collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Thanks Ken Mcnaught  (Read 8257 times)

Offline dorsetvilla

Thanks Ken Mcnaught
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
I went to the annual BBQ for the Bournemouth Villa Supporters Club yesterday and the special guest was Villa legend Ken McNaught.

What a gentleman he was and to think he had given up a whole weekend to come down to Bournemouth from his home in Brum with his wife just to attend. Ken gave a really interesting talk about his time with the villa, which of course concentrated on winning the League, European Cup and Super Cup.

He ended by telling a story about how Peter Withe at a recent awards dinner had approached Darren Bent and had  asked him about being the next Villa player to score 20 golas in a season. Apparently Darren Bent had absolutely know idea who Peter Withe was!!!

Anyway thanks to Ken McNaught and of course I look forward to seeing Darren Bent visting us in Bournemouth in 30 years time?

Dorset Villa

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Re: Thanks Ken Mcnaught
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »
Think Darren Bent need a good history book to read about Aston Villa. :)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:54:06 PM »
I didn't know Ken was back living in Brum. Great player, great man.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
We have the pleasure of meeting Ken Mcnaught at north walsall lions and he did not duck any questions that came his way. Also he some tails about deadly.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
We have the pleasure of meeting Ken Mcnaught at north walsall lions and he did not duck any questions that came his way. Also he some tails about deadly.
Share please. Excellent player Ken Mc. Played against us for Everton in the league cup final if I remember and signed him up after.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:20:17 AM »
Share please. Excellent player Ken Mc. Played against us for Everton in the league cup final if I remember and signed him up after.

Sure did. Took him a while to get the fans on-side too, though replacing Chris Nichol was always going to be a tough gig

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:44:39 AM »
Do players go through an induction when joining the club,players should be made aware of our history.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 06:14:49 AM »
Top man Ken McNaught. As Willy says,it took a while for him to get going when he arrived from Everton and replaced most fans favourite Chris Nicholl. I remember one of his early games for us against Arsenal at Villa Park where he could'nt put a foot right and was taking a lot of stick and most fans wanted him dropped,but Ron Saunders stood by him and i am glad to say he won us over and went on to become a rock in that defence that won them trophies in the early eighties. I often see him in the press box at Villa park and he is always ready to stop and have a chat about the game.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:30:19 AM »
Ken did the Villa tour the other Sunday which my Dad went on (paid for by us as part of his 80th birthday) and he commented that Ken was an absolute gentleman happy to spend time answering loads of questions and signing autographs etc. Great ambassador for the club.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
I saw him play for the old stars a couple of months back so I guess he still lives in the area.
He left the Villa to join Albion in 1983, as I understand he would have stayed but wanted more money than the club was willing to pay. The figure I heard was an extra 50 quid a week.

Offline dorsetvilla

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
McNaught said that the Villa team earnt just over ₤1000 each, as a win bonus for winning the European Cup. How times have changed!

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »
Always remember him taking a ball full in the face during one match (and bear in mind how hard the balls were then).
He just shook his head briefly,  like a dog sneezing, and carried on as normal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
I heard he left because Doug wouldn't match Albion's offer, then six months later he was so unhappy at Albion he wanted to take a wage cut to come back. Tony Barton wanted him back but Doug wouldn't have him back on principle. He preferred paying twice as much for Steve Foster.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 03:02:52 PM »
He was just about to sign a new contract with the villa but deadly decided to sell him.
Ken thinks it was because he was close to his testimonial.
Deadly would also after a game go to the players lounge after the game to see what was left and would count any thing that was not eaten and the next game they would be that short.
Ken also said that b-lose where better paid than Villa players but Villa had a much higher win bonus which deadly cut.
And you all know about no league or cup winning photos in the ground when he became chairman.
The money he paid for the club he got back in no time by making himself the first paid chairman.
Ken thinks deadly was winning the lottery every year.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »
Sounds like KM is a great Villa man, as for Ellis I will let you make your own mind up!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal