collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rename Villa Park??  (Read 22333 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Rename Villa Park??
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
Well, getting past those fair play rules wasn't exactly difficult, was it?

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
No. It's Villa Park and that's how it should be.

It was bad enough when the Witton Lane name was changed.

And while we're at it, let's make sure we don't fill in the corners of the stadium. Let's not be an indentikit of others.

Offline Dave Javu

• GM : 31.07.2019
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 12:22:10 PM »
Following the Man City interpretation of the rules, every time Roman Abramovich has a glass of vodka at Stamford Bridge, he will probably charge himself £2million.

Offline dotcomsimon

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »
The deal with Citeh is 150m over 15 years, So thats 10m per year or just under Yaya Toures wages per year, They will still need more money.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
Yes but for a combination, you'd probably have to accept considerably less money for it...

Not necessarily.  Since Villa Park is a historical name I think it would be of more value for the sponsor to be associated with that name, rather than trying to replace it and then having their name ignored by fans who simply continue to refer to the ground as Villa Park.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 12:42:44 PM »
How about turning it around ? A company changes its name and rebrands itself using our name....for example Norwich Union renamed itself Aviva, they could have paid us by allowing them to rebrand themselves as 'Villa Park' instead.
Why pay copious quantities of cash to Paul Whitehouse and the TV stations for air time when their name/brand would get massive exposure every time we are mentioned ?

"Car Insurance ? Go direct............get the Villa Park deal".

As an ex Norwich Union employee can I immediately veto this idea?  The name of our good club should never be sullied with those bastards - be like a Barton/Bowyer/Bellamy triple signing!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 12:44:20 PM »
I've no problem with selling the naming rights. If done correctly, the words "Villa Park" can be retained

Microsoft Stadium @ Villa Park
Budweiser Stadium @ Villa Park

Either work for me

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 12:44:33 PM »
Following the Man City interpretation of the rules, every time Roman Abramovich has a glass of vodka at Stamford Bridge, he will probably charge himself £2million.

That's quite cheap by London prices.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 12:45:39 PM »
Since Villa Park is a historical name I think it would be of more value for the sponsor to be associated with that name, rather than trying to replace it and then having their name ignored by fans who simply continue to refer to the ground as Villa Park.

They won't care what the fans who go call it, just what the media does everytime we're mentioned.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
How about turning it around ? A company changes its name and rebrands itself using our name....for example Norwich Union renamed itself Aviva, they could have paid us by allowing them to rebrand themselves as 'Villa Park' instead.
Why pay copious quantities of cash to Paul Whitehouse and the TV stations for air time when their name/brand would get massive exposure every time we are mentioned ?

As an ex Norwich Union employee can I immediately veto this idea?  The name of our good club should never be sullied with those bastards - be like a Barton/Bowyer/Bellamy triple signing!
So your time as an employee at Norwich Union wasn't a happy one then?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
If we're renamiing it we should call it Brian.

Offline TheMitaCopier

• AVFC
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
isn't our ground called aston lower grounds? villa park was the nickname given to it by fans, or is it time for me to stop toking?  :)

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 12:53:25 PM »

So your time as an employee at Norwich Union wasn't a happy one then?

I think Dickens said it best:-

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Offline villa_oldie

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
No way, I'm a traditionalist. What makes Aston Villa FC unique is the touch of class that radiates from it.

Yeh that's great and all - but, I'm sure Man City fans will get over selling the name of the stadium when they've secured a few more trophies over the next 5 years...

Whereas we'll have our traditional name, do everything by the book - writing letters to ask to speak to managers/players etc. and remain 7th-10th.

Good that...

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
People say they would still call it Villa Park, but how many still refer to the Witton Lane stand as such rather than the Doug Ellis stand?  Over time the name would fade.  At the very worst it should be the sponsor's name plus Villa Park but the reference to VP should never be removed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal