collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by RamboandBruno
[Today at 08:13:06 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 08:11:19 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 08:06:29 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Godfrey Brian
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by algy
[Today at 08:01:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:50:27 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Villan For Life
[Today at 07:45:50 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Gareth
[Today at 07:44:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shay Given on Steven Ireland (Goal.com)  (Read 7773 times)

Offline sonlyme

Re: Shay Given on Steven Ireland (Goal.com)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 02:25:32 PM »
Here's a link to a fuller version of the IV

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/07/25/aston-villa-shay-given-determined-to-make-stephen-ireland-a-star-at-villa-park-97319-29114440/

Given's personality shines through far more.  He could be the missing link that eradicate's Villa's fragile psychology of last season.  He is the senior pro in that dressing room now - he is one of the top keepers in premiership history and is very highly regarded - and he has history both with Dunne and Ireland (who could both do with a kick up the arris after last season's antics).

Also - take a gander at the official AVFC website and you'll see galleries of the squad training on the HK trip.   Check out how the players are looking.  Even Dunne looks lean and mean and athletic - and given his weakness for a pie and pint - I'll take that as an encouraging sign.

'Shay don't take no shit' is my new t-shirt idea - and that could be all the better for Villa.

UTV

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »
Think Shay Given will be a massive influence in the changing room. Mainly with Ireland and Dunne. He will keep Dunne on his toes through 90 mins + as he was switching off at times last season. Ireland will be motivated by the belief Given, Dunne and Mcleish will install in him off the pitch ...........

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
Good point about how lean and mean the players are looking.
They all look like they could tear the ears off a Gundar.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
Dunne is saying some good things in today's Mail and gives some good explanation for our bad defending last season from set pieces.....man marking or zonal marking? it appears he was as clueless as the rest of us as to what they should be doing.  I think we will see an improvement with AM's influence in this area in the coming season.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 03:55:34 PM »
Richard Dunne looks like he's lost an entire Richard Dunne.

Offline IRISHPHIL

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:38 PM »
has anyone seen peice about him on ssn

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 05:00:06 PM »
has anyone seen peice about him on ssn

Who, Dunne, Given or Ireland?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
Thinking of coming over to Canada again next year mate, so it'd be my pleasure to buy you one.

Risso, the pleasure would be all mine. PM me as soon as you have an idea of your plans.

Risso and Toronto sitting in a tree...

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »

Matter meets Anti-matter. Duck and cover!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
Whilst I wasn't entirely surprised that the Stephen Ireland deal didn't work out last year (and it clearly didn't)  I was surprised at the reports about him being a bad trainer and negative influence though.

I'm not saying those reports were wrong, BTW.  But I had seen it mentioned by Bellamy and others that Ireland trained like a demon at Citeh. He even undertook a strength and conditioning programme in his downtime before the 08/09 season. It obviously worked, as he had a good campaign that year.

It's hard to know who carries the burden of blame for some of the goings on last year. I think ultimately, the player does. Even if he had misgivings about the manager, his own standards and personal pride should ensure that he does all he can to get in the team and make an impact. But Ireland did seem to say that Houllier wouldn't play him no matter what, and some of GH's comments last year were less than helpful.

I can understand -to a degree- that Ireland felt railroaded into the move last year and might have been unsettled initially, leaving the club who he'd been with all his career -just when they look like they're on the up.  A manager with GH's sometimes caustic approach was probably the last thing he needed too.  But ultimately, only he can turn things around now from this point onwards, whether he wants to make a genuine go of things here or get a good move elsewhere. If he makes a balls of it again, his next move will be to a Bolton, Wigan or Championship side.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 07:19:43 PM »
Thinking of coming over to Canada again next year mate, so it'd be my pleasure to buy you one.

Risso, the pleasure would be all mine. PM me as soon as you have an idea of your plans.

Chris, I'll hold your hand too as we nail pints whilst chewing the Villa fat!! Though I might need to duck if Risso decides to throw a chair at you during the course of the evening.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 08:18:01 PM »
Good article for morale but Given was hardly likely to say:

"Fuck me he was a right mentalist and was more bothered about his patio"

The bit about going back to the player he was 3 years ago is what I find most worrying. A little bit like Warnock being a new player

Why is that bit worrying? It's what we're all hoping isn't it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal