collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Hot from the Press  (Read 9850 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Namlod

Re: Hot from the Press
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:47 AM »
Good article. We'll all have to see what goodies you get to write about next week (hopefully)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
I would'nt say Citeh have become a selling club just because Tevez is on his way. I believe there are completely different circumstances to why he's on his bike.

I agree Carlos is a strange one. As you pointed out Dave, 4 and a bit managers cant all be wrong.

Good read that.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »
Good article Dave I agree with it.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
Great piece that Mr Woodhall, you should think of taking up writing books or something :)

Cheers mate !!!

Offline Jimmy Rimmer

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 12:48:29 PM »
good points, well made

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
Great article, cheers Dave.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:29:56 PM »
I would'nt say Citeh have become a selling club just because Tevez is on his way. I believe there are completely different circumstances to why he's on his bike.

Quite.  Tevez is adamant that he wants to move home to be closer to his family, it isn't like City are selling one of their best players for the 4th time in two years because a bigger club have come along.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »

Quite.  Tevez is adamant that he wants to move home to be closer to his family, it isn't like City are selling one of their best players for the 4th time in two years because a bigger club have come along.

As Dave says they're higher up the food chain on account of being the richest club in the world but even they have to sell when a player wants to leave.

The key line is "you sign players from clubs below you then they go to clubs above. The trick is to be able to pick them up cheaply and know when to sell them, then invest the profits wisely."

Last year we invested wisely by buying Darren Bent, I'm hoping/expecting that we do the same again.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:44:01 PM »
The other part of it is to continually move up the food chain. Our recent losses simply indicate where we are in football's hierarchy. Hopefully as things improve we'll be able to retain our better players for longer, but whether we like it or not, as long as there is a bigger predator in the jungle we are likely to be a victim at some point.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
I admire you for your optamism ;)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
I admire you for your optamism ;)

disappointing reality I'm afraid for us and the vast majority of football clubs everywhere. Man City are top of the money food chain, but even they simply can't get whoever they want because players simply don't respect their standing in the game. If it was just about money they would have signed the very best already and they haven't. Man U have far more pull, yet even they lost their best player to Real Madrid. They just sold him when the offer was too great.

The further down the food chain you go, clubs getting offered £20m for Downing, £50m for Torres or £35m for Carroll simply can't say no forever because it doesn't make financial sense to do so. The challenge is as it always has been, what do you do next? The secret is to find numerous £5m players and turn them into a team full of £10-£15m players and win a few things along the way to disuade them from leaving. Much easier said than done.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 04:16:21 PM »
Other similarly sized clubs seem to be more successful in hanging on to their better players, and also replace them more easily when they do sell.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
Other similarly sized clubs seem to be more successful in hanging on to their better players, and also replace them more easily when they do sell.

Agree

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
It could be argued that the Barry money funded the Milner money,which funded the Bent money.

MON couldn't sell his mistakes which has drowned the club in wage costs, his big margin buy and sell on for profit have been negated by this, so he couldn't move the club on funded by positive transfer revenue and RL's cash. And then he left the mess for someone else to sort out. Anyone wonder why he's still out of work ?

Onwards and upwards...I think we will still be a net spender this window and the process will continue. Hopefully AM will wheel and deal even better than MON and we will move forward again.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal