collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Cuellar likely to stay for another season  (Read 14486 times)

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Re: Cuellar likely to stay for another season
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 10:48:47 AM »
Good. I hope he gets a new contract as well.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »
On his day (pre-MON tinkering) he's easily a better centre half than either Collins or Dunne. He's also not a git like the other two.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
On his day (pre-MON tinkering) he's easily a better centre half than either Collins or Dunne. He's also not a git like the other two.

No, just not true.

He'd a decent old fashioned blocker but the other two can pass the ball where he appears to have triangular feet. He did a good job as a right back where he also acted as a third centre back for set pieces but he's just one of your causes to continue your tedious anti O'Neill campaign so you have to pretend he's better than he is.

That said I'm pleased he's staying because otherwise we'd have to buy a replacement.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »

No, just not true.

He'd a decent old fashioned blocker but the other two can pass the ball where he appears to have triangular feet. He did a good job as a right back where he also acted as a third centre back for set pieces but he's just one of your causes to continue your tedious anti O'Neill campaign so you have to pretend he's better than he is.

That said I'm pleased he's staying because otherwise we'd have to buy a replacement.

bollocks. As a right-back he was completely utterly average, but was a victim of one of MON's ego trips. If you want an average right-back then buy one instead of forking out a fortune on a good centre half and turning him into one.

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:16 AM »

No, just not true.

bollocks. As a right-back he was completely utterly average, but was a victim of one of MON's ego trips. If you want an average right-back then buy one instead of forking out a fortune on a good centre half and turning him into one.

Has there been a single day of your time posting on here in the last 12 months when you haven't mentioned MON? You're as bad as that other obsessive Mrs Overall.

Let it go man, you'll feel so much better.

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 11:38:16 AM »
nice changing of the subject there, but you know i'm right :)

Online Chris Smith

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
nice changing of the subject there, but you know i'm right :)

I don't think you've ever been intentionally right about anything since you started gracing this site with your imaginative take on things.

Collins and Dunne are a better partnership than Cuellar with either of them, that's why he wasn't able to establish himself. He did a good job at right back and consequently we had a very solid defence for a season.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Carlos is very unlucky to have not played more. He's more reliable than Dunne and Collins IMO. Never mind the fact he can't pass a ball, he's a defender, so first and foremost, he needs to defend. Aside from anything, under McCleish, we're probably not gonna be having ball playing centre-backs, and playing from the back. Dunne and Collins are hardly Maldini either. Plus Collins is often guilty of being too ambitious on the ball and gives the ball away just as often as Carlos may do.

For me his attitude makes him more consistent. He's not prone to concentration lapses like Collins, nor is he quite as cumbersome. Dunney, you just never know who's gonna show up. The top class man mountain CB, or the fat pub player.

I also think, of all our central defenders, Carlos reads the game better than the others, and covers his fullbacks very well.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Good. A talent that has not been used as much as he should have been up to now.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
Excellent decision.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »
Cuellar is shit loads better than Collins. Dunne, if he stays professional and fit is somewhat better than Cuellar but that is a big if. I'm delighted he's staying and hope he stays longer. It should be him and Dunne battling to play alongside a new signing.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »

No, just not true.

Really?

Dunne maybe, but the ginger leg swinger isn't the most accomplished passers of the ball.

Poor Carlos. When he was played at right back, it was because he's defensively sound, and it didn't matter that he can't pass the ball.

Now he's unable to get a game at CB, because he can't pass the ball.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »
Good news, a good player at centre back and also who I thought at the time was a very decent full back for that season he played there.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »
Let's face it, we're not going to be constructing moves from centre half; we rarely construct them from central midfield.  Considering what our defence was like for most of last season, skill on the ball shouldn't be one of the top criteria when choosing our centre halves.  Carlos and one of Dunne or Collins would do, if we don't buy a new one.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »
Good news. He is much better than Dullins. It lessens the pressure on us to sign centre backs too. We still need one mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal