collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Confidence-o-meter  (Read 21406 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Confidence-o-meter
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
Lets get the obvious out of the way first;  Yes, it's only pre-season.  Yes, it's only two games.  Yes, we still need some more players to be fully happy.

But all that aside, has your opinion of our prospects for 2011/2012 changed much over the last few weeks?  A load of players were released, McLeish became our manager, Ash and Downing were sold - all of these things created a VERY negative atmosphere.  However, since then we've (almost!) signed two very good players, won two pre-season games, seen the players we hope to rehabilitate look like that's more than just a hope and also seen the kids looking promising again.  Plus, the style of football we've played looks far from the negative defense first appraoch we feared.

So, the question isn't 'do you think we'll be top 6?' or anything like that, but how, if at all, has your outlook changed since the darkest days of the summer?  Were you preparing for a relegation battle, but now think mid-table?  Or maybe thought we'd be OK, but have seen worrying signs that make you more nervous than before!   

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Confidence-o-meter
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
Not sure where I fall there John. I don't think my confidence was high, but it wasn't low either. Maybe add - Cautiously confident and getting higher as an option. I think that's where I sit, and it will take a bit more for me to move to higher level than that.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
Not sure where I fall there John. I don't think my confidence was high, but it wasn't low either. Maybe add - Cautiously confident and getting higher as an option. I think that's where I sit, and it will take a bit more for me to move to higher level than that.

I'm in this camp too.

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
Cautiously confident and getting higher...

... would be my feeling too, at the moment.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
I didn't want to put a 'cautiously optomistic', 'wait and see' or other such neutral option in, as it would have been an easy option and had the majority of votes.  I'd rather people jumped one side of the fence or the other and say if their outlook is any brighter or not.

Offline Merv

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »
I've re-assessed my expectations since May, which I find helps. Now I'm not anticipating a push for top six, or an influx of the mass quality of player I think we need to get back to top six material, and I think we'll be good for mid-table, or top half. I think McLeish is being realistic when he says the target is 9th or an improvement on that. Not trying to mislead anyone, or build up false hope. I like that. Contrasts well with the General's apparent insistence that top four is our target.

I've been encouraged by the reports that some of the more unsettled members of the squad seem determined to go for it, and Warnock looked very committed in the game today. And, the two (almost) signings so far have been good. The other positive, I think, is that - barring anything unforeseen - our pre-season will be much improved on last year, with a solid squad, preparing properly, no dramatic events to unseat us.

So, yes. More positive than mid June, without expecting too much this season. But if we can make steady progress, perhaps get to January in a reasonable position and maybe kick on with another key signing, we could have a decent season.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:25 PM »
Quietly confident - as a minimum we must be aiming to beat last year's finish then build on from there. 

The defence will hopefully be a much stronger platform for us next term, and our team spirit and bond will be that extra bit tighter.  If we stay injury free and our young lads step up I think we will really surprise the Premier League next season.  Having so many young lads making the step up together adds to my interest and excitement - how I'd love to see this team take the League by storm.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
I didn't want to put a 'cautiously optomistic', 'wait and see' or other such neutral option in, as it would have been an easy option and had the majority of votes.  I'd rather people jumped one side of the fence or the other and say if their outlook is any brighter or not.

In that case, my outlook is no brighter as I wasn't dissatisfied with McLeish's arrival and I've always felt we had a decent squad if all the players were utilised and managed effectively. I'm confident we will have a better season than last, and finish a couple of places higher up the league than we did last season.

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:48:56 PM »

Fair enough, I'll go for the fourth option then. Although my confidence has not gone down since Mr. Bent arrived.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
If we can use a scale of 1-10, then I'm about at a 5.  I think he'll be better than Houllier in that he'll organise the defence and not piss off 50% of the squad like the useless Frenchman, but I'm not expecting anything other than dull football and a mid-table finish.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:02:10 PM »
Like last season, I think it's going to be a very tight league again with surprises all over the place and some of the "bigger teams" struggling perhaps.  The defence sounds in better shape than last season though, so put me down as a 7.

Offline Simba

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:12:17 PM »
I just like the fact that:

Unlike GH who said he would sort the defence out "in the Summer" AMc has done it overnight.
Players who were dormant are now in position - Back four and playing hard and with confidence,
The kids are now treated as professionals and get stick from the old hands.
Based on two games only- every player seems to know his job and keeps it simple.
Two good (almost) signings.
We keep the ball with two minutes to go when on top.
Players who were negative last season, particularly Collins and Dunny are smiling again.

I dunno. There appears to be a very disciplined approach and the players seem to welcome it. After all the faffing around I certainly do.

Confidence was low but rising as reflected in the players performances.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
I'm more optimistic after seeing the game today as I think he'll have the defence sorted out. If we're tight at the back then we have players who can hurt any side.

Offline citizenDJ

• GM : 28.05.2020
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
GH who said he would sort the defence out "in the Summer" AMc has done it overnight

I suspect Houllier was planning to sort the defense out by replacing it entirely, to be honest.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
Way, way, way too early to tell. We could beat Fulham 3-0 first game in which case watch the temperature gauge rise rapidly on here. If we lose by the same score, the place will go apoplectic. Twas ever thus and ever will be!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal