collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: BENT - 'I'm happy at Villa'  (Read 7113 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
BENT - 'I'm happy at Villa'
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:24:01 PM »
sportinglife.com

Darren Bent insists he has no intention of being the next high-profile departure from Aston Villa this summer.

The England international was drafted in by Villa last season to provide a cutting edge up front and help steer the club clear of relegation trouble.

He repaid their faith with interest, with nine goals in 16 games suggesting he was worth every penny of his £24million transfer fee.

That success was achieved with international colleagues Stewart Downing and Ashley Young providing the ammunition from the flanks.

Villa will be forced to adopt a different approach in 2011/12, though, as Downing has joined Liverpool and Young has moved on to Manchester United.

Bent said: "Obviously what Stewy and Ash did was for their careers - Manchester United and Liverpool are two of the biggest clubs in the world, so they've got their reasons for doing it.

"But me, I'm more than happy to be here and play for Aston Villa. It's a terrific football club.

"I'd like to be here for the long haul. I want to build on that and hopefully this season will be as successful as last."

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: BENT - 'I'm happy at Villa'
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
He says that now........;-)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
Well I hope that's true Darren.

Offline Beijing Villan

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:43:19 PM »
A prolific goal scoring striker who is largely dependant on ball supplied from the wings sees the two pre-eminent wingers at the club sold during the summer. Does he :

a)  make petulant noises and threaten to demand a transfer ?
b)  say nothing and sulk ?
c)  surprisingly make positive comments about the club and declare that he likes the club and wants to be here long term ?

Most or at least a majority of modern footballers select the first two options. But Darren Bent strikes me as a much more mature and realistic individual than his counterparts. He actually has some pride and passion and defends the club. Good on him say I.

And what is his reward ? Petulant comments from poster #2. Save your snarky comments for Downing and his ilk, not for a guy who came in scored nine goals in sixteen games, kept us up and has never once criticised the club.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:31 PM »
It's hardly suprising that people are sceptical especially due to recent events.However I actually think and hope Darren is a good egg.Providing he's the main man,can score goals and keeps his England place he'll be happy.Fingers crossed

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:55:52 PM »
It is a real shame that we haven't hung on to Young and Downing. The first time we have had a 20 goal a season striker for thirty years at the same time as we look really light creatively unless Ireland turns things around.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
And what is his reward ? Petulant comments from poster #2. Save your snarky comments for Downing and his ilk, not for a guy who came in scored nine goals in sixteen games, kept us up and has never once criticised the club.

From The Guardian last October

"Sunderland are a massive club with a passionate following and they were promising regular football. I didn't have too much to think about.

"I'm playing football regularly again, the goals are going in for me again, and the people round here are really appreciative.

"It's everything I wanted, really, and I think getting a regular game gets me noticed when internationals come around.

"When you are at a club and you are not playing all the time it is not ideal as I have said before, but that's all behind me now. I've come to a club that wants to play me AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER."

From espn.co.uk last December

Darren Bent has revealed he would welcome the offer of a new Sunderland contract.

The England striker arrived at the Stadium of Light in August 2009, and has scored 34 goals in 53 appearances for the Black Cats. Bent already has a four-year deal at the club, but would be happy to commit himself beyond 2013.

"I can't believe how well it's gone," Bent told the News of the World. "If the offer of an extension came up I'd be more than happy to sign it.

"It's all about the football up here. It's all passion, passion, passion, but the supporters' intensity has never scared me. They are looking at me to get the goals and that is a massive confidence booster."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:01:30 PM by Rip Van Bentfletch »

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
All players should do their "talking" on the pitch!

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
It is a real shame that we haven't hung on to Young and Downing. The first time we have had a 20 goal a season striker for thirty years at the same time as we look really light creatively unless Ireland turns things around.

Someone on another forum described the Villa as being like a clowns car you keep building it but bits keep falling off and you never get anywhere.An excellent analogy I thought

Offline VillaAlways

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 01:06:50 PM »

From The Guardian last October

"Sunderland are a massive club with a passionate following and they were promising regular football. I didn't have too much to think about.

"I'm playing football regularly again, the goals are going in for me again, and the people round here are really appreciative.

"It's everything I wanted, really, and I think getting a regular game gets me noticed when internationals come around.

"When you are at a club and you are not playing all the time it is not ideal as I have said before, but that's all behind me now. I've come to a club that wants to play me AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER."

From espn.co.uk last December

Darren Bent has revealed he would welcome the offer of a new Sunderland contract.

The England striker arrived at the Stadium of Light in August 2009, and has scored 34 goals in 53 appearances for the Black Cats. Bent already has a four-year deal at the club, but would be happy to commit himself beyond 2013.

"I can't believe how well it's gone," Bent told the News of the World. "If the offer of an extension came up I'd be more than happy to sign it.

"It's all about the football up here. It's all passion, passion, passion, but the supporters' intensity has never scared me. They are looking at me to get the goals and that is a massive confidence booster."

Did they offer him the contract extension do you know ?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 01:10:35 PM »

Someone on another forum described the Villa as being like a clowns car you keep building it but bits keep falling off and you never get anywhere.An excellent analogy I thought

I guess it's like any club that has limited funds and is outside the CL.  Your best players get pinched by the CL sides and you re-invest, only to see the same thing happen again.  Without CL football you struggle to a) keep them and b) afford to keep them.

Offline CheeriOneill

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »

Did he tell them or did they overhear him say that?

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 01:28:27 PM »

"I'd like to be here for the long haul. I want to build on that and hopefully this season will be as successful as last."

I hope it's much better - I don't think I could go through that again.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:30:21 PM »
I don't take any notice of these stories.Whilst bent is a Villa player and he's doing well he'll be idolised and that's all that matters.It's just a  job for him.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »
With the best will in the world, I remember downing saying very similar in a web chat about 6weeks ago. I thought he meant it. If man u or chelsea offer 25mil and 150g a week for him next close season do you think he will make the same noise? I doubt it. But then again, nor would I so no blame needed. That's football i guess

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal