collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We're a selling club  (Read 60380 times)

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Re: We're a selling club
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 08:27:26 AM »
We are a stepping stone club and that's what hurts the most.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 08:28:55 AM »
There's not many clubs that aren't stepping stone blubs now. Real Madrid and Barca are the big boys.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 08:33:44 AM »
I am concerned that we have thrown the towel in , raised the White flag ,

The signal sent by selling our best players is indicative of a club who is happy with mediocrity but hopes it gets some breaks along the way to appease the fans.

Randy is a great owner in many many ways but we aren't likely yk be winning anything in the foreseeable future sadly.

ST sales must be taking a hit .

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
It just goes to show that when our players have a good season other clubs want them I wouldn't say we are a selling club it's just that other clubs recognise how we turned them into better players but it is annoying losing your best players every season.

Offline myf

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
There's not many clubs that aren't stepping stone blubs now. Real Madrid and Barca are the big boys.

Exactly.  What is important is that we reinvest the money in good young players.  Like Spurs have done in recent years.

Blaming the Board for Downing's lack of loyalty is very harsh, especially when the slag puts a transfer request in.  Here's hoping Delph takes him out in a very robust challenge in December.

Offline Ross

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »
Yes to an extent every club is a selling club, but the likes of Man U, Man C, Spurs etc will follow up a sale (or even pre-empt it) with a big signing and adequate replacement.

We rarely do that.  My only crumb of comfort is rather than our usual posturing that players aren't for sale until we cave in with too little time to replace them properly, they are leaving early this season.

However, I am undecided whether this is a deliberate tactic to give us more time to sign players, or a sign of desperation from the board to recoup money as soon as we can.....

If AM isn't at least given the Downing and Young money to spend i.e. nil net spend, then we are certainly a selling club and frankly deserve all the stick we have been getting over the last 12 months, and will continue to get this season.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
I think we've become a very average, faceless club.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »
But for £20mil for Downing, £12mil for Barry (with one year left on his deal), £25mil+ for Milner and £17mil for Ashley Young (with one year left on his deal), makes all business sense to sell. I'm happy for us to sell. All those were good deals for us at the time.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
I think we need to wait for the end of the summer and see who we bring in before we can get the big picture. Not holding my breath though.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:07 AM »
I think what concerns me most isn't that we are a selling club, by that we have become such a dreadfully run club in the space of a year.

We just seem to flounder around cluelessly.

Offline Iago

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2011, 08:49:26 AM »
But for £20mil for Downing, £12mil for Barry (with one year left on his deal), £25mil+ for Milner and £17mil for Ashley Young (with one year left on his deal
I notice a pattern here! But I cannot figure out why?  :-\ ???

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »
We have this discussion every year and it always ends the same way - me hammered on Jack Daniels crying into my toilet.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »
It will really hit home the next time England play. Will see a forward/midfield line up of Bent, young, Downing, and Milner, and possibly Barry, and think of what might have been.

Offline russon

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
But for £20mil for Downing, £12mil for Barry (with one year left on his deal), £25mil+ for Milner and £17mil for Ashley Young (with one year left on his deal), makes all business sense to sell. I'm happy for us to sell. All those were good deals for us at the time.

I don't go to Villa Park to watch pound notes fluttering across the park or the club's accountant filling in his paying in book. I want to watch football not count money. We flog the players you've named and replace them with players who are half as good, what's the sense in that? I know we aren't going to win the league but let's at least show some ambition, even if it's just to be the top club in the Midlands which we only managed by a solitary point last time.

Offline myf

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 09:15:08 AM »
Yes but England are shit

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal