collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our centre back situation  (Read 14826 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Our centre back situation
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
Given the size of the squad at the moment, I think we'd have no choice but to use Beye amongst the subs somewhere.  McLeish should be making the guy actually do some work for his money!!  Not that I rate him at all but the facts are that the squad looks thin, although, arguably slightly better in terms of defensive numbers. 

Offline gervilla

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 10:33:19 PM »
If Clark picks up bookings at the rate he did last season , he'll be sitting out a few games.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
If Clark picks up bookings at the rate he did last season , he'll be sitting out a few games.

Classic example of lack of maturity in his game.....he'll learn not to get involved, chuck him in at the deep end and he'll end up getting crocked.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
Scott Dann for me please

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
If the Goalkeeper is sorted the next priority must be the defence. Young is Ok but getting on a bit and will get injuries Dunne and Collins are not good enough, we have no recognised left back unless you include Warnock who is a liability. I dont expect a new back 4 but we need two decent defenders at least.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
We need to sign one.

A bloody good one at that.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
If the Goalkeeper is sorted the next priority must be the defence. Young is Ok but getting on a bit and will get injuries Dunne and Collins are not good enough, we have no recognised left back unless you include Warnock who is a liability. I dont expect a new back 4 but we need two decent defenders at least.

I think the 2 signing this week will be

Given and Hutton.

We need then to look to bring in a quality Central Defender, for me we are then set up at the back, we look at Dunne or Collins or Clark, Young has always put in a good shift at LB if Warnock doesn't fit.

So new inclusions at the back, good quality CD and Hutton and Given, that's sound for me, I would expect Hutton to be a better player under AM than he is for Redknapp, that's my guess.

We need then to do something by the end of the week both in midfield and wide.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:42 PM »
I'd like to think that we can get the majority of the business done before Villa fly off to play in the tournament. Given is a done deal apparently.  Hopefully, we'll have three or four other deals lined up and ready to complete.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 11:27:52 PM »
Think Villa fans should give Dunne and Collins a chance to get back to the form they showed as a partnership two seasons back. That was the best partnership I can remember at Villa Park and conceded the least amount of goals in about ten years. Cuellar was a help to them with his height at set pieces alright but still Dunne and Collins were excellent that season. I'm worried about both our full back positions not particularly at centre half. Hutton hasn't looked much of a defender with Spurs but maybe McLeish might get more out of him.
I honestly think Given will make a big difference in goal and I'm pretty confident Dunne will be back to his best anyway next season. Collins scares me a bit but reckon he will turn it around too.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 03:33:27 AM »
The one thing that shouldn't be dimissed entirely is that we did have one of the best defences in the PL prior to last season with many of the same players that are at the club today. I know that GH changing the system mid season really didn't help so maybe with a CB as manager the current lot with Given behind them can find their form again. I do agree that one quality CB and a quality full back would only help matters.

Offline KRS

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 04:51:15 AM »
From what I've seen of Hutton, I dont rate him at all...made a massive blunder in a preseason game for Spurs the other day too which only confirms my doubts about him.

If Cuellar goes for the ridiculously low price being quoted then an additional CB is essential...only takes a couple of injuries and we'd be right up shit creek.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:53:03 AM by KRS »

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
We need to sign one.

A bloody good one at that.

This for me.

Dunne and Collins = scary

Clark = a little too lightweight at the moment, reminds me of a young Gary Cahill, massive potential

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 08:08:46 AM »
I would think he will go out and buy at least one centre back hopefully Dann to play alongside Clark would also be my preferred choice of central defenders.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
Dunne & Collins will, in my opinion, be more like they were under MON than they were under GH. If this is to be the case, then I don't think centre-backs is our main priority and we don't have much too worry about.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:12 AM »
I'm expecting Collins and Dunne to thrive under McLeish too and Clark is aplayer Ive been sure will make it as a top player since I first saw him a few years ago now. But I'm yet to be convinced with Baker although he's suprised me to a degree. I do feel there is another spot open with Cuellar leaving and Dann would be ideal.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal