's something not quite right about this sentence:

"For those outside the Midlands, it is impossible to understate how much a stir McLeish's move from relegated Birmingham to arch-rivals Aston Villa has caused in the region."

Yes indeed, very poor.

Offline nigel

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »
You only have to see how Warnocks performed so far in the 2 friendlies to see that GH was wrong with him

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal