collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We're a selling club  (Read 60183 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: We're a selling club
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »
I think what concerns me most isn't that we are a selling club, by that we have become such a dreadfully run club in the space of a year.

We just seem to flounder around cluelessly.

We are a dreadfully run club - the state of our club finances for a start and 4 managers in the last 12 months tells its own story. Shocking appointment with McLeish, I know we are going on about it too much but it still beggars belief how we paid Bham 3m-4m for Peter Grant, him and some doctor.

With Barry, the end was a bit nasty but I actually wished him the best as he had given the club 10 years plus. Was the right time to sell him too as I felt his best days were behind him which has turned out correct. Milner had a very good 4 or 5 months for us and we simply couldnt turn down that offer, again wouldnt mind seeing him doing well. Ashley Young in particular I hope to see well, our best attacking player since Yorke and went to a top club. Downing I hope is a true and utter failure. I really hope that prick who the club paid wages to when he was injured and crap for 12 months, signed for stupid money when injured and after a crap season with Boro etc. He was decent for us no more, gets back in England squad and hands in a transfer request. Really hope he is a disaster for them. Think Liverpool have made some really crap signings considering the money available, MON esque. Hope they fail and fail badly.

Still though a midfield of:

Reo Coker,
Milner, Barry,
Young,-------Downing

could have been really good imo. these things happen. Lets try and move on.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »
I think I'm right in saying that each of our Players Of The Season for the last 3 years have promptly buggered off within weeks (Barry, Milner and Downing). Crewe and Wigan might feel comfortable being a feeder club but this is Aston Villa and it makes me boke having us used as a stepping stone to bigger things. We're a selling club and no mistake, unless the season's going pear shaped and we splash out zillions for someone to rescue it (Bent), we don't seem interested in persuading proper talent to come to the club yet happily wave ta ta to our best ones. All we need to do now is flog Bent off, then we'll have an entire squad of B listers, C listers, fruitcakes, fatties and froth.

Disgusted of Aldridge.

Well said Alex.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
I think I'm right in saying that each of our Players Of The Season for the last 3 years have promptly buggered off within weeks (Barry, Milner and Downing). Crewe and Wigan might feel comfortable being a feeder club but this is Aston Villa and it makes me boke having us used as a stepping stone to bigger things. We're a selling club and no mistake, unless the season's going pear shaped and we splash out zillions for someone to rescue it (Bent), we don't seem interested in persuading proper talent to come to the club yet happily wave ta ta to our best ones. All we need to do now is flog Bent off, then we'll have an entire squad of B listers, C listers, fruitcakes, fatties and froth.

Disgusted of Aldridge.

Well said Alex.

Agree.

Should be put on the moribund General's thread.

Offline Iago

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
I think we've become a very average, faceless club.
Since I have supported this club that is all we have been.

Offline lardboy

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:51 AM »
The last 4 POTY have all been either getting into the England team on a regular basis (Barry) or starting to make their mark (the other 3).  I can't help but think Bent will be next if he does well and gets back into the lineup.

Those shared rooms on England away trips must be the prime place for getting your ear bent about how much money you can make at a Sky 4 club.  Perhaps a few decent foreigners would help with a bit of stability.  There wasn't constant talk of Mellberg wanting to leave while he was dominating the back line and being a Sweden regular (the last season excepted).  England seems to be bad for clubs, but good for players.  Perhaps we should all be a bit more like Fergie a few years ago and refuse to release our players for England duties?

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »
If we cant sell Heskey this season we should make him POTY so we can mug somebody off next season.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2011, 10:05:04 AM »
If we cant sell Heskey this season we should make him POTY so we can mug somebody off next season.

Sell Heskey, sh1t, i'm all for making money but ffs have a conciousness, we should wave him of to where ever, anyway another B'ham second we are beginning to look more like the noses than the noses

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2011, 10:09:51 AM »
But for £20mil for Downing, £12mil for Barry (with one year left on his deal), £25mil+ for Milner and £17mil for Ashley Young (with one year left on his deal), makes all business sense to sell. I'm happy for us to sell. All those were good deals for us at the time.

Good business sense, crap for the football team we put out.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
I struggle to see any sense in the selling of players like Barry, like Ash Young, Downing, James Milner, letting go NRC and of loading Brad Friedal and that's good business, what we have sold there is the nucleus of a side that can potentially challenge the top 4, and all that money we have cashed in on will vanish in a heartbeat if we get relegated.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 10:18:52 AM »
Randy was quoted last August that we are a sell to buy club so that is how it is!

Offline levico

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 10:21:17 AM »
Despite the 'all clubs are selling clubs' comment - I think we are becoming more so than others. However, I could put up with all that if other players were coming into the club. What's going on ?  Even our attempts to make the essential signing of a decent goalkeeper seem to be dragging on. I get the impression that all is not well behind the scenes.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
I get the impression that all is not well behind the scenes.

Happily we dodged a bullet by rejecting Benitez, as he wanted "total control". It's much more comforting having Faulkner in "total control"; he doesn't say "cloob".

Offline Villanation

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »
Despite the 'all clubs are selling clubs' comment - I think we are becoming more so than others. However, I could put up with all that if other players were coming into the club. What's going on ?  Even our attempts to make the essential signing of a decent goalkeeper seem to be dragging on. I get the impression that all is not well behind the scenes.

My thoughts exactly, it doesn't feel like a club that has any kind of plan, almost a clear out sale and then go from there, said before, The AM appointment was always very weird IMO, said at the time if you wanted someone that was very thick skinned and could take the flak, he's your man, I'm just wondering if what your actually seeing is a downsizing of the club in terms of its squad and ambitions, wage bill and status.

Next days will be very important, after this weekend we are just a few weeks away from kick of, yes lets press that panic button ffs otherwise we'll have a repeat of last season, we'll blunder into the start.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 10:33:28 AM »
If the top 5 keep raiding us for our best players each season then as long as we get good money for that player so be it. Until we start winning things and give the players reason to stay then we best get used to it.

How do you expect us to win things if we constantly sell our best players? How do you expect us to get back into the UEFA cup if we keep selling our best players?
Of course every player has a price and every club loses their best players. However, they don't lose them year upon year upon year.
What really makes this situation worse is that we are selling our best players in order to balance the books because we can't sell the shit that MON bought.
We end up weakened by the loss of our best players and meanwhile have to make a silk purse from the sow's ears we've got left.

If we get in N'zogbia and Parker I think we will be stronger than last year.  £20M for that spineless weasel is outstanding business.

If we don't invest wisely then we will go backwards. 

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
If we don't invest wisely then we will go backwards.
We're already going backwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal