collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ambition - Wenger comments  (Read 19762 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Ambition - Wenger comments
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2011, 11:39:36 PM »
I think Arsenal also made a fortune from the redevelopment of Highbury didn't they?  Of all the Big 4/5, I think they're the most financially sound.  Not qualifying for the Champions League would be a blow of course, but I think they'd feel it the most in terms of trying to attract replacements for Nasri and Fabregas.

Wenger said tonight that the game was not financially important, and they have practically paid off the loan they took out to buy the Emerites now, within 4 seasons when they projected 10 or something like that. They are in an enviable financial position, but that has been complimented by the ability of Wenger to school players in a style of football that has consistently gained champions league football and big transfer profits. We have seen already that although being criticised to the hilt, the group of young players he has there will likely to continue bringing big fees in. The test he has now is re investing over the next week to ensure they qualify again.

As for the players getting into the Chelsea team, it is open to debate of course, but I reckon you could argue 4-5 of them would currently. Chelsea are ageing and not at all the side they were 2 years ago. Where they have failed in the lack of managerial continuity, causing long term planning and player recruitment to be very hit and miss, whereas you look at United and even with their worst squad in years last season, they won the league, got to the FA Cup Semi and Champions League final. And then have bought 3-4 young players to replace the ageing ones. Fergie gets rid of players when their useful life is up, Chelsea don't seem to have that.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
Arsenal are miles behind Chelsea.

It's all very well to talk about paying loans off early, but the Arsenal fans want to see a hint of some silverware. Not everyone can win things year in, year out, but Wenger's problem is that the whole world and his dog can see what Arsenal's weaknesses are, and have been able to do for a few years now, but Wenger seems determined not to do anything about it.

They did well tonight, but it's really pretty easy to guess how the rest of Arsenal's season will turn out.

Apparently their CL run last year earned them 26m. Thats a lot of money, and they'll be relieved at tonight's result, but on the pitch it is really papering over the cracks, and they'll stagnate until they address their real problems.

Online KRS

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »
Wenger said tonight that the game was not financially important
Do you actually believe anything that comes out Wengers mouth these days?! Of course qualifying for the CL is financially important.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2011, 07:21:18 PM »
Wenger seems to see principle as a substitute for, not a guide to, thought. A month ago, I would have bet that they finished in the top four. Now I can see the wheels falling off the wagon similar to what happened to Liverpool when they lost Alonso.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
Wenger seems to have forgotten how to coach a defence.  Squillaci was a pretty good champions league defender until he went there, and the others all have decent attributes that are in the squad.

Unless he buys an absolute top notch defensive general they will be as inconsistent as last year or worse.  He certainly doesn't have to ability to create one himself and his previous success was from a ready made Tony Adams and buying Sol Campbell from spurs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal