collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our Squad  (Read 12300 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Our Squad
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 10:31:43 AM »
For me;

4-5-1 or 4-3-3 formation, and getting use of Delph/Bannan but playing them in the only role they are really suited to, a playmaker behind the striker.

GK; Given/Foster, Guzan, Marshall.
RB: Walker/Hutton, Lichaj.
LB: L Young, Warnock
CB: Dann/AN Other, Cuellar, Dunne, Clark, Baker
RW: Albrighton
LW: N'Zogbia
CM: Milner, Reo Coker, Makoun, Petrov, Hogg
PM: Delph, Bannan.
CF: Bent, Agbonlahor, Delfouneso.

24 man squad - should be plenty considering we are not in europe and most of those would be in serious contention for a place.
Milner is an unlikely one, but he could cover out wide both sides or even in the playmaker position. Agbonlahor could also cover out wide.
Clark could cover LB, LYoung either side, Cuellar RB etc, so we would have plenty there in my opinion.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
How many over 21 players do we have at the moment?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »
How many over 21 players do we have at the moment?

In my day, we used to worry about how many over 30 players we had.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
bumping for its value as a point of contention.

since the post on page 1 we have lost 4 more from the squad and 1 for half a season to an injury that has long term implications if not treated and rested in the correct way,
we have added N'zogbia whos going to take time to gel with the team and realise at villa he is allowed to pass as hes no longer the only show in the town,
we have added enda stevens potentially another sheamus coleman but equally a potential o'halloran,
we are sniffing around not 1 but 2 spurs rejects 1 of which i'll welcome as we desperately need a rb and huttons not bad but friken jermaine (jesus how did i ever play for england) jenas. on a day where parker and dann both moved for 5 million each and palascios for 8 to blackburn spurs and stoke is getting silly now. we need a player like dann and palascios for what its worth would shield bannan perfectly.
i have come to terms with not winning the league/fa cup/league cup/european qualification but i desperately want to remain close enough to leave that glimmer of hope that this year may be our year.
gone are the days of big signings and fair enough but when you have 3 or 4 rather large holes in your squad they should be filled.
cb, cm, rb, young winger all could have been filled for under 20 million for decent quality players. if we are bottom 3 in jan how much will we panic splurge then?

heres hoping for at least 1 promising or surprising development in the next 3 hours

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 08:20:27 PM »
heres hoping for at least 1 promising or surprising development in the next 3 hours

Don't hold your breath!

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »

Don't hold your breath!

i would genuinely take some solace in trying for a 18-22 year old promising lower league cm as it has the x factor but jenas! i hope the loan has a cancellation clause in it, no point paying him to warm our bench

Offline Villanation

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »
bumping for its value as a point of contention.

since the post on page 1 we have lost 4 more from the squad and 1 for half a season to an injury that has long term implications if not treated and rested in the correct way,
we have added N'zogbia whos going to take time to gel with the team and realise at villa he is allowed to pass as hes no longer the only show in the town,
we have added enda stevens potentially another sheamus coleman but equally a potential o'halloran,
we are sniffing around not 1 but 2 spurs rejects 1 of which i'll welcome as we desperately need a rb and huttons not bad but friken jermaine (jesus how did i ever play for england) jenas. on a day where parker and dann both moved for 5 million each and palascios for 8 to blackburn spurs and stoke is getting silly now. we need a player like dann and palascios for what its worth would shield bannan perfectly.
i have come to terms with not winning the league/fa cup/league cup/european qualification but i desperately want to remain close enough to leave that glimmer of hope that this year may be our year.
gone are the days of big signings and fair enough but when you have 3 or 4 rather large holes in your squad they should be filled.
cb, cm, rb, young winger all could have been filled for under 20 million for decent quality players. if we are bottom 3 in jan how much will we panic splurge then?

My impression is Randy Lerner is going for consolidation, he does it at the Browns, goes through a period of getting the most from the little and I feel that this is the real business behind the AM appointment as opposed to most managers saying right at the outset, "how much have i got to spend".

The squad is wafer thin IMO, if players like Gabby (like last season) or Bent got laid up with injury we would struggle badly, aside from that we have players that simply don't have it about them to do a full shift and traditionally fade around the 70min mark, (Petrov) nothing wrong with that, many players have a stamina problem but most clubs have cover, and as the season goes on that period in the game will get less and less and that's when you need the depth.

Tough season but then it was always going to be.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 08:25:08 PM »
I've lost track of everything to be honest. Who's injured for half a season?

EDIT- Never mind, just seen it's Eric. Don't think he'd play much anyway.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:28:36 PM by supertom »

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:03 PM »
For me;

Milner is an unlikely one, but he could cover out wide both sides or even in the playmaker position. Agbonlahor could also cover out wide.

Milner Milner Milner oh yes bound to sign, cant think why any one hasnt thought of that

Offline PaulMcGrathsNo5Shirt

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »
So, we need to submit a squad of 25 players by 5pm on Friday

1. Given
2. Hutton
3. Warnock
5. Dunne
6. Collins
7. Ireland
8. Jenas
9. Bent
10. N'Zogbia
11. Agbonlahor
12. Albrighton
13. Marshall
14. Delfouneso
16. Delph
18. Heskey
19. Petrov
21. Clark
22. Guzan
23. Beye
24. Cuellar
25. Bannon

30. Lihaj
31. Herd
32. Baker ***
34. Lowry
38. Gardner ***

The asterisk players I believe don't have to be registered due to their age.

That makes a squad of 24 players - we can't even fill the squad limit of 25 players. Maybe Alex will be bringing in an out of contract player or there is one still to come in that may not have been announced

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
James McFadden hasn't fixed up a club yet...

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
I can still see him bringing McFadden in. He can take a free kick, but that is about it.

Edit - Amazed that he is only 28. Maybe he is worth a short term, better than Didier Agathe!

Everton would be my bet though.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 09:49:16 PM »
McLeish did get some good form out of him at Scotland.

He's consistently inconsistent though.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
Through the season there are Injuries and suspensions, a bad run of these and that squad will be found wanting. Add to this that AM is very much in the MON mould of picking the same players week in week out.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »
Really think he would be good for our squad. Nothing to do with having the same birthday. (Within the same 24 hours.)  Except he would have the power of the god of Mars, which is never something you would knowingly turn down.  Just saying. Mars.

God of War and all that.

Total annihilation.

I love him!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal