collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shay Given on Steven Ireland (Goal.com)  (Read 7782 times)

Offline tom jennings IV

Shay Given on Steven Ireland (Goal.com)
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:48:48 AM »
Shay Given keen for his Aston Villa team-mate Stephen Ireland to be given another chance to impress
After being reunited with his former Manchester City and Irish team-mate, the shot-stopper is hoping a new manager will see a turnaround in the midfielder's fortunes
25 Jul 2011 19:41:00  By Shane Farrington
 1 Comments More On : Aston Villa, Alex McLeish, Shay Given, Stephen Ireland New Aston Villa arrival Shay Given is hoping that Stephen Ireland will be given an opportunity to impress under Alex McLeish after enduring a difficult campaign last season.

The pair played together at Manchester City before Ireland moved to Villa Park last summer and Given is hoping that fans will finally see the midfielder shine.

"When I joined Manchester City Stephen Ireland was the first name on the sheet," Given told the Birmingham Mail.

"He's a fantastic player, and one of the top midfielders in the country when he is on song. Hopefully myself and the new manager can get the best out of him.

"It's like a new signing because for whatever reason he didn't feature at all last season. It has got to come from him as well, but the player that I've seen at Man City and that I've seen again in training at Villa is a top midfielder."

Given also claimed that his former international colleague was the best trainer during their time together at Manchester City.

He added: "You read different things about him, but all I can talk about is his football and he's a fantastic footballer. If we can get the best out of him we have a real top player on our hands.

"At Man City he was one of the best trainers, he puts a real shift in when he's working.

“In the ProZone stats he was miles ahead of everyone in the distance covered and things like that, and he puts a shift in on matchday as well. I don't know what the problem was last season.

"When Villa signed him I thought they'd got a top player, and hopefully we will see that this season."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/25/2590497/shay-given-keen-for-his-aston-villa-team-mate-stephen-ireland-to-

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Shay Given on Steven Ireland (Goal.com)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
Well, I live in hope.  Ireland was one of the best players in the league 3 years ago, and if he can get back to even 80% of that level consistently we'll have a cracking player on our hands. 

Offline K3Villa

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
I like the way he says "hopefully myself and the new manager can get the best out of him". I always feel he's the type of player who needs someone who can put the time into boosting his confidence on a regular basis. Hopefully Shay is the man.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
It all fits into what we believe AM's mandate to be - get the best out of what we have. 

I suppose the question/hope is that if he tries and it just ain't happening, Randy will still back him in the transfer market as he did MON and Gezza.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:38:48 AM »
Well, I live in hope. 

Oh? Have you moved?

;)

Offline Risso

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
Well, I live in hope. 

Oh? Have you moved?

;)

Yes, my new address is

Dun Moanin'
1 Smith Street
Toronto

;)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
Well, I live in hope. 

Oh? Have you moved?

;)

Yes, my new address is

Dun Moanin'
1 Smith Street
Toronto

;)

I'll be happy to invite you over for beers any time Risso :)

Offline Risso

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:45 AM »
Thinking of coming over to Canada again next year mate, so it'd be my pleasure to buy you one.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »
Pravda article

By Dan Harrison

Shay Given has backed Stephen Ireland to kickstart his Villa career and insists he can become "one of the top midfielders in the country".

Villa's new goalkeeper is confident Ireland can reproduce the form he showed in 2008-09 when he scooped the Player of the Year award at former club Manchester City.

Having played alongside the 24-year-old at Eastlands and for the Republic of Ireland, Given knows better than most the quality Ireland possesses.

And he believes his compatriot's return to the fold after a season on the periphery is like having a new signing in the claret and blue camp.

"When I joined Manchester City, Stephen Ireland was the first name on the sheet," said Given.

"He's a fantastic player and one of the top midfielders in the country when he is on song.

"Hopefully myself and the new manager can get the best out of him.

"It's like a new signing because for whatever reason he didn't feature at all last season.

"It has got to come from him as well but the player I've seen at Man City and that I have seen again here so far, he's a top, top midfielder."

Given says the frustration Ireland endured last term could work to Villa's advantage because he will be "champing at the bit" to prove himself as a top player.

"He'll be wanting to do well because of last season when he didn't feature as much as he'd want and he'll be champing at the bit to get into the season and to show people he's a top player," Given added.

"The Villa fans haven't seen that. We'll encourage him as much as we can but Stephen has got to do his bit as well and I'm sure he will.

"At Man City he was one of the best trainers. He puts a real shift in when he's working.

"In the ProZone stats he was miles ahead of everyone in the distance covered and things like that, and he puts a shift in on matchday as well.

"When Villa signed him I thought they'd got a real top player, and hopefully we will see that this season."

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Thinking of coming over to Canada again next year mate, so it'd be my pleasure to buy you one.

Risso, the pleasure would be all mine. PM me as soon as you have an idea of your plans.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
If he can get back to playing how we know he can then I think he will be a top player for us.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »
if we get Ireland on form, we will be playing through the middle instead of out wide with Stuart and Ashley.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
He's most certainly an arm-around-the-shoulder, rather than give-him-a-bollocking type of character. I'd say this was the mistake GH made with him. Very early days, and I'm certainly far from convinced, but it would be great if he could turn his villa career (if you could call it that so far) around.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
He's most certainly an arm-around-the-shoulder, rather than give-him-a-bollocking type of character.

Fully agree and the irony is that MON is more that type of manager, so you could imagine him getting so much more out of Ireland than Houllier ever did.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »
Good article for morale but Given was hardly likely to say:

"Fuck me he was a right mentalist and was more bothered about his patio"

The bit about going back to the player he was 3 years ago is what I find most worrying. A little bit like Warnock being a new player
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:47:49 PM by UsualSuspect »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal