collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fabian Delph's season coming up, oh no, not another injury.  (Read 37493 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

This is THE big one for Delphy.

He's 21, so should be able to step up now and really compete in the Petrov area.

Face it, he's not going to last a whole season again.....

If we aren't signing a new, experienced  midfielder like Parker, I think he'll get a damn good run and hopefully more than justify the reported £6 mill he cost.

Delphy, take the task on, show us your Yorkshire grit ( not too much of it mind!).

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:11:05 PM by TimTheVillain »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Fabian Delph's season coming up
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 02:33:09 PM »
If he stays fit he'll be a massive asset. He hasn't played enough for anyone to make a proper judgement on how good he is or could be. We've seen flashes, but we've also seen some errors that one has to expect from a player as young as he is. He's got a lot of raw talent. I think we'd all like to see him and some of the other young kids start to impose themselves a little more.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 02:43:55 PM »
Seems very lightweight, needs to bulk up a little bit. Should be a valuable asset, box-to-box, better going forward than Reo-Coker was. Although, that wasn't difficult.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

I think its a big season for most of the "kids" this season.Albrighton, Delph, Clark, Delfunso, Licjah, Hogg, Herd, all need to be assessed this season, and either be 1st teamers by the end of the season, or moved on.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
It's going to have to be.

Offline pedro25

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
Yer for me he has to replace Reo Coker in the box to box role and Makoun steps into the Petrov role, deep lying sitting role, keeping the play ticking over.  Bannan and Ireland for me are skillful and lightweight and should battle for the 3rd (attacking) slot in the middle, presuming we play a 3, or for a narrow wide role in a 4 (at least as a rotation option with Albrighton and the new wide man).  If Makoun and Delph don't step up Petrov is on standby, but otherwise we only have Herd, Hogg and Gardner to fall back on.  The fact that Makoun cost us £6mill and Delph, Ireland and Petrov £8mill each we should really be giving them a chance (at least till Jan) to prove their worth, if they don't step up they should be replaced, but sell first then buy replacements as numbers wise we are well stocked.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:59:15 PM »
lots of young players are going to have to step up to the plate, and tbh, i think they did last year...

it was the fringe and first teamers that let them down on most occasions...

hopefully, that wont happen again, and the kids can do themselves proud again, and the first teamers and fringe players, can support them properly...

Offline nigel

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
Plenty of the young guns were 'bloodied in' last season, so it shouldn't be a huge shock to them.
In fairness, I don't think they struggled too much last season. Only Nathan Baker vrs Wolves springs to mind, but he was playing out of position.
The future could be very bright at Villa Park.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »
This is my major concern. Delph, Bannan, Makoun are all potentially very good players but all realatively untested at this level. If they perform as we hope/expect that we've got some real talent in central midfield. Then we add in Ireland who has shown that he can do it but hasn't for around 2 years. If those 4 produce then we'll be fine but there are no guarantees.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
This is my major concern. Delph, Bannan, Makoun are all potentially very good players but all realatively untested at this level. If they perform as we hope/expect that we've got some real talent in central midfield. Then we add in Ireland who has shown that he can do it but hasn't for around 2 years. If those 4 produce then we'll be fine but there are no guarantees.
It's a huge risk going into the season without adding a new, experienced central midfield player.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 03:48:48 PM »
As the squad stands, presuming N'Zogbia does join, then central midfield is a big potential weakness for us.  So as someone said this season is big for Delph and us as we NEED him to produce.

I'd still feel securer with him alongside someone like Parker.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
The thing is if we get the likes of Delph having a break through year, Ireland getting his head right and rediscovering his form, Dunne in the form of his first season and Warnock playing like he was pre Carling cup final, together with the youngsters stepping up. Then all will be rosy in the garden next year.

Sadly I can't see many of those thinsg happening

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
The thing is if we get the likes of Delph having a break through year, Ireland getting his head right and rediscovering his form, Dunne in the form of his first season and Warnock playing like he was pre Carling cup final, together with the youngsters stepping up. Then all will be rosy in the garden next year.

Sadly I can't see many of those thinsg happening
Nor me.
And to have a chance of a top 6 placing, we'd need the perfect storm of all those things happening.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
Delph will have a big season I can feel it in my water he has the potential to be a top top player he just needs to stay clear of injuries and play more then it's all systems go.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
Needs to learn to rein in/channel his aggression too otherwise he'll spend half the season suspended. Definitely a good player in there somewhere though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal