collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Confidence-o-meter  (Read 21387 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Confidence-o-meter
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
I can't wait. My expectations for the season were always 8th to 13th and they haven't changed. The reason I am excited is we are finally going to see some of our youth get a chance.

This time next year, maybe even January, we will know whether Bannan, the fonz, Delph, Albrighton, Licaj and Clark are good enough. Similarly whether Ireland and Warnock are mentalists.

Even with a 20% success rate that'll be 'like two new signings'.

Next year we lose the likes of Heskey, Beye, Young and Dunne and we'll have slashed the wage bill and be ready to really go for it next summer.

Maybe I have low expectations, but I see loads to be optimistic about.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
I've been reasonably confident for a while that we won't do as badly as some seem to suggest, so today hasn't really altered that.

The game  was played about one notch up from testimonial pace -apart from a few tasty challenges towards the end. But I think even in a regular match, we could nullify the threat that Rovers provide.

So it's not proof positive for me by any means that the defence is now sorted. We'll face far sterner challenges than that. But Dunne looks in good shape (as does Collins)  and Warnock was much improved on the headcase we often seen in the first part of the season last year, mistiming tackles and generally making an arse of himself. Given looks like he's been with us for years.

Bannan looked composed and confident in possession -and nice assist for Bent's goal.  The midfield is still a bit of a concern, but with a few additions we should be confident of at least finishing above the likes of Everton, Sunderland and Newcastle. Anything beyond that depends on (a) the momentum we pick up and (b) whether the likes of Liverpool or Tottingham (preferably both) implode.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
I think we will start reasonably strongly before falling away when injuries and suspensions kick in over the winter. Finish of about 10-12th

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
The mooted "one more player" is hopefully a smoke screen, because it won't be enough, but if he can get a few bodies in, spend sensibly, and strengthen where it is most needed, then it'll be an interesting, if unspectacular season, but one which should see us emerge stronger for the long term at the end of it.

I suspect that with the N'Zogbia signing they'll have the wage bill around where they want it for now. If so, it would make no sense, from a business perspective, to bump it straight back up again. That's why, for the short term at least, I'm expecting us to operate, broadly speaking, a one in, one out policy.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
I'm hoping we have an "'Eck" of a season.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
I agree. The squad numbers wise is probably big enough, especially without European matches.

Cuellar leaving might make room for Dann. Other than that, I cannot see anything happening till January.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I think going into a PL season with only a dozen experienced outfield players is ridiculously risky.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 05:25:57 PM »
Who's been playing at right back for the last couple of games?  Lichaj?

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »
Luke Young.

Offline Merv

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »
I think going into a PL season with only a dozen experienced outfield players is ridiculously risky.

It is. That's why my stance hasn't changed much and I'm only slightly more confident than six weeks ago. We have a strong first X1, strong enough to match anyone outside the top six I'd say, but outside of that, almost everyone else is quite young and inexperienced. With noises being made publicly about no more signings, we'll need considerably more luck on the injury front this season. It remains my major worry, to be honest.

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
Where's Gary Gardner?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
I'm now convinced we're going to win the league.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
A win against Warsaw and a team who could be one of the favourites to be relegated hasn't changed my view too much,though theyre are encouraging signs.

My worry is still the small and weak squad,1 and 2 injuries to defence,midfield and forwards and i fear we'll have a slump in form like we did from November to January last season. If and its a big if Bannan,Clark,Delph,fonz and Albrighton can show real consistancy,which is hard for young players,then things look promising. If they struggle and Ireland goes AWOL then the pressure on McCleish will reach tipping point.

But we have a good six games at the start of the season,so by the end of Sept,we'll know more about where we're gonna stand. UTV.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:24 PM »

It is. That's why my stance hasn't changed much and I'm only slightly more confident than six weeks ago. We have a strong first X1, strong enough to match anyone outside the top six I'd say, but outside of that, almost everyone else is quite young and inexperienced. With noises being made publicly about no more signings, we'll need considerably more luck on the injury front this season. It remains my major worry, to be honest.

It depends on where you draw the line.  I'd count 13 experienced players, including Beye, but some of the kids got a lot of games last season, in particular Clark, Albrighton, Bannan and Delph.

Thing is though, if you add another 3 or 4 senior players you might sleep easier at night, but what is the longterm harm to the kids development.  Is this the classic example of Zat Knight and the Bolton Defender, only in reverse?

Ultimately faith is being put into the kids.  You can't do that and have 4 or 5 players on £40k a week ready to come in 'just in case'.  So lets hope the faith is justified.   

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »
Thing is though, if you add another 3 or 4 senior players you might sleep easier at night, but what is the longterm harm to the kids development?

What's the long term harm to the club if relying too much on the kids sees us perform very poorly? And similarly, what is the long term harm to the kids themselves if they're put under too much pressure, too soon - the likes of Herd, Lowry, even Burke (who most of us had never heard of til the last week or two) and Johnson, who seem to be getting mentioned now.

We saw last season what happens when you use too many kids at the same time.

I'm not saying we shouldn't use the likes of Albrighton, Delfouneso etc etc, and there's no point having players on 40k a week doing nothing, you're right there, but N'Zogbia in and then relying on what we have plus the kids is really nowhere near strong enough.

In that sense, you're right, it does depend where you draw the line, and I reckon the line's in the wrong place if the above scenario is true.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal