collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:32:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:30:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:28:41 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 09:26:55 PM]

Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:23:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rangers Cuellar bid accepted  (Read 41617 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Rangers Cuellar bid accepted
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
The Carlos situation is a weird one. I can't really recall him letting us down when played as a CB and yet MON, GH and now seemingly AM don't rate him there. Maybe that's why they are paid millions to be managers and i'm not, but does anyone know why no one at B6 seems to want to play him at CB?

I really like Carlos, the only Villa player i've ever seen that runs like a girl.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
David Platt ran like a girl.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 02:43:09 PM »
Always rated him. Always liked him.
Carlos, if you ever come back to play against us at VP you will get a cheer from me. Just make sure its not with Glasgow Rangers though.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
I can't believe we'll go into the season with just 2 senior CB's and 2 kids even if one is very promising in Clark. It must mean that they've identified another target to replace Cuellar and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is Dann. Cuellar is a good person, very respectful and a good player. But you have to wonder why 3 consecutive managers, all of whom at some point in their careers have achieved success in the game have decided not to play him as much as we as fans thought he should be played.

It's not like he was first choice so it's unlike the the two most recent departures. I hope that now we go out an get a proven starting CB to add depth and quality to our squad.

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
The best centre half at the club. It's plain stupid to let him go.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »

For me Clark needs to play 20 games next season, at least.I also think Baker looks very promising, and maybe long term could be the ideal partner for Clark.

That means we will have Collins, Dunne , Beye and CC who can al play central defence.Now much as i would like them all to go, i think we have to be realistic that it would not be sensible to do so, and that we need to keep 2, and bring 1 in.So if CC is seen as surplus, then fine by me.

Personally i would get rid of Dunne and Collins 1st, and keep CC.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
He cost us £8m and he's on 55k a week. Rightly or wrongly 4 managers (five if you count Gaz Mac) had him behind Dunne and Collins. He's an average fullback.

I rate him, and I'm disappointed he's gone, but at a time when we're trying to spend more wisely it'd be silly not to sell him now to let him go for nothing next Summer. He's a luxury we don't need when we're not in Europe.

Put it this way, 55k a week for a year is £2.8m and a £2m transfer fee. Is one year of Carlos Cuellar, making about 12 league starts, worth £5m?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:27:38 PM by JJ-AV »

Offline JJ-AV

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2011, 03:26:50 PM »
The best centre half at the club. It's plain stupid to let him go.

But not part of the best partnership.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
I think the reason that Houllier didn't play him more last season was his injury problems. He probably needed surgery before, but Houllier didn't trust Collins/Dunne enough to have Cuellar sidelined for a longer spell.

Offline JJ-AV

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »
Really? There were a couple of times that Clark was brought on ahead of Cuellar when both were on the bench...

There was also Wolves away, Cuellar started, played really well and was dropped in favour of Dunne the week after.

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
I can't recall him having anything worse than an average game for us. Can't say that about Collins or that fat bastard Dunne.

Never managed to put the ball out for a corner when he's 50 yards from goal under no pressure, either.

But not part of the best partnership.

He was hardly given a chance at CB to form a partnership. I assume the managers have had their reasons, but when you consider some of the appalling perfomances our alleged best partnership served up last season,you have to wonder.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:46:42 PM by Apyadg »

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »
This does worry me a little,as were left with two inexperienced youngsters in Clark and Baker,Collins who lacks consistency and Dunne who's past it.

Hopefully someone else is lined up,but as always with Villa,why don't we buy first then sell.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
Really? There were a couple of times that Clark was brought on ahead of Cuellar when both were on the bench...

There was also Wolves away, Cuellar started, played really well and was dropped in favour of Dunne the week after.

Pure guesswork on my part. Not saying that he would have been an automatic first-choice if not injured, but I got the impression that he would have been given more of a chance if there weren't doubts about his fitness.

Offline ricmbut82

• GM : Jan, 2014
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
I for one will be glad to see him go, I can count on one hand the times he played well. O'Neill bought him and never played him, when he did, it was out of position. 
Houllier came in, never played him.
McLeish has come in and decided to sell him.

Doesn't really say much for what Carlos shows on the training ground.

I'm the first to criticize to my mates a player who I think isn't worthy, but I always say I'm happy to be proven wrong as it means he's won me over with amazing, consistent performances.  Cuellar will never do that, at any club.  Everyone is complaining that we are getting rid of all our players, you forget that some of these guys didn't want to know when we wanted to discuss contracts, Reo-coker for example had offers all over Europe. 

We can't make them sign and we shouldn't be held to ransom for unreasonable demands. A clear out will set the record staight, the board said we needed to trim it down. We have done now. Yeah we need to act now, but its July 16th not August 31st.

Offline midnite

• GM : 30.03.2016
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
The staff at villa I've been told are mighty impressed with Clark and his progress. He's going to be a star for us in the very near future. Maybe villa feel cuellar's wages are far too high for what is in effect 4th choice centre back. And we may as well get some money for him while we can.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal