collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by dave.woodhall
[Today at 11:09:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 11:06:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 11:04:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:57:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:55:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:51:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:51:03 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard
[Today at 10:47:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A Little Reminder of When Villa Were The Greatest Club In The World  (Read 17206 times)

Online Billy Walker

Just to take our minds off what is going on at the club at the moment, I have just stumbled across this:

http://www.grahambuddauctions.co.uk/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=GB18&LotRef=407

(Apologies Mods for the long link.)

I never even realised there was a programme for this fixture - and if I had have known then I would have sold everything I own to put in a bid.  This item, for me, embodies everything that is unbeatable about Aston Villa Football Club.

Further examination of the site yields even more Villa treasures that have recently gone under the hammer.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:03:48 PM by Billy Walker »

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: A Little Reminder of When Villa Were The Greatest Club In The World
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Great find. It never occurred to me there was a programme for this.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »
Das ist Ausgezeichnet!

Won't please jackthevillain though.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:19:14 PM »
I wonder how many more little gems like this there are out there.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
Makes your heart swell just a litle bit

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
The thing I like about this kind of stuff is that it might educate the younger football supporter out there that the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United etc. were all small fry and unheard of back in the day.  Villa were "the" name and world famous before the lot of them.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:37:11 PM »
It says on the link the game was played the day after the England international. I am sure there was more of a gap between the two games. Didnt Eric Houghton appear in both ?

In the Summer of 1938 Villa toured Germany where they created International headlines by refusing flatly to give the Nazi salute, unlike the England team of the time who had complied with DEMANDS to do so. The England team who played in Berlin lost 6-3 to the German National Team.

It was an episode that rekindled pride in British Independence and made Villa many friends. The Incident caused much Embarrassment to the British Government who were trying to appease the German Dictator. In England Villas gesture was generally applauded and made the club many friends.

The next game between the two teams, and the last to be played before World War II, was again in Germany, a friendly at the Olympic Stadium in Berlin on 14 May 1938, played in front of a crowd of 110,000 people. It was the last occasion on which England played against a unified German team until the 1990s. This was the most controversial of all the early encounters between the two teams, as before kick-off the English players were ordered by the Foreign Office to line up and perform a Nazi salute in respect to their hosts. How compliant the players were with this situation has been a matter of debate, with a feature in The Observer in 2001 speculating that they were "perhaps merely indifferent players (who had undoubtedly become more reluctant, to the point of mutiny, by the time the post-war memoirs were published)."[5]

A BBC News Online report published in 2003 reported that the salute was calculated to show: "that Germany, which two months earlier had annexed Austria, was not a pariah state. The friendly game effectively helped clear the way for Chamberlain's "Peace for our time" deal with Hitler, which, in turn, led to Germany's invasion of Czechoslovakia."[6] England won the match 6–3, but according to German writer Ulrich Linder, author of the book Strikers for Hitler: "To lose to England at the time was nothing unusual because basically everybody lost to [them] at the time. For Hitler the propaganda effect of that game was more important than anything else."

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:51:07 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
Just to reply to Andy_Lochead:

I think Villa and England toured together - and, I think, Houghton played in both matches on consecutive days.  I could be wrong, though, and would be very interested to hear otherwise.

The Germans had been inviting English club sides over for a number of years prior to this tour but this one was seen as the "big" tour hence England and Villa being invited over together.  We forget just how famous and influential a club Villa were back then.  I think the tour had been organized as part of a propaganda push on Hitler's part with  the FA and British Government viewing it as the perfect opportunity to cement diplomatic ties between the two nations,  possibly being able to pacify the worsening political situation.  It certainly represents a key moment in the development of sport being used as a political tool.

I remember reading that Villa and England were placed under huge pressure by the FA and British diplomats to do the salute - it might actually have been from an interview with Houghton.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 01:06:26 PM »
I wonder how many more little gems like this there are out there.

If anyone has a Villa v Huddersfield 1922 Cup Final program I'll give them a couple of bob for it. :-)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
One of our players (can't remember who just now) played in both games. We actually played a stronger team than England did as our opponents were a Germany and Austria XI. First game we were asked to salute and refused. Second game we were told to and did, after a fashion.   

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:37:42 PM »
One of our players (can't remember who just now) played in both games. We actually played a stronger team than England did as our opponents were a Germany and Austria XI. First game we were asked to salute and refused. Second game we were told to and did, after a fashion.   

Was that when Houghton "lobbed the V's" as it were?

I've said in past debates on here and I'll say it again, the story of this tour would make a great documentary or film.

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
According to this site, the only Villa player of the X1 for the England game was Frank Broome. No mention of Eric Houghton.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1900-39/1937-38/MS216Ger1938.html

According to Chris Nawrat and Steve Hutchings' The Sunday Times Illustrated History of Football, England were determined that Germany should not benefit from the Anschluss in this match and obtained an agreement that the German team would not include any Austrian players on the condition that Aston Villa would play a friendly match the next day against a combined German and Austrian team. 

However, Houghton is mentioned here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article4652386.ece?token=null&offset=84&page=8

Eric Houghton was a brilliant, hard-shooting winger for Villa and England in the 1930s, an FA Cup-winning manager with the club in the 50s and a director in the 70s. No one laid better claim to the title Mr Aston Villa. But Eric was no Europhile and he hated the Germans with a passion. On the BBC’s wonderful oral history of the game Kicking and Screaming in the 1990s he gleefully told the tale of taking a penalty against German opposition on a Villa tour. “The keeper came off his line and said to me ‘You English pig, you English pig’, trying to put me off. I said ‘You get back on your line Fritz and I shall endeavour to knock your square head into a round one’. And the ball shot just past him on the way in, hit the stanchion then almost got him again as it came out.”

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:13:09 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 04:17:23 PM »
According to this site, the only Villa player of the X1 for the England game was Frank Broome. No mention of Eric Houghton.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/Seas1900-39/1937-38/MS216Ger1938.html

According to Chris Nawrat and Steve Hutchings' The Sunday Times Illustrated History of Football, England were determined that Germany should not benefit from the Anschluss in this match and obtained an agreement that the German team would not include any Austrian players on the condition that Aston Villa would play a friendly match the next day against a combined German and Austrian team. 

However, Houghton is mentioned here.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article4652386.ece?token=null&offset=84&page=8

Eric Houghton was a brilliant, hard-shooting winger for Villa and England in the 1930s, an FA Cup-winning manager with the club in the 50s and a director in the 70s. No one laid better claim to the title Mr Aston Villa. But Eric was no Europhile and he hated the Germans with a passion. On the BBC’s wonderful oral history of the game Kicking and Screaming in the 1990s he gleefully told the tale of taking a penalty against German opposition on a Villa tour. “The keeper came off his line and said to me ‘You English pig, you English pig’, trying to put me off. I said ‘You get back on your line Fritz and I shall endeavour to knock your square head into a round one’. And the ball shot just past him on the way in, hit the stanchion then almost got him again as it came out.”

Thanks for that.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
they still are the greatest club in the world to me.  I pity other fans that dont have Villa

Offline joecrow

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:30:15 PM »
great stuff. wonder what jack would make of this? ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal