collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FA Cup competition being diminished - again !  (Read 5585 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
FA Cup competition being diminished - again !
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »
Yes we had this last year.
I have just been referring to the Wiki pages to put down all the dates for the rounds of the Carling Cup and FA cup in my diary.
I find that the FA Cup Final will be staged on Saturday 5th May 2012. We play Spurs at home then and there are no doubt a full set of league fixtures scheduled on what again is the penultimate weekend of the league season. No doubt all or most league games will change to Sunday but yet again the FA Cup final will not be played at the very end of the season with the weekend to itself.
Last seasons excuse was the Champions league final at Wembley...What is it this time ?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: FA Cup competition being diminished - again !
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »
The problem is Uefa moving the champions league to a saturday and the insistance that there's a 3 week break between said final and the start of euro 2012.

It's a shame but could've been solved by starting the premier league a week earlier?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:12 PM »
And the Champions League final is back at Wembley the year after, so it'll happen again... and then in 2014 it'll be the World Cup.
We'd better get used to it.

No chance of the greedy Premier League clubs ever voting to reduce their number to 18, which would be my answer.

Offline villa_oldie

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 03:31:09 PM »
And the Champions League final is back at Wembley the year after, so it'll happen again... and then in 2014 it'll be the World Cup.

No chance of the greedy Premier League clubs ever voting to reduce their number to 18, which would be my answer.

Oh, so you want to pander to FIFA and UEFA and all the other anti club football morons and reduce the Premier League to 18 clubs..
Good, so thats another 2 games a year we'll lose. Or maybe you want to go to 16 clubs?? Then we'll have a league as strong as Portugal...

But at least it'll give our England boys an extra 2 weeks prep time for a competition we still won't posses the quality to win, dispite the media hype about how great Theo Walcott is...

Offline russon

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:32:35 PM »
this mob ensured the FA Cup will never be diminished in my eyes...

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/alty1.htm

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:38:16 PM »

Why would any business, in any field anywhere in the world vote for less income?

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »
this mob ensured the FA Cup will never be diminished in my eyes...

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/alty1.htm

And to a lesser degree, Kiddey, Woking, Sutton and Chorley.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:09:52 PM »
I wish they would leave the FA cup alone.

Offline cdward

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »

Why would any business, in any field anywhere in the world vote for less income?
Now this is the kind of thinking we need to aspire to as football fans. Once you start thinking this way about football it all makes sense. Try it, it's great.
Aston Villa Business Club, generating income for others since 1874.
PL, Premier League? no Profit and Loss.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:38 AM »

They don't make much money out of showing Wigan v Bolton on telly.  Much better to concentrate your marketing efforts on the Sky 4 (or is it 6 now?), not to mention the share of the pot getting bigger for the Sky 6 (or is it 4) when there are less shit clubs to share it with.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:17:16 AM »

Now this is the kind of thinking we need to aspire to as football fans. Once you start thinking this way about football it all makes sense. Try it, it's great.

Are players going to ask for less money if they play 34 games instead of 38? Remind me how much money we made last season, and then drop another, say £5million or so off the income from 4 less games and see how we fare. We want Randy to spend money, but apparently, some want us to have lower income as well.
I really don't remember wages dropping when we went from 22 clubs to 20.

"They" may not make much from Wigan v Bolton, but Wigan and Bolton do. So my question remains, who is going to vote for reduced income?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »

Are players going to ask for less money if they play 34 games instead of 38? Remind me how much money we made last season, and then drop another, say £5million or so off the income from 4 less games and see how we fare. We want Randy to spend money, but apparently, some want us to have lower income as well.
I really don't remember wages dropping when we went from 22 clubs to 20.

"They" may not make much from Wigan v Bolton, but Wigan and Bolton do. So my question remains, who is going to vote for reduced income?

You asked why any business would vote for less income.  What I'm saying is that the larger clubs and the TV companies would quite happily vote for less clubs in the PL as it wouldn't mean less income for them.  At the moment there are probably enough shit clubs to outvote it but it's not as black and white as you see it and your logic is flawed.

Why do you think the FA Cup isn't given as much priority anymore - it's mainly because it's less likely to offer up matches between the big clubs that TV companies can screen, get excited about and charge lots of money for.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »
And it's now sponsored by Budweiser, ugh.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »
Headache in a bottle

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 10:28:44 AM »
Headache in a bottle

Can we send the FA a message in a bottle?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal