collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Downing Completes Liverpool Transfer  (Read 129258 times)

Offline Mazrim

Re: Liverpool agree Downing fee
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 10:51:48 PM »
I dare say you might have his replacement in-the-bag already.

I told you it would be £20m mate.
And that's a ludicrous price for him in usual circumstances but about right in this crazy summer.

Enjoy him, he's a decent player but I'm struggling to give a toss about him for some reason. He'll do well for you.
I honestly think N'Zogbia is better though so hopefully we'll nab him now. We'd better have somebody lined up.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »

I wouldn't be banking on that.

Ever since the Downing story broke, i said that we should'nt consider selling him until we had lined up someone else. I personally think that we have got someone done and dusted, McCleish is'nt daft enough to run the risk of leaving us with only one winger.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 10:52:16 PM »
Nigh on £85 million for Downing, Adam, Henderson and Carroll

Dear oh dear oh dear me, poor old King Kenny paying so much money for such average talent because no one really decent will go there. That's a lot of money to finish no higher than 5th.
Maybe, but at least they're giving it a go.  We appear to have given up entirely.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »
Not as bothered about this as I thought I'd be.

We only saw 12 months of anything approaching decent form, so it's not as if he felt like part of the furniture. Maybe that's it.

It's a pisser, in so far as we look like we're about to lose one of our better players for the third time in 12 months, that's pretty much the only reason I'd have been against this deal.

But his departure virtually guarantees that we'll be bringing a few players in (I always felt we'd spend regardless, but there can be no excuse now). This is ultimately what Big Eck will be judged on, how he puts those resources to good use and moulds his own side.

As far as Liverpool are concerned, I think it's a risk. Not just this deal in isolation, but their spending to date.  Adam had a surprisingly poor pass completion rate last year - and that was meant to be his best ever season. If he gives the ball away that much in a red shirt I'm sure there will be catcalls from the bestest most patient fans in the country. Henderson? plenty has been said on that already and Carroll still looks like an absolutely mental purchase.

Speaking of which, buying a targetman and then looking for a winger to bang crosses into him is all a bit 1980's/ MON esque, isn't it? But I'll end the Redscouse talk there, for fear of a deluge of bombastic Redscouse posts insisting the title will be sown up by Christmas and so forth.

Offline Redman

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 10:53:02 PM »

Dear oh dear oh dear me, poor old King Kenny paying so much money for such average talent because no one really decent will go there. That's a lot of money to finish no higher than 5th. Remind of you of anyone?
Better wait and see how they get on first.

Did you omit Suarez deliberately?  ;D

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 10:53:55 PM »

Dear oh dear oh dear me, poor old King Kenny paying so much money for such average talent because no one really decent will go there. That's a lot of money to finish no higher than 5th.
Maybe, but at least they're giving it a go.  We appear to have given up entirely.

Fast forward a couple of seasons Hilts and see where this will have got them? I guarantee you not very far at all....

Offline Summers

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »
Anyone got the video of Downing standing off the pitch while we concede?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
The maggot finally wriggles free. A decent fee, but it will be meaningless if we don't spend it, and spend it wisely, on a replacement.

Offline sg

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:34 PM »
£20m... result!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 10:54:53 PM »
It depresses me that another one of our players has been plucked from us. Again. However, the club could lift some of that if the proceeds are spent wisely.

Offline frank black

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »
Mcleish creates rod for his own back. He's not for sale! What a prize t###
Well quite.  What he should have said was "Of course he's for sale, we're that sort of
club."

It would have been wise for him to avoid the statement. With a we will do all we can to keep Stewart. Rather than lie.

Offline Redman

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:44 PM »

I told you it would be £20m mate.
And that's a ludicrous price for him in usual circumstances but about right in this crazy summer.

Enjoy him, he's a decent player but I'm struggling to give a toss about him for some reason. He'll do well for you.
I honestly think N'Zogbia is better though so hopefully we'll nab him now. We'd better have somebody lined up.
You said £20m min, I said £20m max. Let's call it a draw.  :P

It is a lot of money - too much for my liking. But if that's who Kenny wanted, so be it.

He's hardly irreplaceable.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 10:55:53 PM »

Dear oh dear oh dear me, poor old King Kenny paying so much money for such average talent because no one really decent will go there. That's a lot of money to finish no higher than 5th. Remind of you of anyone?
Better wait and see how they get on first.

Did you omit Suarez deliberately?  ;D

No, I forgot about him, not sure about him either. I'll have £20 with you that you'll finish no higher than fifth...

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »
Shame but after he was tapped up was always on the cards. All we can hope is that we've got a good fee andvtat the manager is allowed to spend it. If it brings us three players then it might even be a positive.

Now fuck off you ungrateful twat.

Echo this.

And yes, I am also petty enough to hope the fucker breaks a knee cap in dust up with Gerard in the first training session. Ungrateful scrote.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »
Fast forward a couple of seasons Hilts and see where this will have got them? I guarantee you not very far at all....
You guarantee that do you?  I'm not so sure.  But you can guarantee where selling your best players will get you: absolutely fucking nowhere.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal