collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: IS McLeish the new Saunders ??  (Read 16346 times)

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Re: IS McLeish the new Saunders ??
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
The time to judge AM's capabilities as a Villa manager will be about three months into the 2012/13 season.
By then he will have had three transfer windows to get rid of players he doesn't want and to bring in players he thinks will do a good job.
I'll grant him leeway this season because it will be his transition season, but by this time next year we should have a good idea what HIS team will look like.
All the talk about him being "The New Saunders" is well premature. Yes I can see the similarities in their personalities and their approach to discipline, but being a strict disciplinarian in the dressing room doesn't bring success by it's self, you also need the force of personality that makes the players want to play for you week in week out. From what I've been told by people who know, Mr. Saunders had both these qualities in spades.
So in answer to the question, AM could turn out to be a real gem. But I'll reserve judgment until he's just finished building his third successful Villa team, we are League Champions and in the latter stages of the Champions League, and he has walked out in a huff and joined one of our local rivals and promptly relegated them!!

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
He's just someone doing his job. He needs to be given a chance. Yes, I know he doesn't exactly have a great track record but who knows what he can achieve at a decent club with a decent team, a decent infra-structure and a decent owner? Yes, I am talking about us.
I know its the 2 man league n all but Mcleish had the upper hand while he was up there. He won 9 trophies in 5 years compared to mons 7 in 5 years. Everyone concentrates on the relegation of sha but he got them their highest place finish in 50 odd years, won them their 1st meaningful trophey and their in europe next season, when he took them over they were shite.
Our biggest problem last season was the defence, he will sort that out and I think we at least win a trophey next season

Offline fitzy

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
Lets all meet up again in 2 years time, and discuss his qualities then, he will still be there I have no doubt about that !!!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
As others have pointed out there are some superficial similarities in the type of appointment but that's about as far as you can go as there is nothing to go on other than a few words in the press.

I have a feeling that he could do a more than decent job but equally it could tits up but whatever happens I can't really imagine myself on the pitch at Hillsborough in the mud singing his name which is just about my best memory from the Saunders era..

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say no.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal