collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cuellar likely to stay for another season  (Read 14480 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Cuellar likely to stay for another season
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:30 PM »
In an ideal world we'd get Agger in the Downing deal.
Good shout, although we really need to strengthen at FB, imho, if CC is staying as a CB.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
If we'd had a good attacking option I would agree but we didn't, we had the solid plodder Luke Young.
Cafu he isn't; a better attacking RB than Cuellar he definitely is.

Yep, but not enough to make a difference, in my opinion, and disrupt a very good defence. As you say we didn't score enough goals and I really don't think Luke Young was the solution but by conceding few we made it less of an issue.

The defensive weaknesses last season were partly down to GH trying to play a more open, expansive style rather than backs to the wall for 80 minutes, where everybody was contributing to our great defence, not just the back four.

I wish we'd had a few more "solid plodders" like Luke Young in the team last season. As Hilts said, he may not be Cafu but he rarely let us down. 'Solid', yes. 'Plodder', you've got to be joking? As a former centre back himself, you've got to hope AM sorts out the defence once and for all.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2011, 09:53:49 PM »
I'd ship him out and get the money for him. He's gonna be third choice at best, and he'll be off next Summer anyway.
What money?
And, he'd be a first-choice CB based on the performances of other candidates last season.
Exactly! I reckon Collins and Dunnbo let us down more than a few times last season. CC is a good CB and should be playing there. I love Dunny's do or die attitude at times but it's not good enough for the Prem (unless he goes on a massive fitness programme & loses a stone or 2). I'd love Scott Dann to join us with a view to having him paired with Clarky in a few years time Classy pairing imo.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
As a former centre back himself, you've got to hope AM sorts out the defence once and for all.

AM faces a dilemma though: Does he continue doing what has given him success in the future -- create a defensive-minded but successful team that rarely concede but only score by a miracle, or does he try to be Pep Guardiola, which will probably fail and look more like Ian Holloway? Hopefully, he'll manage to strike a balance.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »
As a former centre back himself, you've got to hope AM sorts out the defence once and for all.

AM faces a dilemma though: Does he continue doing what has given him success in the future -- create a defensive-minded but successful team that rarely concede but only score by a miracle, or does he try to be Pep Guardiola, which will probably fail and look more like Ian Holloway? Hopefully, he'll manage to strike a balance.

Three things at least have to be taken into consideration:

1. At the Rags he never had any decent strikers. They defended well, played the ball about in midfield and then gave it to the opposition as there were no other options.

2. He has to realise that at Aston Villa, we expect much more even if we don't always get it.

3. He needs to buy well, not just on players that can do a job but players that do it and add something else.

I really think he will surprise a few people providing he gets his signings right and fans give him a chance.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 10:23:33 PM »
Yes, but my question is: is it somehow possible to get the best of both worlds? Will McLeish be able to do who what he's apparently not good at  (getting the team to play decent football) now that he's got the personell to do it without forsaking what he IS good at (getting the team to defend well)?

I'm not sure if I believe so, but there's hope!

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48:07 AM »
At times it seems I follow a different team. Some of you seem to have been following a free-flowing, high-scoring outfit.

How often in recent years have we scored more goals than in 09/10 when Cuellar played at RB?
How often have we had a better goal difference?

Carlos Cuellar is an extremely good defender whether at CB or RB. His strength is that he covers the back line from penalty spot to right touchline, rather than staying out on the touchline as Walker or Young do. He isn't comfortable when carrying the ball out of defence but he more than makes up for it with his defensive qualities.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
I don't even think Carlos is that good a defender.  Decent but not great, certainly not as good as the likes of Mellberg or Laursen.  When playing RB and the opposition were attacking down the right wing,  he kept drifting inside to his more natural CB position often leaving the left wing exposed.  And his distribution makes Mellberg look like Beckenbauer. I think we need some new CBs as Collins is a trier but positionally all over the place, and Dunne is not always reliable.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
Cuellar was a strange signing at the time when we had signed Davies and Knight, while Laursen was still there. Laursen and Davies was the partnership so not sure where MON saw Cuellar fitting in. Cuellar was very poor in his first season when given chances at centre half. Once Laursen got injured, he had chances to bed down a place but if memory serves correct Knight and Davies were the partnership. Luke Young started that season brilliantly at right back but with Shorey struggling MON moved him to left back and Cuellar to right back for the game at Arsenal. I dont think he changed it back for the rest of the season. Cuellar was good in the air but without Young on the right we had neither full back pushing on which made us very predictable at home later that season.

Cuellar was poor imo at right back. He didnt like getting drawn to the touchline but was good when he tucked in, particularly in the air which wasnt Luke Young's strength. He was better defensively the season after with Collins and Dunne but his lack of ability on the ball was very apparent against weaker sides. Remember him having a good game next to Dunne at Old Trafford when we won (how times have changed!!) but Collins and Dunne was the better partnership in 09/10. 10/11, he was unlucky not to retain his place after a superb display at Wolves but he was injured a good bit and played poorly enough when given chances too.

Dont see the point either of letting his contract run out like Reo Coker. That is just piss poor financial management again by the board. Take the 3m now if someone offers it or else extend his deal by a year if we want him as cover. Imo if we are serious about Clark, then he needs to be third choice at a minimum centre half next season. Not too bothered which of Collins or Cuellar stays but Collins is younger. Think Dunne will have a massive season next time out with Euro 2014 approaching.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal