collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:06:25 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Houllier on 5live  (Read 13190 times)

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
Re: Houllier on 5live
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »
I liked him.

And me, a healthy Houllier would have been great for Villa IMO.

He was healthy for most of the season.  Results only improved when he was taken ill.

That's missing the points. You could just as easily argue that results improved after he had had time to change the philosophy at the club. Rightly or wrongly, Houllier's priority was never short-term results.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 05:02:21 PM »
He was a nice enough bloke, and wanted to move the club in the right direction, and started to do so.

Unfortunately, and this may have been down to trying to change too much too fast, but he dropped far too many bollocks over the course of a season.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 05:22:52 PM »

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »
He was a nice enough bloke, and wanted to move the club in the right direction, and started to do so.

Unfortunately, and this may have been down to trying to change too much too fast, but he dropped far too many bollocks over the course of a season.

Agree with this totally

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »

Spot on Paulie!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
He was a gent and a nice guy. I wasn't sure of how he'd do but I think it is one of the great unknowns had he continued how things would have been. It could have been very good indeed.

So could Thatcherism.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »
He was a gent and a nice guy. I wasn't sure of how he'd do but I think it is one of the great unknowns had he continued how things would have been. It could have been very good indeed.

So could Thatcherism.

Not really. Thatcherism had malevolence, self interest and division at its heart. That might have been (and was) very good for some, but it was never going to be good "across the board".

God. What a boring day.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »

So could Thatcherism.

Not really. Thatcherism had malevolence, self interest and division at its heart.

And the difference between that and Houllier's reign?

'Tis boring isn't it? Even Midsomer Murders is crap today.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:03 PM »
Houllier's reign was about football, Thatcher's was about real lives.

*sombre facial expression*

I fell asleep on the sofa and woke up to find a 15 year old episode of Jonathon Creek on the telly. What amazed me most was how, nowadays, even things filmed in the late 1990s look so ancient. That just made me feel old and want to go back to sleep asap.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Right on.

I love Jonathon Creek. Depressing to realise it's 15 years old, granted.

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »
I will have nothing but bad memories of his time in charge. All his fault? Maybe not.....but a lot was.

Signing Darren Bent is the only positive I can look back on. Hopefully, Makoun will prove to be also.

Online ez

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
It was a scarey season under GH. After that home defeat to wolves i was crapping it.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »
Bet we would have a few players on board now if Houllier was in charge. Mcallister mentioned earlier that he had a list completed of who he was going for in the summer and i bet he had a few european starlets lined up ......

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
Bet we would have a few players on board now if Houllier was in charge. Mcallister mentioned earlier that he had a list completed of who he was going for in the summer and i bet he had a few european starlets lined up ......

Bet he didn't.  There was no sign that he had any knowledge of any starlets while he was here, the only decent players he brought in were from the Premier League.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »

Bet he didn't.  There was no sign that he had any knowledge of any starlets while he was here, the only decent players he brought in were from the Premier League.

He only bought two players, one of whom came from that there Europe and is hardly worthy of deeming "not decent".

I think there are plenty of things to have a go at Houllier over, but that sounds a bit like having a pop for the sake of it.

Oh, and there was at least some indication he was looking to that market in the approach for Fofana.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal