collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ambition - Wenger comments  (Read 19695 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ambition - Wenger comments
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 09:37:17 AM »
Spurs have turned down Chelsea's latest bid for Modric apparently.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »
In 2011, Aston Villa sold Ashley Young and (possibly) Stewart Downing. One was sorely missed, the other (will) was not.

Downing is not in the same category as losing Young

That's right, because Downing won player of the year to show how much we'd miss Young?!

Offline RunRickyRun

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
Every year the same people fall for the same trick.

A player wants more money so says that he wants to join a more ambitious club. Fans then self flagellate, crying over a footballer earning vast vast sums of money who wants to earn more. Instead of turning on said players, the fans turn on their own clubs. It happens at every club - even Manchester United during the Rooney and Ronaldo sagas.

This has the knock on effect of  pressurising the club to sign more players on ridiculous wages who will turn around and do the same thing in a few years time. The players and agents laugh all the way to the bank.

It's funny reading how people call our current board unambitious. If paying players almost 90% of your turnover and plunging the club deep into the red while making sustained £30 million plus losses every season isn't ambitious, I don't know what is. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
In 2011, Aston Villa sold Ashley Young and (possibly) Stewart Downing. One was sorely missed, the other (will) was not.

Downing is not in the same category as losing Young

That's right, because Downing won player of the year to show how much we'd miss Young?!

Ryan Giggs won footballer of the year in 2009 when clearly not the best footballer of the year.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
Downing won our player of the year award. So what?

He had a 7/10 season IMO, good some games, missing in others. Add to that his abysmal first season and I won't miss him in the slightest.

Albrighton's stats are just as good and at least he looks remotely interested and will put his foot in

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:14 PM »
He usually puts his foot into the leg of an opposition player.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
Think Wenger is right, in fact IMO, if you want to show true ambition, you sell Nasri for say 25ML, you go out and buy the new blood even at 30ML, just for intent.

We sold Young and previously Milner, 2 class wide players, we should at least install 1 very excellent alternative at least.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 03:08:02 PM »
Cany somebody explain to me why Modric is considered to be worth that much money?

I've tried to see it and I just can't. Its not usually a problem I have. He doesnt score, he doesnt provide assists, he's not physically imposing, a tackler, a leader... So what is it?
He's about a tenth the player van der Vaart is and nobody is kicking their door down for him.

I cant stand Spurs but you have to be impressed. Here they are getting unbelievable money for an overrated wanker. Again.
They got £18m for Carrick and they'll probably sell Modric for twice that. There is some sort of jewish business magic at play here I think.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »
Cany somebody explain to me why Modric is considered to be worth that much money?

I've tried to see it and I just can't. Its not usually a problem I have. He doesnt score, he doesnt provide assists, he's not physically imposing, a tackler, a leader... So what is it?
He's about a tenth the player van der Vaart is and nobody is kicking their door down for him.

I cant stand Spurs but you have to be impressed. Here they are getting unbelievable money for an overrated wanker. Again.
They got £18m for Carrick and they'll probably sell Modric for twice that. There is some sort of jewish business magic at play here I think.
I agree.
Modric is good, but the money and mystique spinning around him suggests a talent not that far below Lionel Messi.

I really don't know what it is about Spurs, play for them and your value mirrors inflated London property.

You have to admit though, 'Arry is a canny wanker.

Offline Villanation

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »

Exactly, he makes wonderful bagels and his Havla bread is to die for.......................

Offline Redman

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 07:52:05 PM »
Anybody else struggle to sympathise with Arsenal re: Fabregas?

They did, after all, pinch him from Barca when he was just a kid. Now he wants to go back, who could blame them for forcing the issue?

Offline GJH

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »
Downing is more of a loss than youngy!

First full season young was unstoppable thats why he won the player of the year award, the last 2 seasons he has been good but not outstanding!

Can't see him replacing Giggs. Definateley a squad player but not first choice.

He went missing too many times in the big games.

Downing has been constantly good, even back in his boro' days he was always player of the year. Big, Big loss if he goes.

The players nowadays aren't interested in who they play for only what money they can get.
Ambition? Don't agree, most of the Arsenal Players have left for more money - Adebayor, Clichy,Toure, Fabregas etc

£75-100k a week isn't a lot of money any more its £150-200k a week is what the big names want.

Where will it end?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
That lasted long didn't it?

Arsenal will do nothing of note this season at all.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 12:40:33 PM »
Good time to revive this thread.  People were predicting with confidence that Arsenal, if they sold Fabregas and Nasri, would go out and show their superior ambition and resources with the purchase of top class replacements, putting Villa firmly in their place.  But at present, if anything, they look more directionless than we did.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 12:59:31 PM »
Good time to revive this thread.  People were predicting with confidence that Arsenal, if they sold Fabregas and Nasri, would go out and show their superior ambition and resources with the purchase of top class replacements, putting Villa firmly in their place.  But at present, if anything, they look more directionless than we did.

If they finish the season with anything less than 15 points more than us I'll be absolutely amazed.  They haven't got off to a good start, but I think two games is a bit soon to be writing them off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal