collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: McLeish to Delph 'Show why we paid a decent sum for you.'  (Read 11869 times)

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
McLeish to Delph 'Show why we paid a decent sum for you.'
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »
sportinglife.com

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish has challenged midfielder Fabian Delph to start living up to his £6million price tag.

Delph was regarded as one of the brightest young prospects in the country when he moved from Leeds to Villa as a 19-year-old two seasons ago.

But he has not established a regular spot at Villa and has also suffered several injury setbacks and is currently recovering from an ankle problem.

McLeish said: "I think it's time for Fabian Delph to show the reason why Villa invested a decent sum of money on a very young player.

"The challenge is there for Fabian. He can certainly tackle as well as pass the ball. He's got that quality.

"He's got a determined attitude and believes in himself."

McLeish will use pre-season - Villa report back on Friday - to determine whether Delph is ready for the Premier League.

He said: "We'll get a good idea in pre-season and will assess him then. I have to assess if he is ready for the Premier League.

"But for him, after his injury problems, to get a full season would be a massive boost to his mental toughness."

Offline Mr Diggles

Re: McLeish to Delph 'Show why we paid a decent sum for you.'
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
They need to assess if he's ready for top level football? After paying £6m for him 2 seasons ago? Dear me.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
They need to assess if he's ready for top level football? After paying £6m for him 2 seasons ago? Dear me.

It wasn't McLeish who paid £6million for a third tier footballer unproven in the Premier League, and he's not had many chances to prove himself as yet, so of course he needs to assess him. Personally I think he'll be a good player for us this season but I'm not the manager!

Offline SX150

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
From the bit of football we have seen from him he looks a good player. He don't seem to have much luck regarding injuries though.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
He certainly is ready for the Premier League. The only reason he hasn't figured more is because of a very serious injury.
Don't be a prick now Alex.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »
"I think it's time for Fabian Delph to show the reason why Villa invested a decent sum of money on a very young player.

"The challenge is there for Fabian. He can certainly tackle as well as pass the ball. He's got that quality.

"He's got a determined attitude and believes in himself."

"We'll get a good idea in pre-season and will assess him then. I have to assess if he is ready for the Premier League.

"But for him, after his injury problems, to get a full season would be a massive boost to his mental toughness."

It's sometimes better to read the quotes without the journalists spin.  It all sounds pretty positive for me and I think we'll see him emerge as a star next season.

Offline UsualSuspect

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »
In fairness to Delph MON signed him but then didn't really bother trying to integrate him into the side, then he got injured and the GH prefered that cock Pires.

I remember watching him against Man Ure at home about 18 months ago and thinking how good he looked. I would love to see him in the centre of a midfield 5

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »

I remember watching him against Man Ure at home about 18 months ago and thinking how good he looked. I would love to see him in the centre of a midfield 5
Agree.
He'd be perfect next to Makoun and (in my dreams) Parker.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
He can defend and attack, energetic and hard working both with the ball and off it, highly skilful, intelligence and quality in his passing and looks to want to dictate play.

The only worries are whether he can improve his tackling (I think he will) and will he be able to avoid further serious injury.

I was very pleased that we awarded him a new 4 year contract a few months ago.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:26 PM »
He certainly is ready for the Premier League. The only reason he hasn't figured more is because of a very serious injury.

Well it's obvious what your thoughts on the manager are. He's said what he thought needed to be said to get the best out of Delph. He's laid the challenge down to Delph to step up and he obviously thinks Delph can do this this, hence the comments. No idea what your "don't be a prick now" nonsense is for.

McLeish is not the sort of manager to alienate players. It seems to be one of his biggest assests is that players hold him in high regard, enjoy working with him, respect him and will put in 100% for him (unlike Houllier).

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
I hope he get's lots of game time and stays clear of injuries he can be a top top player I think McLeish will give him game time this season so fingers crossed he stays off the treatment table.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
If you think what McLeish was able to get from the similar, but vastly less skilled, Craig Gardner, then it bodes well for young Fabian. 

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »

Well it's obvious what your thoughts on the manager are. He's said what he thought needed to be said to get the best out of Delph. He's laid the challenge down to Delph to step up and he obviously thinks Delph can do this this, hence the comments. No idea what your "don't be a prick now" nonsense is for.

McLeish is not the sort of manager to alienate players. It seems to be one of his biggest assests is that players hold him in high regard, enjoy working with him, respect him and will put in 100% for him (unlike Houllier).

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
If he stays injury free next season I reckon he will show why we paid so much for him and prove to be worth more.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:42:14 PM »
It's ALWAYS better to read the quotes without the journalists spin.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal