collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Falling out with Football  (Read 14433 times)

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Falling out with Football
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »
I'm 19 and bored with football! 3 or 4 years ago a signing like Given would have my pulse racing, now I'm feeling meh, and its not just that, the only games I really got excited about last season were Olbeyun and Blose, other than that I don't get as excited like I used to. All my money now goes to saving for my own car, going out with mates and on dates, I can't afford a st and I'm not really that bothered!
 The only thing I'm missing right now is something to shove on TV when I'm bored and the social side to Villa
Don't get me wrong I still want us to win every game and get dissapointed when we lose, but not so long back it would ruin my whole weekend
A lot of people say there losing touch because of the money and the amount of coverage it gets, I've never really known any different! Am I simply growing up? Or are more people my age going the same way?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Falling out with Football
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:11 PM »
When I was 19 I thought we were going to win the league under SGT, so I was quite excited.

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »
It's not just people your age. I've given up my ST this year after 18 years. The players repulse me. I don't begrudge highly talented sportspeople from earning millions. But arrogant, lazy, mediocre, thick as pig shit twats simply don't deserve it. I just can't be bothered spending my time and money funding their excesses.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 09:43:35 PM »
I started to feel what you are feeling in the late 90s, when for me football really did start to stop being the game I fell in love in as a nipper in the mid 70s. I still love Villa but football as a whole, meh. For example, I haven't had Sky for a year now and don't miss live games at all, apart from Villa aways.

Offline richl

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »
Gave up 2 years ago, Cos of O'neill. The lads take the piss in the pub but if thats it i can cope

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
Alex its worse if you are old enough to remember what it was like to start a season with real optimism, what it was like when on many an occaision Villa Park was the best place to be in the whole world. When the footballing heros were real blokes who were proud to walk onto the pitch wearing the shirt, when you could not wait for the next game. When the anticipation of waiting for your team to come out on to the pitch was heart pumping adrenalin.

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
Hawkeye, the sad thing is all of that (except the real men comments!) Was me. Every weekend I had my mind on our next game. Every season was a new start.
Now all I think about all week is going out with my mates to a club or something. Villa has taken a back seat for me. Doesn't feel the same more

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:28 PM »
Watching football is second to me, the main reason I go down is to drink with the lads and enjoy a day out.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:34:38 PM »
The big problem is, Villa are family. No matter what they do to you, they're still family. No matter how you pretend you don't care, you know you do.

We'll get it right. We always do.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »
I started to feel what you are feeling in the late 90s, when for me football really did start to stop being the game I fell in love in as a nipper in the mid 70s. I still love Villa but football as a whole, meh. For example, I haven't had Sky for a year now and don't miss live games at all, apart from Villa aways.

Same here, although I've kept Sky for the cricket and rarely watch football.

I'm old enough to remember the golden period of 1980 - 1982. I still have those memories but it saddens me to think that I will never see Aston Villa achieve that level of success again.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:26:03 PM »
I seem to prefer watching American football than football these days. I think Villa will be successful again, but it won't be for another decade.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »
I've felt the same for a long time, Still try to watch Villa as much as possible and I like watching Barca on a boring saturday or sunday evening but that's it.  Generally Cricket and Rugby get much more attention, I can genuinely enjoy watching those regarldess of who's playing, in football watching the over-rated, overpaid knobs that play for most sides in the prem just sickens me, earn more in a week than the national average annual wage and can't even be arsed to put a shift in.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:05 AM »
I will never fall out of love with football I'm in my forties and I'm still in love with it now as I was when I first got interested in football.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 05:16:30 AM »
I will never fall out of love with football I'm in my forties and I'm still in love with it now as I was when I first got interested in football.

That applies to me as well.........I am soo bored during June, July when there are no games

Offline KRS

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:21:03 AM »
The players repulse me. I don't begrudge highly talented sportspeople from earning millions. But arrogant, lazy, mediocre, thick as pig shit twats simply don't deserve it. I just can't be bothered spending my time and money funding their excesses.
This. I used to have a ST and travel away, but I've started to pick and choose my games over the last few seasons. There are unavoidable financial implications for attending, but if I'm not at the game, I'm either glued to the TV, radio or internet and still living every kick. I still consider myself to be a dedicated fan and supporter, but I simply cant justify spending so much money anymore subsidising the wages of these ridiculously overpaid footballers. Makes me feel sick that some of them earn as much in a week that the average man would in 4 years.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:22:45 AM by KRS »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal