collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Bayern Munich 1973  (Read 12637 times)

Offline gervilla

Re: Aston Villa v Bayern Munich 1973
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 08:28:11 PM »
Pal Csernai was their manager in 1982 according to Wikipedia.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:15 PM »
Beckenbauer of course also played at Villa Park in the 1966 World Cup.
I stood on the German-occupied Holte End for their game against Spain, and was deafened by their air horns and belows of heraus! Good game (2-1 West Germany), though I wanted Spain to win (I'd gone to Penns Hall to get their autographs and was somewhat starstruck), and it was the first time I'd seen anyone dive around as if shot when tackled (Helmut Haller).

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
Pal Csernai was their manager in 1982 according to Wikipedia.

I think we are both right. Uli Hoeness was general manager and Pal Csernai was coach apparently. I must admit though, whilst a lot of the Bayern names from that game are familiar to me, Pal Csernai doesn't ring any bells at all. Still, doesn't matter - they all lost!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »
I stood on the German-occupied Holte End for their game against Spain, and was deafened by their air horns and belows of heraus! Good game (2-1 West Germany), though I wanted Spain to win (I'd gone to Penns Hall to get their autographs and was somewhat starstruck), and it was the first time I'd seen anyone dive around as if shot when tackled (Helmut Haller).

RR No 62, were there many foreign fans in Brum for the world cup? My mom was working in Dorothy Perkins and the Argentinian team shopped in there but I think they were the only overseas people she had ever met. I have never met anybody who went to that world cup, even games at Villa Park.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 04:59:26 PM »
I don't know for sure, but my memory of that day was that the Holte was pretty packed and everyone seemed to be German. The Witton End was Spanish, but there were nowhere near as many.

It was a tremendous experience, as I don't think I'd ever met a single foreign person let alone a Holte's worth of them (especially as it hadn't been that long since most of my play time had been spent pretending to shoot them in the garden).

I could also claim (somewhat bogusly) to have seen all the World Cup Final players in installments.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2024, 11:26:25 PM »
Might as well bump this. The only time I remember seeing him play. I’m surprised at the low attendance more than anything.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 02:54:20 PM »
I don't remember much about that game, other than the fact that I went to it. As others have said, for some reason it didn't much capture the public's interest at the time.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2024, 09:31:11 PM »

My Dad said there were several thousand Germans at the final. He said 20000. He is very old style Irish so lets say 8000-10000

RR No 62, were there many foreign fans in Brum for the world cup? My mom was working in Dorothy Perkins and the Argentinian team shopped in there but I think they were the only overseas people she had ever met. I have never met anybody who went to that world cup, even games at Villa Park.

Offline steamer

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2024, 10:21:13 AM »
I have the programme and went
That is my only recollection of the game.
The Santos game attracted not only Villa fans but fans from across the country wanting to see Pele. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal